C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The Flat Tire Blues!! (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Balink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default The Flat Tire Blues!! (kinda long)

Can you believe it? I went out to the garage yesterday, intent on taking the vette for a spin and what do I find? My right front tire is as flat as it gets! Well, I grabbed a can of fix-a-flat and my tire pump so I could take her to the local tire shop which is about a block away, but it was no use. That tire wouldn't hold the air for more than five minutes. After a few minutes of doing a contortionist act looking for the leak, I found a monstrous screw in the inner sidewall of the tire. There was no way that tire was going to hold for the ride to the shop, short though it was. So I resigned myself to going through the hassle of putting the spare on. I got the lug wrench out from behind the drivers sids seat, and got on my knees behind the car, but the bolt that holds the spare tire carrier was seized tight. Of all the lousy luck. Well, I let loose with a string of words... But then I got a can of liquid wrench and set to work. But the bolt was frozen tight. The whole bolt assembly just turned in it's holder. So I had to take the license plate off and use a pair of vise grips to hold the the thing down while I cranked on the bolt below. Slowly, grudgingly, the friggin' thing began to turn. A half a can of liquid wrench later it was loose enough to unhook. I pulled the spare tire out... and IT WAS FLAT!!! Now I was seeing red. What are the chances? Really. I should've hung it up right there, but I was too much invested in the project to walk away at this point. I threw the spare in the trunk of the Buick and drove to the local tire place. They were too busy to help me right now, they said, but maybe monday. Well, I lost it. Finally they agreed to mount a new spare for me. I went back home, jacked up the car, and promptly sheared off a lug bolt. :o I just stared at the bolt for a minute and then I had to laugh. I laughed so hard that my family came to see what was the matter. Well, I don't know, have you ever heard of anyone having so much trouble with such a simple job? All I know is I'm keeping my membership to AAA!!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:02 PM
bdvdvh7
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and i thought only things like this only happened to me.. glad i am not alone!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Tryin hard not to laugh(really I am) but dont feel alone tried to fix my dog eared visors with a kit I followed the instruction to a tee but stll ended up busting the Pass side switch some days it just don't pay to get outta bed.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Balink
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Tryin hard not to laugh(really I am) but dont feel alone tried to fix my dog eared visors with a kit I followed the instruction to a tee but stll ended up busting the Pass side switch some days it just don't pay to get outta bed.
It's OK. You can laugh... I did! You're right some days it just doesn't pay to get up in the morning. In fact, I think I'll sleep in tomorrow!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:21 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Old 02-26-2005, 06:21 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most of us have had days like what you experienced and that's when we're thankful that we're not employed by the post office.

Get notified of new replies

To The Flat Tire Blues!! (kinda long)

Quick Reply: The Flat Tire Blues!! (kinda long)