C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Door Ajar" switch problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 03:31 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default "Door Ajar" switch problem.

I just replaced the driver "door ajar" switch because it was causing my interior lights to flicker and my alarm too go off.

Now, the interior lights stay on all the time. Do I have a malfunctioning door switch or a different problem? For now, I took out the courtesy light fuse and disconnected both horns.

I bought the AC/Delco door switch from Ecklers before I read that these switches aren't very good.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Gixster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem on my '86.

In my case, the plate that the switch for the rear hatch sits on needed to be shimmed with some washers a little bit to enable the switch to engage better. Guess they wear down a little over the years too.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:07 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, there's alot of things that can keep the interior lights on. You should be able to open the door and depress both the door ajar switch and the little plastic switch on the door pillar to turn the courtesy lights off. If that doesn't work it could be the century relay (think that's what it's called) it's about 1x1x1/2 inch thick under the passenger knee panel-make sure you can cross reference it-because it's no longer available on some year vettes-but was used in other GM cars as well. Before you do that-make sure your key is in a verticle position when removed from the lock-I know 2 vette owners who had your problem just to find out it was the lock.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:09 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Fixed it! I found that the Passenger side door switch was making intermittent contact with the door jamb. I shimmed it with two little washers and everything works fine.

Also, I've read that the AC/Delco door switches break a lot but, I found if you put the replacement switch in a vise before installing it and slowly compress the tip in to match the length of the old switch, everything will work fine.

The new AC/Delco "door ajar" switch looks and works just fine.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to hear you solved your problem!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:38 PM
1chicken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GKK
Fixed it! I found that the Passenger side door switch was making intermittent contact with the door jamb. I shimmed it with two little washers and everything works fine.

Also, I've read that the AC/Delco door switches break a lot but, I found if you put the replacement switch in a vise before installing it and slowly compress the tip in to match the length of the old switch, everything will work fine.

The new AC/Delco "door ajar" switch looks and works just fine.
You don't need to shim it! they are self adjusting, the center pulls out.
They will over-self adjust over time, I always used a 1/4 inch piece of vacuum hose over the shaft, shut the door and done!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
jfederico
Intermediate

I had a similar problem with my 92 coupe and found the striker bolt area to be loose. Once I tightened that up I never had a problem since.

Get notified of new replies

To "Door Ajar" switch problem.

Quick Reply: "Door Ajar" switch problem.