C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wiper Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:49 PM
beefC4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wiper Switch

91 Convertible; The wiper switch on my turn signal is loose and does not engage the wiper motor. Do I need to replace the whole part?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 AM
beefC4
Advanced

Default Everything else works

The cruise works, turn signal works... the wiper tab just flips around as if not connected to anything,which I am sure is the case. Does the arm just come apart?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Vette73
LS/MFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

The actual wiper switch -- called the "Switch, pulse (and pivot)" -- by GM, is at the end of the "multifunction switch" (your turn signal lever). It sounds like you will need a new multifunction switch, but to find out, you'll need to pull it out: First, disconnect the multifunction switch by removing the column cover just below your tilt lever. It just snaps on. You'll see the small four-wire plug for the multifunction switch -- unplug the switch. Now grasp the multifunction switch firmly and pull straight out. It is held in place by a detent. At this point you'll be able to see if the tab on the bottom of the multifunction switch (which goes into the wiper switch) is present. If not, you just need to replace the multifunction switch. If it's there, then you'll need to investigate the wiper switch. You can operate it by using a small screwdriver at this point -- it's pretty intuitive. If you need to replace the wiper switch, I'll post the GM part number here when I get home.

One word about replacement multifunction switches: the lettering on my '90 is yellow -- I think yours is too? Replacments are only available with the later white lettering, unless you can find NOS.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
beefC4
Advanced

Default Part Number

The part number would be great. Yes the lettering is yellow.

I havent taken it apart yet, everything else works fine. The Cruise, the signals etc. Is there some kind of spring inside? The little tab flips around with no resistance.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Vette73
LS/MFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

The part number for the wiper switch itself (not the multi-function switch) is 26015119. $120.38 from Superior Chevy: 800.728.8267, ask for Chris May. He provides great service to many CorvetteForum members. But...don't buy the part until you're sure you need it. Pull the multi-function switch (it's really pretty easy) and take a look at it. The "business end" should have a metal pin coming out with a slotted tab thru it: this drives the wiper switch; and there should be two plastic tabs in the outer ring, which drive the washer switch. If the multi-function switch looks good, then you need the wiper switch. There's a good tech on the wiper switch repair in the archives, but this is a job which REALLY needs a GM service manual. One note of caution: don't try this repair if you're not confident that you can complete it. It took me 6 hours start to finish. My older brother (manages a chain of body shops) estimated two hours.

To your question: no, there is no sping in the multi-function switch, the spring is in the wiper switch.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:43 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm this is interesting b/c my wipers and sprayer just quit working and the fuse is fine...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
beefC4
Advanced

Default Gonna love this

I pulled the Multi-Switch out, I see the ring with three grooves in it. I put in a screw driver and viola, the water spays and wipers work. I look at the business end of the Muilti Switch, and NOW I see the little tabs that should line up with the ring. Push it in correctly and my wipers work again.

I needed to replace the wiper switch the whole thing was broken bad, my multi switch just flopped around. After a few too many hours as you mention, I went and had a professional finish the job. Only he installed the multi switch wrong. Simple mistake, I take it back and tell them whats going on, they want to sell me a new multi switch and a couple hours time. So Vette Forum to the rescue.

When I pulled the multi switch out the first time, the wiper switch was so destroyed I never noticed the little three prong ring the tip fit into.

Now the kicker, it rained like crazy last night for the first time in months!!! What timing!!

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Switch

Quick Reply: Wiper Switch