C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortech oil supply lost how durable are these blowers with loss of oil supply?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Vortech oil supply lost how durable are these blowers with loss of oil supply?

Hi

Yesterday i noticed my vortech blower was a lot louder than normal, i thaught perhaps the air inlet hose came loose?

I was in heavy stop start traffic and waited till i could pull over into a parking lot, i checked the hoses all ok.
I checked the engine oil pressure that was fine 40-70psi, thaught huh?!? i loosened the oil feed hose and found no oil flow?!?!?!

I drove the car up on a gutter and looked under the car and removed the oil supply hose, totally blocked but no oil in the hose (how can that be when there is an oil filter)?.
Lucky i kept a spare oil supply hose and connected that to the blower, started it up and went quiet right away. now has oil flow, is there a special oil supply hose we need to use?

My original one had a leak and have a refrigerant hose (teflon type) that can handle a few thousand PSi, it looks like the hose had enough and swelled inside totaly blocking oil flow and 70 psi of it?!?!?

Anyway my question is how durable are these straight cut gears, and bearings as she ran dry and could have been dry for 30 miles before i noticed the noise at idle as traffic buit up. (all with low rpm in heavy traffic)

She is perfectly quiet now with just that whine you get from staright cut gears which she has always had the last 8 or so years?
Will the bearings or gears be ruined? Hopefully the aditives in the oil have saved the bearings and gears.

Have any of you guys with vortech oil feed blowers come accross this before? did they survive the loss of oil for a short time?

Thanks for reading this far

Gerard

Last edited by gerardvg; 12-11-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:09 PM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Yesterday i noticed my vortech blower was a lot louder than normal, i thaught perhaps the air inlet hose came loose?

I was in heavy stop start traffic and waited till i could pull over into a parking lot, i checked the hoses all ok.
I checked the engine oil pressure that was fine 40-70psi, thaught huh?!? i loosened the oil feed hose and found no oil flow?!?!?!

I drove the car up on a gutter and looked under the car and removed the oil supply hose, totally blocked but no oil in the hose (how can that be when there is an oil filter)?.
Lucky i kept a spare oil supply hose and connected that to the blower, started it up and went quiet right away. now has oil flow, is there a special oil supply hose we need to use?

My original one had a leak and have a refrigerant hose (teflon type) that can handle a few thousand PSi, it looks like the hose had enough and swelled inside totaly blocking oil flow and 70 psi of it?!?!?

Anyway my question is how durable are these straight cut gears, and bearings as she ran dry and could have been dry for 30 miles before i noticed the noise at idle as traffic buit up. (all with low rpm in heavy traffic)

She is perfectly quiet now with just that whine you get from staright cut gears which she has always had the last 8 or so years?
Will the bearings or gears be ruined? Hopefully the aditives in the oil have saved the bearings and gears.

Have any of you guys with vortech oil feed blowers come accross this before? did they survive the loss of oil for a short time?

Thanks for reading this far

Gerard
Sounds like you are the one who will be providing the information on how well they endure loss of lubrication. Hope everything is OK
Old 12-14-2014, 02:32 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT1inaMGB
Sounds like you are the one who will be providing the information on how well they endure loss of lubrication. Hope everything is OK
Hi

As usual things go in threes, first the oil supply problem which is fixed and no abnormal noises, she has been running great UNTIL...

Last night the car started running rough, code 34.
Pulled the maf from the intercooler piping , saw what looked like a bit of fluff inside no glow when testing burn off, removed the screen and found it is the sensing wire started to disintegrate. Lucky i have a spare maf and fitted it all ok.

Then today the antenna stopped working.
Found a simple wire come of the connector, fixed that and all going well again.

Can i relax now and be sure nothing will fail this year.
She has not had any troubles this year before the blower oil feed issue.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 PM
chevytuned
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got lucky vortech uses cheep bearings with a plastic piece that separates the bearings. If that plastic piece fails the bearings will move to one side and the shaft will lean rubbing the impeller against the housing. Not a good sound at all lol.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As usual things go in threes, first the oil supply problem which is fixed and no abnormal noises, she has been running great UNTIL...

Yes That is correct
Old 02-01-2015, 01:07 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Is the MAF before or after the blower?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:34 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Is the MAF before or after the blower?
Hi the maf had been after intercooler for the last 7 years, i have changed it recently to the inlet at the air filter before the blower.
I had pulled the intercooller and had replaced it with a pipe to keep it running with a/c during summer, well that did not last long and the maf got cooked. That is why the air filter is now on the intake.

Illenema Yes things come in threes, the oil supply thing then the fuel pump died on Jan 2 then the transmission a few days later.

She is now running fine, i got lucky with the loss of oil to the blower.
Has been a couple of thousand miles ago, no abnormal noises.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech oil supply lost how durable are these blowers with loss of oil supply?

Quick Reply: Vortech oil supply lost how durable are these blowers with loss of oil supply?