C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I WANT THE TRUTH (about supercharging an L98)!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 10:41 AM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I WANT THE TRUTH (about supercharging an L98)!

I first started seeing supercharging kits for the Corvette in magazines back in '88-'89 and was very intregued by what was being written. These kits where from companies like The Carrol Supercharging Company (using Paxton superchargers) and where being praised as "simple bolt-on performance". In fact, one magazine even said that with a Paxton Supercharged L98 Corvette, you didn't have to hock your first born to run with a ZR1! With statements like that you can't blame me for being impressed: just buy a $4000 kit that I can bolt up to my '89 without so much as looking at the rest of my engine (let along changing/rebuilding anything) and I get instant gratification! Sweet...sign me up!

But from what I've read in this forum, it seems like these supercharging kits are anything BUT bolt-on. I've seen/read about some of you guys who bolt up these supercharging kits (on L98s/LT1s/LT4s) looking for that same gratification, and instead end up with nothing but head aches: blown head gaskets, broken rods, lean fuel conditions, etc... :eek: . I just replaced the head gaskets on my L98, and I am in no mood to go through that mess again!

So I want the truth: are these supercharging kits really bolt on items, or do I have to pull my engine and have it completely rebuilt in order to supercharge it properly. All I am looking for is a 'good' boost in horsepower without getting too crazy. Much like what was being talked about in those magazines. I'm not looking to run 12lbs. of boost and an 8000rpm redline - I just want to know that my stock engine won't explode if I get one of these Stage 1 type kits and just bolt it up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:02 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (about supercharging an L98)! (TheCorvetteKid)

Depends on what you consider a bolt on. Technically it is a bolt on becuase you don't have to muck with the internals. Is it in the same league of bolt on as exhaust, or a K&N??? NO!!!

just buy a $4000 kit that I can bolt up to my '89 without so much as looking at the rest of my engine
Not true. You have to look at your fuel delivery, EGR, manifold pressure, AF mixture, fuel pressure. In fact, supercharging means you have to tune tune tune and watch your engine very closely.

Can it be reliable? I HOPE so. I'm not done yet, but from what everyone says, and I believe, tuning and keeping an eye on your motor is what makes F/I reliable and NOT just simply bolting it on and gunning it at every stop light.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:47 AM
krivera
Drifting

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (vvv90)

i agree with VVV90...it is a bolt on "yes" but there is some tuning to be done just as if you run NOS or Turbo's and i would say running a blower is a little bit harder to work with then lets say a NOS but when it is done and tuned it is alot of fun. I purchased mine and ran the heck out of my motor and blew things apart but i knew i was going to rebuild it anyways so it was really not a big deal when it hit the fan!

But to be honest my motor would of lasted alot longer if i would not of been running a 150shot ontop of the blower....i know guys in Denver that are running blowers on there motors and already have 20K on there block and it runs fine?

So the truth is...you will have to work on getting it tuned...you will have to keep an eye on little things like Fuel pressure and such and the biggest problem you will have is buying new tires when it is running just right!I hate having to buy new tires all the time! :D

But a blower can be really :cool: and fun so if you do decide to go with a blower take your time and get everything ready to go like new spark plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor...etc!
Old 05-29-2003, 02:23 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (krivera)

So if I am hearing you guys correctly. There is no 'bolt-on' supercharger kit that I can just buy and when the big box of stuff arrives at my house, I can just bolt everything on, set my ignition timing, fuel pressure, and whatever else the instructions might say, and I'm off. Is this true - there is no such thing? Even if all I want is a stage 1 type setup?

I find this hard to believe.

Surely companies like ATI, Carrol, Vortec, etc... have enough experience supercharging these (and other) cars that they can provide their customers with a COMPLETE kit and instructions that, if installed and followed properly, would yield a good usable car immediately after the install.

So then I guess the next question has to be asked (and I'm sure it's been asked a million times) who has the 'best' supercharging kit for someone how wants to spend minimal time tuning? Remember, I'm NOT looking for something ridiculous like 750rwhp here. I want a good streetable car that just happens to have a supercharger on it.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:57 PM
krivera
Drifting

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (TheCorvetteKid)

Well I will tell you what...if you do the basics that the instruction manual asks you will be able to bolt it on and drive it all day long.... but I think where we have kind of confused you is that we are looking for the best Air/fuel ratio and power.... For example mine was adjusted and I was running 11:01 air to fuel I could of ran around town like that and sure it drove and made good power... but as I started talking to guys on here they were telling me I was running rich and need to lean it out to say 12:5:1 air to fuel or even a little later if you want to play and make some more HP...So I did and yes the guys on the forum were right and my made more power...so yeah if you follow the instruction manual you can bolt it on and drive all day long but I have come to find out they have the kits running a little rich so you don’t blow it up!

