C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone modify the frame under the harmonic balancer to fit a bigger blower pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Anyone modify the frame under the harmonic balancer to fit a bigger blower pulley?

I heard mention of someone doing this about a year ago. Anyone have pics or a link to pics? I'm curious to see what they did and how it worked out.

Anyone know the largest crank pulley that'll fit in the stock arrangement?

Some of the f body guys are running huge ones; like 8.5".

Finally, is there a way to fit an ati 10 rib blower, 6 rib accessory belt system with the older standard rotation Carroll system for ltx?

I recall seeing a 12 rib blower/ 6 rib acc for pro charger reverse rotation but I don't recall what was needed to get it to fit(it's been about 5 years)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:49 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
I heard mention of someone doing this about a year ago. Anyone have pics or a link to pics? I'm curious to see what they did and how it worked out.

Anyone know the largest crank pulley that'll fit in the stock arrangement?

Some of the f body guys are running huge ones; like 8.5".

Finally, is there a way to fit an ati 10 rib blower, 6 rib accessory belt system with the older standard rotation Carroll system for ltx?

I recall seeing a 12 rib blower/ 6 rib acc for pro charger reverse rotation but I don't recall what was needed to get it to fit(it's been about 5 years)
This on L98 not LT-I fit a 7.75 inch pulley without any modification needed; should be similar clearance.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:38 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

I think the clearance is tighter on the ltx motors. I don't have all that much room under my blower works one which is 7.35" at the belt and maybe 7.5" overall.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:57 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If the engine is out you can easily notch the crossmember with a hand grinder - whiz tool.

BUT a custom one off harmonic balancer may cost you a small fortune ! The 'F' body guys just use a larger crank pulley.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the insight Greg. Yes the custom ati stuff is expensive. I have a $700 paper weight (35mm cog and 6 rib drive). That price was just for the shell.

I'm a ways away from pulling the engine so for now so im daydreaming for now.

Is there room to go 10 rib in any way? Have you ever seen that?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you run my MegaGrip pulley not needed !
Old 04-10-2015, 10:16 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

My biggest issue is that I can only hit about 65% of the blowers max impeller rpm. I'm already running a 2.75" pulley but I don't run enough rpm to spin it hard.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:00 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

I did it on my 85, as I have coilovers.
I used oxy acetylene and cut a section of the cross member, I bent it down to clear a larger crank pulley and fitted a piece of metal and welded it so the cross member is in one piece.

I have a race type harmonic balancer and did not have to remove it just the pulley.

You have to see how much clearance there is between the cross member and spring, I suppose that would only be half an inch.

perhaps getting a blower with better step up gearing is an option if you use the composite spring, there is very little clearance between the cross member and standard crank pulley.
You have no option but cutting a section from the cross member.
and perhaps going to coilovers depending on the size of the pulley you want to fit on the crank.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:40 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

I did it on my 85, as I have coilovers.
I used oxy acetylene and cut a section of the cross member, I bent it down to clear a larger crank pulley and fitted a piece of metal and welded it so the cross member is in one piece.

I have a race type harmonic balancer and did not have to remove it just the pulley.

You have to see how much clearance there is between the cross member and spring, I suppose that would only be half an inch.

perhaps getting a blower with better step up gearing is an option if you use the composite spring, there is very little clearance between the cross member and standard crank pulley.
You have no option but cutting a section from the cross member.
and perhaps going to coilovers depending on the size of the pulley you want to fit on the crank.
I'd be very curious to see some photos of your work. How much larger of a pulley are you running?

I'm currently running coil overs all around.

As a side note about the 12 rib setup I mentioned a few posts prior, that was accomplished by getting rid of the opti cap to allow more belt width.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:59 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Wouldnt you have to cut the front and underneith...?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Yup, that's why I'd like to see photos of what guys have done

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone modify the frame under the harmonic balancer to fit a bigger blower pulley?

Quick Reply: Anyone modify the frame under the harmonic balancer to fit a bigger blower pulley?