C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Centrifugal supercharger air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:32 AM
gene284
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Centrifugal supercharger air filters?

I'm running a centrifugal supercharger on an L98 TPI motor. I'm interested in what you are using for inlet air filtering, rather than a filter right at the header.

Please post pictures of what you did to get cooler air to the supercharger.

I've temporarily purchased a 92 Trans Am round case air cleaner, and picking up air behind the grill ('55 Chevy). Is this filter (Fram CA3902) going to be a restriction, they used them for NA 350 TPI motors? This size works physically, because of space constraints.

Went to a lot of trouble in building the engine and large diameter exhaust, don't want to mess up just to make the engine bay look good with a too small filter.

Would like to see some creative thinking, and pictures are worth a thousand words.

Please, no shots of K&N filters sucking air off the headers.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:20 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I think there were some people that put the air pickup by the gill pannel to get some fresh air. As far as the fram goes, it probably doesn't flow as well as a K&N, but to each their own.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I've seen the battery moved to the rear of the car, and the filter put there.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:10 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Here's mine.
Welded stainless pipe and heat shield.
With the hood scoops air temp @ the filter is about 10 deg above outside temp.
I know holes in the hood aren't everyones favorite idea

Last edited by SuperL98; 10-29-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:23 PM
lead foot 85 vet
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest way to fine out if your filter is a restriction is to take it off and go for a ride...............if you get more boost....get a bigger filter
Old 11-02-2004, 06:54 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

superL98 any more pic's ????
Old 11-03-2004, 10:03 AM
ztrips
Pro

I saw a 1-2 lbs increase in boost going from the K&N on my vortech, to a foam "HKS" style filter....
Old 11-03-2004, 05:22 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

One more, but he's talking 55 chevy, so don't think I'm much help.

K&N website says that their filters fibers collapse at 15 in/h20.
Most tests I've seen on vacuum taps between filter and throttle (or turbo/super) at WOT are less that 5 in/h20 for a good "high perf" system.
Mine barely pulled 1 or 2 in/h20 worst case with what is supposed to be 1000cfm rated filter.
K&N also has a formula for estimated area on their site, if you trust it.
http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#SELECT

Old 11-04-2004, 06:26 PM
gene284
Burning Brakes

Although this is a 1955 Chevy, working on a concept for a cold air intake for the centrifugal supercharger. It could be utilized for others just running a normally aspirated TPI, LS1, or Ramjet. This is an air filter assembly from a 1992 T/A Firebird, one of the smallest I could find, but still applicable to a 350 CI motor. And this is a 1987 TPI motor, with C4 suspension, hence the post on the Corvette forum.

Is anyone running a small centrifugal supercharger (5 PSI) with a 1992 T/A air filter assembly? Any loss in pressure?

The whole idea is to pick up cooler air, unlike most aftermarket fuel injection air filters, which pick up the hot air coming off the radiator, or even worse, the headers.

This is a stainless inlet I'm working on with a domed screen mesh to eliminate debris. It is held on with a stainless bellmouth flange and a tubing connecting clamp. This will replace the plastic tube on the T/A air filter assembly.

This shows the small filter assembly in place, with the inlet angled to clear the stainless tubing that supports and stiffens the tilt front end. Upon installation, we may use a small 20 degree bend inline with the stainless inlet tube shown above, so that the inlet face is square to the front end.

Overhead view.

From the rear.

Here are some pictures of the filter assembly installed with the plastic exit tube going to the supercharger. We may use aluminum or stainless tubing when completed, just simulating position now.

On a normally aspirated engine, this could be ducted to the throttle body.

From the rear. A 180 degree U-bend would complete the intallation of the exit duct to the inlet of the supercharger (where the vanes are).

The reason I've not finalized this installation is that this is exactly the same area the ducting would run if an intercooler were installed for the supercharger. Having said that, the whole front end for the radiator location as well as it's support would have to be redesigned. They would have to be moved rearward to make room for the intercooler. Probably should leave well enough alone, and just button this up.

