C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Keyed Harmonic Balancer hub Options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Keyed Harmonic Balancer hub Options?

So I am in the process of rebuilding my blown motor, but here's my question, from what I have researched on the forums to get an Optispark off you can normally take off the three bolts holding on the Crank pulley to the hub and then line up the Y shaped hub and pop off the Optispark with out pulling the hub correct?

If so, I have an after market keyed hub (prob ATI brand) and it is a full circle faced hub similar to the ones that Jegs sells that are keyed. My engine builder is willing to get me a Y shaped stock hub. So that if in case I do need to change my Opti again (planning on buying a new one) it wont be as bad as having to either pull the motor again or getting a hub puller.

Any suggestions on anyone who can put a key in a Harmonic Balancer hub? Or am I asking a stupid question? Is it just as easy to rent a puller every time I need to get access to the opti?

I have called everyone locally in Dallas and I have searched for an aftermarket keyed but they all seem to be of the circular shaped hubs.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Had my machinist double key both the crank and the balancer on mine.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:03 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would suggest buying a balancer that you can remove the outer ring on. I have changed my opti a few times on my car. I have the ATI balancer from greg at blowerworks. Changin the opti with this balancer is as easy as removing the ring bolts, sliding it forward and pulling the opti.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Had my machinist double key both the crank and the balancer on mine.
Yea, My builder said he would if he could but doesn't have the ability to do that anymore. It doesn't seem like anyone else does either... Mind sharing your machinist info? Ill pm
Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by smooth1990
I would suggest buying a balancer that you can remove the outer ring on. I have changed my opti a few times on my car. I have the ATI balancer from greg at blowerworks. Changin the opti with this balancer is as easy as removing the ring bolts, sliding it forward and pulling the opti.
Yea, that's another option though I am not sure if I want to go that route yet. I am keeping my P600b unit for now until I decide to swap to a DS1C unit down the road. At that point I don't know if the hub for a P600b 6rib will match a D1SC.... I believe its an 8rib...?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Lucky !
Suppose you run the ATI 6+8 balancer I sell. The front 6 ribs are for the GM accessories and if you have the ProCharger P600 bracket and pulley - it too.
The back 8 ribs remain unused. Now with either your P600 or the D1SC you buy my ProCharger bracket for your car. Now you will use the back 8 ribs to drive your blower or if budget dictates use the back 8 ribs with a 6 rib belt to drive your P600 !!!!!!!
greg
Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by luckydekko
Yea, My builder said he would if he could but doesn't have the ability to do that anymore. It doesn't seem like anyone else does either... Mind sharing your machinist info? Ill pm
Sure no problem

http://www.qmpracing.com/

Did a great job
Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Also the GM crank is already keyed so just need a keyed balancer. Double key is nice but probably not needed with the the ATI balancer.

For whatever reason on the GM LTx they decided to use a pressed on balancer EVEN though the crank is/was keyed !!!!!!!!!

Go figure .................
Old 10-21-2014, 03:23 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Smooth, So your saying all I would have to do with Greg's ATI 6+8 damper is take off the three bolts holding on the Harmonic blancer to the Harmonica balancer hub and I should be able to pull any optispark off without needing to pull the hub as well? If you can confirm this I will go that way. I talked to Greg, he said he couldn't confirm that but he believes so.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:28 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Sure no problem

http://www.qmpracing.com/

Did a great job
Looks very good, thank you for the info Brian! I will keep that incase this Damper idea doesn't work.

Just to be clear, since I never had an original hub on this car I am assuming if I did that I can pull the opti off as easy had just taking off the Crank pulley with three bolts and then lining up the Y Harmonic balancer hub to allow for clearance?

I had a great talk with Greg this morning so I am hoping that I can just get a 6+8 and be done with this whole opti PITA prob... lol I know it wont be easy but hopefully easier
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Smooth, So your saying all I would have to do with Greg's ATI 6+8 damper is take off the three bolts holding on the Harmonic blancer to the Harmonica balancer hub and I should be able to pull any optispark off without needing to pull the hub as well? If you can confirm this I will go that way. I talked to Greg, he said he couldn't confirm that but he believes so.
Essentially yes. BUT there is more than 3 bolts. There are 6 12 point 3/8 bolts and 6 hex head screws. Pull those out and you can slide the ring forward and then get to the opti screws. Its alot simpler than trying to get the whole hub and everything of. Also since you have a blower, the 8 rib on gregs balancer will help alot in the future if and when you go to a d1sc. As greg said, you can still run the balancer with your current setup. That is actually what I did when I had the P600 on my car last year. Since then I have upgraded to a D1SC.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Here is a picture of the face of gregs balancer. that is JUST the ring that goes around the hub on the crankshaft. You can see the bolt holes where the bolts mount the ring to the hub. It takes me about 2 hours to change the opti on my car with this balancer and gregs bracket and the D1sc. The balancer makes it alot easier than a stock GM balancer would.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Here is a picture of the face of gregs balancer. that is JUST the ring that goes around the hub on the crankshaft. You can see the bolt holes where the bolts mount the ring to the hub. It takes me about 2 hours to change the opti on my car with this balancer and gregs bracket and the D1sc. The balancer makes it alot easier than a stock GM balancer would.

Oh ok, so the difference is that I just have to take the bolts out of the ring on top of the three bolts? I am assuming that that ring is much smaller than lets say the length of the prongs on the original Y Harmonic balancer hub? Here is an example of my hub from Jegs.. only mine only has three holes for just the crank hub pulley. The problem is when its pressed on the bottom of the opti wont come out because of that ring diameter is to big.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...rentProductId=

Do you have a pic of what the hub looks like? As much as I hate to ask that. Just curious how that mounts to the hub. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Oh ok, so the difference is that I just have to take the bolts out of the ring on top of the three bolts? I am assuming that that ring is much smaller than lets say the length of the prongs on the original Y Harmonic balancer hub? Here is an example of my hub from Jegs.. only mine only has three holes for just the crank hub pulley. The problem is when its pressed on the bottom of the opti wont come out because of that ring diameter is to big.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...rentProductId=

Do you have a pic of what the hub looks like? As much as I hate to ask that. Just curious how that mounts to the hub. Thanks for all the help!
I can take one tonight. It just slides over the hub and bolts to it.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:26 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

When I did my opti I needed to take the separate mount off as well.

It just wouldn't clear
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

It just wouldn't clear
I've never had a problem. I just slide it forward and use a Allen wrench to pull the bottom bolt . Comes right off. Never a issue. I just pulled my engine. I will take pics tonight when I get home.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

It just wouldn't clear
The separate mount being the Hub? Did you use a puller?

Get notified of new replies

To Keyed Harmonic Balancer hub Options?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

I've never had a problem. I just slide it forward and use a Allen wrench to pull the bottom bolt . Comes right off. Never a issue. I just pulled my engine. I will take pics tonight when I get home.
Greg sent me some pics but unfortunatly it doesnt really help. If you guys say that the opti can come off with the crank pulley off but hub on then thats good enough for me. Plus when I switch to a D1 someaday one less thing I need besides gregs bracket. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:25 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Greg sent me some pics but unfortunatly it doesnt really help. If you guys say that the opti can come off with the crank pulley off but hub on then thats good enough for me. Plus when I switch to a D1 someaday one less thing I need besides gregs bracket. Thanks for the help guys!
I swear to you on my 1992 corvette with a 383 lt4 I have had the opti on and off 3 times or more. Ive never pulled the hub itself. Just the ring.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Quick Reply: Keyed Harmonic Balancer hub Options?