C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

It's not fast enough!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default It's not fast enough!

Hello. I have an '85 Corvette with a Minirammed and AFR headed 350 with 107k miles. It made 344 rwhp and 343 rwtq on the chassis dyno. I'm using a Doug Nash 4+3 so that comes out to roughly 405 hp and 405 tq at the crank.

I want to be faster. I am looking into using nitrous but I am concerned on whether or not my engine will hold up. When I was on the dyno I did notice a puff of blue smoke when the guy let off at around 6000 RPMs.

The car was not dyno tuned but tuned on the street. So it still has a little left in it.

So that begs the question, how much horsepower can a high mileage 350 handle? I only want to throw a 100 shot at it.

Right now it is very streetable and sounds and performs very strong, like a brand new car.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Jay7199
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will be fine on a 100 shot
Old 01-28-2015, 12:59 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes the 100 shot should help as A SC will be Quite a bit more
Old 01-28-2015, 08:28 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

You can pay $1000 for a nitrous kit with all the safety bells and whistles. If you pay less than that then you are cutting corners..

Or you can pay $6k for a properly setup blower/meth inj system

Nitrous was a downer. Its frustrating that you will run rich and make less power or anything other than a full tank -even if you are using a bottle heater to spray at the same psi. (this is hard for the internet know it all heroes to understand, but a bottle heater wont get back the lost hp when you have less liquid nitrous flashing into gaseous form in that bottle tube)

Wouldnt that be annoying if your car made less power on a half tank of gas vs. Full?

Well thats nitrous folks.

I hear there are some 'new' nano nitrogen piggyback bottles that you can buy and hook up that might help out with the issue i described above. So now i have $2k + invested in a nitrous system.....

i would call greg@blowerworks and at least talk about blowers before doing nitrous.

I did 100 shots nitrous all day long on my stock bottom end lt1 which is now boosted and makes >500 rwhp at 5000 and up rpm (note i dont run above 6000 rpm since i have a stock bottom end but thats fine im making plenty of power and dont need the rpm to do so).
Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

I'm not really interested in boosting this car. I had plans for a 383 or a 396 stroker down the road and I was also going to use nitrous on that. So I figure since I was going to use nitrous on it anyway I may as well buy it now have a little more fun with my engine as it sits now.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:57 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I'm not really interested in boosting this car. I had plans for a 383 or a 396 stroker down the road and I was also going to use nitrous on that. So I figure since I was going to use nitrous on it anyway I may as well buy it now have a little more fun with my engine as it sits now.
That was my plan too, i was going to do nitrous But ran into those limitations.

another limitation you will run into is the torque boost from nitrous rapidly dissipates as rpm goes up.

be sure to do the following safety items:

Add ahotwire racetronix 255 l/hr in tank pump. You just need one for 100 hp shot

Window switch.

I still have my old nx wet nitrous kit (with all the bells and whistles) in my garage...
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

So that begs the question, how much horsepower can a high mileage 350 handle? I only want to throw a 100 shot at it.
That question cannot be answered, b/c no one knows the condition of your short block. Isn't this the same short block that you were claiming was burning oil and had blow-by? But passed a leak down test?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That question cannot be answered, b/c no one knows the condition of your short block. Isn't this the same short block that you were claiming was burning oil and had blow-by? But passed a leak down test?
Yes. Smoked a puff of blue smoke when the dyno guy let off at 6000 RPMs.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:09 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Yes. Smoked a puff of blue smoke when the dyno guy let off at 6000 RPMs.
Juice it and then you will get annoyed with nitrous limitations and end up boosting it - as i did mine and it works great.

Im thinking about boost + juice on my stock bottom end.

as long as you dont detonate its all good.

The corvette is 'light" which goes a long way to prolonging the life of a cast crank imho
Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi Daniel

It all depends how often you want to floor it, nitrous is a sweet sensation however it doesnt last long.

The 85 came with forged pistons standard so its asking for a shot of nitrous, as long as you do not over do it you will be fine.

My previous car (an AMC Hornet) had a nitrous oxide system was a 250 shot with various h/p nozzles, I think it was two stage system it gave you 100 or so on launch then the rest as you were moving.
The only let up was when i lifted the gas pedal, the second stage felt like you were rear ended. Its a massive rush but too many people make the mistake of pushing their luck with standard engines, keeping it to 100 h/p shots is fine.

There were too many laws on Nitrous oxide in Australia, you were not allowed to have it connected on the street.
It also got very expensive filling the bottle, you got several runs but it barely lasted the night.

I have now changed to a blower, the law here sees it as an engine modification. It's a bit of work fitting a blower however 8 or 10 psi boost will have 400 hp at the wheels on a otherwise standard engine. anymore than 10 psi you need a forged steel crank and rods with forged pistons of course.

Enjoy the NOS rush!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Blower all the way!

Get notified of new replies

To It's not fast enough!

Quick Reply: It's not fast enough!