C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Throttle Stuck WIDE OPEN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 05:28 PM
azzkikr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Stuck WIDE OPEN!

Just wanted to share a scary story...

After having a Nitrous kit installed on my '87 coupe (with a wide open throttle switch) I was tooling around town. N20 bottle closed, arming switch off - I was about to get on the highway, so I took a last moment chance to pass a new VW beetle before 2 lanes combine into 1 lane and then it does a giant U-turn onto the highway. Normally this is a safe manuver, but as I sped up to overtake the VW, the beautiful blonde driving the VW sped up also... so I figured what the heck, I'm in a vette watcht this - so I floored it and much to my surprise after I passed her with room to spare, the gas pedal stuck to the floor! I only had acouple of seconds before the giant U-turn which is RATED AT 25MPH, (I consistantly have hit it at 50MPH - but never with the gas pedal stuck to the floor! ) I kicked the pedal and reached down to pull it up from the floor with my hand, the pedal came up, but the throttle was stuck wide-open! So for a moment I thought about throwing it into neutral - but NO way was I going to Blow my freshly rebuilt motor! Finally at the last moment I shut off the ignition - but not to the locking position so that I could still steer. I coasted to the side of the road just as the road started to curve, I jumped out and raised the hood - and NOT being a mechanic I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but sure enough I found it! Ready for this? The last idiot who worked on my car put the air coupler onto the throttlebody and the clamp (the screw part that you tighten it with) was on the wrong side! It was sticking out and the throttle cable wedged up against it! So I grabbed a screw driver and flipped it around - then went home to change my underwear! :rofl:
Old 06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Throttle Stuck WIDE OPEN! (azzkikr)

Yikes..... that could have been horrible :eek:

Good work under pressure..... Smart move.... It happened to me once I put it in 6th gear at like 45 mph..... so it didnt go anywhere.... until i was going straight again to pull over to the side
Old 06-03-2003, 08:05 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

Quick thinking. :thumbs: Most people would have panicked and the story would have had a different ending.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:29 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Throttle Stuck WIDE OPEN! (BAM92)

One reason why I prefer to do my own work.

Good save. So did the girl in the VW offer assistance ;).
Old 06-03-2003, 10:41 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

:nonod: good save man... :hurray:
Old 06-04-2003, 11:20 AM
krivera
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude that rocks! sorry to hear about the underwear!
Old 06-04-2003, 08:53 PM
honas
Racer

I had that happen in a 68 AMX I owned. It was a 4 speed and like an idiot I took it out of 1st gear. I quickly turned off the ignition but since it was a carb car and at such high rpms it kept running for about a minute! I thought it was gonna blow up so I got out and walked away. It sounded horrible and was smoking like crazy out of the exhaust untill it finally died. I thought it was toast. It started right up and ran even better than before. Go figure.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:04 PM
azzkikr
Pro

Default Re: Throttle Stuck WIDE OPEN! (Vette92)

Thanks for the response on "throtte stuck wide open"

Actually, the blonde didn't stop, she did slow down and give me that "look"

You know, the "look" that means... You idiot! why did you pass me then slam on you brakes and pull over to the side of the road for?

Respectfully,
AZZKIKR :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Stuck WIDE OPEN!

Quick Reply: Throttle Stuck WIDE OPEN!