Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

To strip the clearcoat or not to strip the clearcoat...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:27 AM
MostWanted
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default To strip the clearcoat or not to strip the clearcoat...

Should I strip the clearcoat on my 96 sawblades and then polish with Mother's polish and polishing ball or should I leave the clearcoat on and do the same thing? The wheels are not in too bad of shape but there are some spots on the wheels where the clear has started to come off. If I do use the stripper from Home Depot...how do I apply it? I'm not really wanting have to wet sand any of the wheels and like I said, they are not in that bad of shape. How easy does the clearcoat come off after stripping it? Do I have to clearcoat them again after polishing? Can I do that myself? Thanks guys!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Strip the clearcoat off first, then polish. Doing mine as we speak
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...81&forum_id=48
Old 05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Strip with Aircraft paint stripper (TalStrip 2 works very well), then wet sand...sand...sand..., a little 3M fine cut rubbing compound and THEN use Mother's Billet polish.

If you just strip them you'll have a rough surface that will get dirty and corroded quickly. Your sawblades have fine machining marks from the manufacturing process. If you look close you can see them through the clearcoat. If you strip them I think you need to remove the machining grooves or they won't last.

I did mine a couple of years ago, very happy with the results. Very easy to keep clean.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/krichar/...torage2004.htm
Old 05-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Atok
Strip with Aircraft paint stripper (TalStrip 2 works very well), then wet sand...sand...sand..., a little 3M fine cut rubbing compound and THEN use Mother's Billet polish.

If you just strip them you'll have a rough surface that will get dirty and corroded quickly. Your sawblades have fine machining marks from the manufacturing process. If you look close you can see them through the clearcoat. If you strip them I think you need to remove the machining grooves or they won't last.

I did mine a couple of years ago, very happy with the results. Very easy to keep clean.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/krichar/...torage2004.htm
those wheels look great!!!

Get notified of new replies

To To strip the clearcoat or not to strip the clearcoat...

Quick Reply: To strip the clearcoat or not to strip the clearcoat...