C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil weight with forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Oil weight with forced induction

I have a stock internal LT1 with a remote mount turbo setup and i am wondering if I should be running a thicker weight oil now with the turbo? I am currently running 5W 30 Mobil 1.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Impala Balko
I have a stock internal LT1 with a remote mount turbo setup and i am wondering if I should be running a thicker weight oil now with the turbo? I am currently running 5W 30 Mobil 1.
Hi

Thin oil flows better cold, Mobil 1 is ideal.
I would not worry too much about the Mobil 1 oil, good oil pressure is vital.
A high volume high pressure oil pump is the way to go.

Thicker oil would only really be of help if your rings were not sealing, to control oil burning.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Most engine wear on a 'normal' car engine occurs at start-up. So a 'regular' car that starts and stops many times a day benefits from say 0W-30 as far as reducing engine wear. The thinner oil gets to the parts quicker.

Also it takes energy to pump oil - thicker oil equals less MPG. Same reason that track racers may run the 1/4 faster with less oil in the crankcase at the expense of the engine.

Now on a high horsepower SBC I recommend 20W-50 to reduce bearing wear etc. I tell people start your car and let it idle for a full 5 minutes. Then when you drive it wait until coolant temp reaches 180F before any heavy throttle and I also tell them no WOT until engine oil reaches 200F. On a garage queen the number of start/stops is inconsequential to bearing wear but passing 600 or more HP thru the bearings is brutal on thin oil.

No oil will fix a worn engine but proper oil on a fresh engine may extend its' life or prevent premature failure. Just my humble opinion ! greg

Last edited by BlowerWorks; 05-29-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Ronaldo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your opinion on something like a 5W-50 or 10W-60 instead of 20W-50?

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
Most engine wear on a 'normal' car engine occurs at start-up. So a 'regular' car that starts and stops many times a day benefits from say 0W-30 as far as reducing engine wear. The thinner oil gets to the parts quicker.

Also it takes energy to pump oil - thicker oil equals less MPG. Same reason that track racers may run the 1/4 faster with less oil in the crankcase at the expense of the engine.

Now on a high horsepower SBC I recommend 20W-50 to reduce bearing wear etc. I tell people start your car and let it idle for a full 5 minutes. Then when you drive it wait until coolant temp reaches 180F before any heavy throttle and I also tell them no WOT until engine oil reaches 200F. On a garage queen the number of start/stops is inconsequential to bearing wear but passing 600 or more HP thru the bearings is brutal on thin oil.

No oil will fix a worn engine but proper oil on a fresh engine may extend its' life or prevent premature failure. Just my humble opinion ! greg
Old 06-01-2015, 06:24 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would stay away from over the counter conventional oil if I have a high hp motor. If your going high temps off and on and or live somewhere that is in the upper temps all the time you will find that your engine wont start pitting and coming apart with better oils. I am on Joe Gibbs, AMSoil, Brad Penn... All seem to be better than Mobile 1. My car had nothing but Mobile 1 and changed it religiously since I have owned it and seems like it ended up killing the cam and rockers amongst other things.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Go to the AMSOIL website and see the tech bulletin " Flat Tappet TSB "

Can't seem to copy link but get your eyes ready ! Modern engine oil additives limited due to CAT life !

The attached Bulletin shows that the Dominator Oil does have a little bit more zinc than does the Z-Rod Oil. The advantage of eh Z-Rod oil is in its ablity to prevent rust and corrosion during periods of non or little actual engine operation. I don’t think the small difference in zinc level is significant in your case, unless you are changing the oil after every race or run. (For your information, new car oils are limited to less than 800 ppm of zinc, and that is the concern most people have.)

Dominator 15-50 more than 1400 ppm !
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Flat Tappet TSB (2).pdf (51.6 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by BlowerWorks; 06-04-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add Amsoil PDF

Get notified of new replies

To Oil weight with forced induction

Quick Reply: Oil weight with forced induction