Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Can I swap automatic to manual climate control head in '89?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 05:56 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I swap automatic to manual climate control head in '89?

My climate control on my '89 doesn't work and spouts heat through the vents. I get no digital display and the buttons do not work. I've tried cleaning the rear harness connections, and still nothing. It's getting power, because one LED light remains on all the time.

Is there a way to easily convert the auto climate control to the manual (non-digital?) The manual heater/ac control head for '89 is so much cheaper on ebay.

What are the issues/tricks?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:04 PM
corvette1989bham
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I have your old electric ac head?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:59 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvette1989bham
Can I have your old electric ac head?
Ask me after I get the heater/AC thing fixed. There's always the possibility that there's some deeper issue, and it isn't the head, so I'd like to keep it until then.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if it is like the '90 climate control, then no. There is a difference in both the dash and engine compartment wiring harness. I found this out when I bought a new(used) wiring harness for my '90. I would think it would be alot easier to bite the $$ bullet and get the elec. unit. If you watch ebay I've seen them as low as $45, or try vette-2-vette, contemporary corvette.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:09 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

I'm planning to do just that (and pull the AC totally out also) when I get my '89 (hopefully this spring). From studying the service manual. and previous experience with GM cars I think it should be fairly easy. I'm thinking a blower resistor unit from an '89 caprice or malibu will work but I wont know until I get in there on the vette. Probably will have to run some wires from the standard dash blower switch to the resistors using harness and control head stripped from an '89 carpice (I have one of those for parts). From what I've seen, the 80's GM mid and large size cars all use esentially the same manual control head-lots of parts in junkyards-cheap.

It appears the air control unit under the dash is the same and only the temp control door on the right side is motor driven. On the standard units its driven by the lower cable lever. I'm hoping the link between the door and the cable on the manual will fit the electronic version-I'm betting it will. If you can wait, drop me an e-mail and I'll keep it on file and let you know when I do it

By the way, there are 1737 C4's out there with standard controls, I've seen several of them over the last 1-1/2 years but so far only on "zero option" cars. Might find one in a salvage yard and swap for it!

Last edited by tonymax2; 02-28-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Sam: I think I had the same problem. Heat from 60 to 90..
When I put mine to 60 my buddy noticed that the AC compress was working and the lines were ice cold.

So did you check the programmer under the hush on the driver side firewall?
Also there is mixer on the passanger side if you remove the hush pannel. You can move this unit by hand. I've done it before.

My problems were with the programmer I bad a bad resistor

Get notified of new replies

To Can I swap automatic to manual climate control head in '89?

Quick Reply: Can I swap automatic to manual climate control head in '89?