C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:06 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug

Could they have made it any harder to remove? I finally got it out (after busting the old one off) by removing the plastic inner fender. I think I will leave the top bolt out and drill a hole there for the next time. A long 3/8" extension will fit through that upper hole allowing a perfect path to the plug. I have a lot of tools and a lot of spark plug wrenches but the only way I could really get to it was by taking that inner fender off. I'm in the process of putting in new valve stem seals on my 87. Now I am on to the valve covers - who designed this mess! I read the posts about removing the wiper motor cover in order to get the driver's side off but am struggling with getting the wiring harness out of the way. It lays right on the inner rim of the valve cover and does not move around much, even unbolted from the manifold. Any tips? I also think I have found my small oil leak as all of the center bolts were barely tightened. I long for the days of my 65 vert when I
could actually get at stuff!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:22 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug (corvetteronw)

DS valve cover is a B*&^%$# to get at ... I removed the wiper motor and just worked the harness to get the old one off..
Old 07-06-2004, 08:28 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 86 and I believe it's much the same as your 87. Hard for me to remember what mine was like before I eliminated all the parts that were in the way of removing the plugs and/or valve covers.

One does come to mine though. I recall having to use a short spark plug socket that has a hex head. I'd slide the socket onto the plug, then use a open end/box end wrench (I believe the hex called for 3/4") on the socket and break the plug loose. I'd then remove the socket and use my fingers to unscrew the plug the rest of the way.

If I tried leaving the socket on to completely remove the plug, it would eventually bind against the exhaust and I'd have to re-tighten the plug just to get the socket off.

When installing the new plug, (anti-seize on the threads) I'd screw the new one in by hand as far as I could, then install the socket and use the open end/box end to tighten the plug.

If your sockets are of the longer type, you can grind it down to allow a better fit or try to find a shorter one. I never had to use a swivel either.

I never had to remove the inner fender or wiper motor, even with the A.I.R. pipes installed.

If you think you'll be doing this again or going under the valve covers, now's a good time to eliminate as many of the obstacles as you can. That's what I did, shortened the alternator bolt that prevented the driver's side valve cover from coming off, hold downs for the injector harness, etc.

BTW I always do the hardest part of any job first; that's when I'm freshest and won't become frustrated as easily.

Sorry I couldn't help more but I know your feelings.

Jake
Old 07-06-2004, 08:37 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

Default Re: Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug (JAKE)

Thanks - good tip about doing the hardest part first. I am babysitting my 8 yr old and 10 yr old grandkids. They love riding their bikes in and out, looking at my Corvette models and posters and asking questions. I do not have the luxury of cussing or throwing things though. A well aimed wrench at my poster of Ossama Bin Laden and some cuss words really relieve the frustrations when they are not there though!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

I have to admit......... #2 stayed in the last time I changed plugs :bb That was over a year ago and I still remember it well........ I started all full of P & V; and ended up saying "screw this stuff"
Old 07-06-2004, 09:33 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

Default Re: Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug (Caboboy)

I have to admit......... #2 stayed in the last time I changed plugs :bb That was over a year ago and I still remember it well........ I started all full of P & V; and ended up saying "screw this stuff"
I will post a pic of my "fix" so you can get to it easier after I get everything back together.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:15 AM
88vettelover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jake about doing the hardest part first. Then you get to the easier part and you're like, wow I'm almost done.

As for the #2 and #4 spark plugs. I use a swivelheaded ratchet. Remove the inspection plate on the fender. Get on your knees and look thrhough the plate. You can see the plug. Bend your ratchet and work it in there and then position the ratchet so you can get some turns out of it.

I used to use the open end wrench way, but last time I changed the plugs I had a few extra minutes and started messing with ideas. Swivelheaded ratchet took me about 10 minutes less.

What once was an hour job is about 30-40 minutes now. Plus once you do it a few times, it aint so bad.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:19 AM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06
Default Re: Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug (88vettelover)

These are great..worth the cost by far.
http://www.madvet.com/-/shop?frame=1.173
Old 07-07-2004, 01:24 PM
mos90
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug (skateparkdave)

after i put on my tpis headers i can change plugs in 10 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the #@!& No2 L98 plug