C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What rusts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Bubba91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What rusts?

I have a '91 coupe and live in Florida near the beach. I saw the damage first hand as the salt air ate away my mustang; it only took 3 years.
I know the body is some kind of fiberglass, so besides that, what can I expect to rust?
I saw on "Two Guys Garage" this rust preventer called Counter Act. It changes the electrical charge of the metal. It's used on a lot of hot rods.Anybody using this?
Thanks,
any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:16 PM
1quik91
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some kind of fiberglass? Glass don't rust. We can expect to rust on the frame in FL with the salts in the air if you are beachside, but would take a while, just spray off once in a while. Again the electrical connections are the same as if you own a boat, which I do. If you are that close to the salt water, keep them clean and lubed, WD40 spray to keep the H2O off. I have the 91 garaged and have had no problems in Naples.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba91
I have a '91 coupe and live in Florida near the beach. I saw the damage first hand as the salt air ate away my mustang; it only took 3 years.
I know the body is some kind of fiberglass, so besides that, what can I expect to rust?
I saw on "Two Guys Garage" this rust preventer called Counter Act. It changes the electrical charge of the metal. It's used on a lot of hot rods.Anybody using this?
Thanks,
any info would be greatly appreciated.
Counter Act = Snake Oil???? I can't imagine how the electrical charge of metal can be changed of all things, to prevent rust. Rust is oxidation eating away on bare metal! But then, I'm not an engineer or "metalolgist" .
Old 02-07-2005, 07:04 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

after driving through 4 michigan winters complete with road salt, i have found the frame rails just ahead of the rear wheel well start to form some surface rust. this is probably due to the paint on that rail get chipped away by road debris and exposing the metal. all other external rail surfaces look to be rust-free.

i have no clue what the inside of the frame rails look like, and quite frankly i'm afraid to find out.

other, unprotected parts such as the "springs" wrapped around brake and fuel lines, and some fasteners and mounts are rusting normally. they're not falling apart now, but i suspect if i keep my driving habits i will need to replace some stuff in 3-5 years.

the good news out of all this is that i don't see any critical things going bad.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Hogan
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

I had heard the area around the hood latch rusts??? And if left outside the salt air/salt rain would collect in that area?? Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

windshield frame,pull back the rubber inside the door jamb directly across from the dash and squirt corrosion-x there and on everything else metal you can find.
use the x-auto products link on your left to obtain corrosion-x.great product.you can spray it directly onto electrical connectors also,even printed circuitboards.
lasts about 6 months in exposed areas.(i sprayed down a warn winch on the front of my shop truck for a test and it tool about that long to look dry again)
Old 02-07-2005, 11:12 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

The gas lid rusts. My 92 vert had baaaaad rust on it. Weird place to rust though, for a texas car. Somone on this forum was nice enough to "pay it forward" me a new gas lid. WOO HOO!

snoopdan
Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

The frame underneath the battery, any acid eats through the galvanizing. I noticed some on mine, and cleaned it up and hit it with some rustoleum. BTW Mine was originally from Texas, and I've only drove it in NE for 2 years. Glad I'm moving out to CA.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Bilyk
Drifting

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
Counter Act = Snake Oil???? I can't imagine how the electrical charge of metal can be changed of all things, to prevent rust. Rust is oxidation eating away on bare metal! But then, I'm not an engineer or "metalolgist" .
Rusting in an electrochemical reaction
Basically, when water gets spalshed onto any metal, a tiny fraction of rust gets disolved and donates an electron to a free oxygen, forming the rust molecule

the counter act thing supposedly charges the entire metal structure of the car, so that the metal is no longer the preferrential electron donor

not sure how well it works in real life though, but the idea is sound. similar devices are used on pipes
Old 02-08-2005, 11:36 AM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default effects of rust on C3 frame...Ouch!

What rusts you ask!! heh heh...electromechanical reaction or whatever, RUST KILLS! Here is a picture of what RUST has done to a C3 chasis. This gut acutally bought the Vette, which was drivable, and removed the body to do a frame off resto. Much to his surprise, the frame was in worse shape than he expected. Apparently, the only thing holding the frame together was the body of the car....Yikes

Last edited by MikeC4; 02-08-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilyk
Rusting in an electrochemical reaction
Basically, when water gets spalshed onto any metal, a tiny fraction of rust gets disolved and donates an electron to a free oxygen, forming the rust molecule

the counter act thing supposedly charges the entire metal structure of the car, so that the metal is no longer the preferrential electron donor

not sure how well it works in real life though, but the idea is sound. similar devices are used on pipes
Similar to devices available for boats as well.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:48 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

I'm lucky... the original owner said he had the car treated with this special rust preventative spray so the body won't rust at all. It is guaranteed not to rust or you get your $$$ back

Get notified of new replies

To What rusts?

Quick Reply: What rusts?