C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Windsheild Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 PM
potter22
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Windsheild Leaks

Just had a new windsheild installed because mine cracked when I washed it the other day. Now I have a big leak dripping from the rear view mirror. I took off the top and looked at the rubber molding. It has a significant hole on the passengers side and is coming up right above the mirror. My question is, Do you think it is the molding or something else. It never leaked from there before. By the way, no metal or rubber molding was replaced when the windsheild was fixed. I was told you may have to replace some type of molding when the windsheild is replaced, but not always. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 PM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have to remove the window molding to replace the windshield. There is a factory specific way to reinstall the molding-sealing tape, window bedding material(window glaze compond)etc. A helm's man. will show details of correct assembly and sealing locations. Skipping one step will allow water to get under trim molding and leak thru window frame. If it is a professional glass shop, they should know this. Historically, shops don't like to do c-4 windows. They are time consuming and a pain in the A**. It is likely they did some short cuts. Good luck resolving the problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Glasman66
Drifting

Originally Posted by kize
They have to remove the window molding to replace the windshield. There is a factory specific way to reinstall the molding-sealing tape, window bedding material(window glaze compond)etc. A helm's man. will show details of correct assembly and sealing locations. Skipping one step will allow water to get under trim molding and leak thru window frame. If it is a professional glass shop, they should know this. Historically, shops don't like to do c-4 windows. They are time consuming and a pain in the A**. It is likely they did some short cuts. Good luck resolving the problem.

I install galss for a living. I own a glass shop and I'll tell you right now they do not train us on every single car that is manufactured.

Every profession shop does not know how to do a C4 per the factoy specs. I know this for a fact, because I've been mop up on jobs that other shops have F'ed up pretty good.

The C4 is an animal all it's own. Call the shop they should handle the problem if they are a good shop.

The best way to get a C4 done right is to call your favorite Chevy dealer and see who they recommend. Ask they if they have an installer who specializes in C4s. Then ask for him.

By the way these are the biggest PITA, but I'll still do them for forum members.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:23 PM
potter22
Heel & Toe

Where are you located? I just looked at your Corvette pics and I'm guessing you are not in So Cal from your license plate.

Last edited by potter22; 03-31-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Yeah!! Where are you located? I need a new windshield in my GS!!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:10 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine leaked after a new windshiedl install-but they had used an after market gasket-took it back, they put OEM gasket in-end of problem. Bottom line, if it didn't leak B4 replacement take it back and bitch.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:13 AM
midlifecrisis91
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Old 04-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Glasman66
Drifting

Originally Posted by potter22
Where are you located? I just looked at your Corvette pics and I'm guessing you are not in So Cal from your license plate.
DENVER CO!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:31 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

I've got an appointment next week, to get mine done. They are replacing (Genuine GM) the weatherstripping, which I'm VERY happy about, since mine is pretty rough (dry rotted). The guy doing the install is a C4 owner, says he's done a "lot" of them, I hope he's right - Now you have me nervous!!!

Cool thing is , insurance covers the job 100%!!

Old 04-02-2005, 10:11 AM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Where did you find the OEM weatherstripping. I'm having mine done, and the glass guy can't find it. Tells me he doesn't want to use the aftermarket stuff for the leaky reasons. We can't find the GM weather seal around here......
Old 04-02-2005, 10:26 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I had my windshield replaced 2 years ago. They put in new weatherstrip and molding. Then the insurance company said they don't cover the molding and Speedy Auto Glass tried to pass off the $600 molding bill on to me. I laughed at them and said take off the molding and put me old ones back on, and if you F...k up my weatherstrip you will be replacing that again. It was their installation info that said replace weatherstrip and molding with the glass Needless to say i still have the new molding on.
My question is was this windshield put on your insurance and if it was they should have installed new weatherstrip.
Take it back to them
Old 04-02-2005, 11:37 AM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteboy88
Where did you find the OEM weatherstripping. I'm having mine done, and the glass guy can't find it. Tells me he doesn't want to use the aftermarket stuff for the leaky reasons. We can't find the GM weather seal around here......
Good question, he told me they "ordered it from the dealer"..

Get notified of new replies

To New Windsheild Leaks

Quick Reply: New Windsheild Leaks