I really like what other people have done with the flat filters on top of the TPI plenum, with cowl induction. I too have a cowl induction hood. Two problems for me on this, but not insurmountable. 1) My front end slides out, then tilts. It would not seal well due to the sliding motion, as compared to the closing of the hood. 2) I like to see the TPI unit out in the open, not covered. The hood of the '55 compared to the Corvette and Third generation F bodies is much higher, could look like a flying saucer floating above the engine.

However, if I went with the cowl induction setup, it would allow me to add an intercooler later with no revision to the air filter intake, definitely a plus.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 PM
comp
Team Owner

Look's like it will work
Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

could always build a heat sheald round the fillter and just duct cold air from wherever you can to it. again without cutting holes it will be difficult the really lower inlet temps. i think you woul;d see good improvements from ceramic coating the manifolds (always helps under bonnet temps) and nocking up a heat sheald with some cold air ducting.

thanks Chris.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:39 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Gene, you got anymore pictures of that project there? Looks like a bad ****! What's the story?

Last edited by zelement; 11-08-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:24 PM
comp
Team Owner

Ya' more
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
comp
Team Owner

anything new ?????
Old 11-19-2004, 11:56 AM
ED89
Intermediate

I have been tinkering with the idea of cutting the into the air vent above the brake booster and fabricating an aluminum air box right to the the blower. The high pressure area between the hood and the wind shield should provide plenty of cool air.

ed89
Old 11-19-2004, 01:50 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

I am going to modify my supercharger by cutting the lip adjacent to the blower inlet which typically receives an air filter down to 1/4". Then, I will fit thereupon another 1/4" thick flange that will radially extend outward from the circumfrance of the former air filter flange and will contain 5-6 threaded apertures which will receive a like sized flange located upon a fabricated air duct. The whole idea behind this method is that it will allow my intake tract to be demounted and slid directly up or down in relation to the supercharger inlet without requiring the pulling of the tube away from the supercharger and towards the radiator to gain separation thereof. In my case I have very little room between the radiator and the supercharger inlet (especially given the addition of my radiator shroud) so this type of a design is a must. From there I will fabricate a substantially rectangular shaped (and volumetrically speaking equal or slightly larger than the 4.5" blower inlet) structure that will project downward in somewhat of a snaking fashion until it reaches substantially the bottom of the radiator, where it will become circular (or oval) in order to receive thereupon an air filter. I will also endeavor to fashion a ram air box that will wrap around the airfilter to force air into said air cleaner. This all sounds pretty non-sensical but for some reason it all works out ok in my head. I'll post pictures in the next couple of weeks.. Drawing air from anywhere inside the engine compartment is a big no-no for a high perf. engine. You are massively disadvantaging yourself from from a performance standpoint by ingesting hot air.

Last edited by TONYDEE64; 11-19-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:32 PM
gene284
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the encouragement fellows. No new photos as of yet.

Did some calculations on the Firebird Trans Am air filter canister. According to K&N filters calculator the surface area of the filter is exactly right for the 350 CI displacement. Since this is forced induction, the effective displacement is probably close to 467 CI with 5 lb boost.

Therefore, since the canister filter is below capacity, and that's all I easily have room for beside the left side of the radiator, decided to install 2.

Will attempt to put one on each side of the radiator, with a common tubular exit.

I'm attemping to find another canister, and will mock up to see if it looks OK.

I'm convinced, as are some of you, that we should try to utilize external air if possible, rather than under the hood with its elevated temperatures.

Get notified of new replies

To Centrifugal supercharger air filters?

Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 PM
comp
Team Owner

Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

you could always do what some of the WRC rally teams do. cut a nice big hole in your bonnet right above where the fitter is located. then build a ally (they normaly do it in carbon) air box around it. this way you get loads of cold air, and you still have the short intake run!

thanks Chris.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:38 PM
comp
Team Owner

post a good sized pic of the area

Quick Reply: Centrifugal supercharger air filters?