Kind of like GM and Ford and all the other Companies they down tune it for safety and reliability....

But I had to toy with mine but that is just I :)

So yes you can bolt it on and drive away per instruction manual :)
Old 05-29-2003, 05:21 PM
azzkikr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (about supercharging an L98)! (TheCorvetteKid)

HERE'S CHEAP ALTERNATIVE TO SUPERCHARGING...

I am not a mechanic, not a pro racer or super-tuner. I do have a pretty tricked out '87 L98 that I've been building for a couple of years. Way too many options and toys to list... but this was my alternative to spending thousands on a procharger... My motor was getting a little tired after 170,000 miles so when I had it rebuilt I had them replace the timing chain with a "loud" gear drive (this actually steals a couple of horsepower - I'm told) but it sounds great! sort of like a supercharger, next I added a 100 shot (wet) (adjustable from 75 to 300) of nitrous. While I had it professionally installed and tuned I settled for only 100 shot - because the motor wasn't built for a big shot, plus the car's computer can still control the timing and I didn't have to do a bunch of other modifications like cooler spark plugs, better ignition bigger fuel pump etc. Bone stock the car was supposed to do the 1/4 in 15 sec. With a slipping transmission I did it in 13.03! I just put $1,800.00 in to the tranny and actually have slower times (13.38) because now I'm spinning the wheels off the line and again in second gear (did I mention it's an automatic?) So now I need some drag radials and some solid U-joints, then maybe some 3:55 or 3:73 gears - then I'll call it quits and save up for a new paint job. I do a lot of advertising for Breathless Performance Products in Ft. Lauderdale - I've seen them do the installations - if you think you're going to get a (supercharger)package in the mail and be racing the next day forget it!

If you decide you still want to spend the big bucks for a supercharger, buy it from somebody like Breathless that can install and tune it for you! Dollar for dollar I'll go with my N20 set up which was professionally installed and "idiot-proofed" for a lot less money - and like I said before, if you want the sound, add a gear drive for a couple hundred $$$ installed. Good luck with your project and you can e-mail me at FLGRAPHIX@aol.com

Respectfully,
Greg
Old 05-29-2003, 08:10 PM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (azzkikr)

If your asking about the realities of life I enjoy my supercharged Vette. Buy a kit. Have it installed. Change the intank fuel pump. Set the timing or if appropriate get a hypertech blower program chip and do nothing else. Its when you want more power that problems occur. If interested, E mail me. You can drive down to the local shop here in Buffalo and view some of the local cars. Lt-1's usually put out about 405 rwhp. The low compression 383's about 550 to 585rwhp. Add nitrous and your about 735rwhp. Of course you'll have transmission problems. Get a bigger blower, change the fuel system, and your really up there.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (RVY)

I ran a Paxton blower on my L98 Irocz, I broke 2 pistons within 1K miles.
The motor got rebuilt with forged pistons. After that the motor didn't even sneeze when the boost came on.

The blower was worth a solid 1 full second in ET and about 10 MPH.

Vic

Old 06-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (Vic'89)

Blower cars are awsome. But it is not typical bolt on stuffs. It required attention to details and a lot of $$$$ to make it run the way you want it to run.

You can not bolt on a supercharger and expect it to run at it maximum power and want motor to last. Its won't happen. A good supercharged cars are the motor must be built for that purpose.

Bruce
93LT1 Conv w/ZF6
Blown D1-SC/N2O
ARE built 383ci/Stage II heads

Old 06-01-2003, 04:40 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Default Re: I WANT THE TRUTH (Vic'89)

I ran a Paxton blower on my L98 IROC-Z, I broke 2 pistons within 1K miles.
The motor got rebuilt with forged pistons. After that the motor didn't even sneeze when the boost came on.

The blower was worth a solid 1 full second in ET and about 10 MPH.

Vic
So here's what might sound like a dumb question: why aren't you running a supercharger on your '89 now? I've got an '89 myself so I'm interesting in hearing your reason for not going with one seeing as you've experienced the rush and the increase performance. Who knows, maybe what you have to say about it may change my mind.

Get notified of new replies

To I WANT THE TRUTH (about supercharging an L98)!

Quick Reply: I WANT THE TRUTH (about supercharging an L98)!