Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'88-96 headlight repair - bushings - how about the nylon gear?

Old 08-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default '88-96 headlight repair - bushings - how about the nylon gear?

I've got the classic "lazy" headlight on driver's side, so now I'm about to repair both. I'll need to order a set of bushings, Ecklers' #29304.

How likely is it that the plastic gear would need replaced as well? Also........is it worth purchasing the bronze gear upgrade, or is it a waste of money?

Hopefully its only the bushings that need replaced........Just wanted to get an idea if I should also order the gears at the same time, and whether the stock plastic replacement is fine, or if the bronze gear is definitely the way to go, for $50 more.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:06 AM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you take it off, you will see the large delrin, (nylon), gear, and it should look like new. I think the brass gear is overkill.
Have a vac handy to clean out the old disintegrated gears.

As far as ordering bushings, they work well, but you can go to an Ace hardware or others, and find bushings, metal or nylon. All they are going to do is keep the gear true 360 at all times.
You may have to take about 3/32" off of the height of them, but it will work just as well. Finding the same diameter should be no problem.
You will need 6 pieces, get a couple extra for any you drop and cannot find.

Get some nylon gear grease. NAPA has an excellent product called Silica-Glide, part number: 765-1351. I am surre there are others that are the same.
When taking the motor out, you will see about 3-4 flat washer bushing at the bottom of the motor. Don't forget to put them back in, get some nylon gear grease in there also.
Easy fix, and the bushings you get from a Corvette supplier will have the instructions enclosed.
You can also get instructions from Corvette Fever online. Just search their tech section.
Boatman

Last edited by boatman; 08-14-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Brad, the nylon gears are a built in weak point. If something binds, they will strip. Think of them as sacrificial parts. I would put the nylon back if it were my car.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks guys, i will follow your advice. lots of good advice there!

i'm certain that the old "gel" bushings have turned to powder, and thats whats causing the problem, so new delrin bushings will be an upgrade in itself. i have the corvette fever instructions.

it appears to me that i wont need to order a new large white nylon gear (and so bronze is out of the question). hopefully i'm correct!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
sickspeedvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it was my redneck riggin' solution, but I found that 1/4" (7/16 size socket) nuts fit right in where the bushings would go. Gotta love the free fixes. I guess I should put the right bushings in, but shortly after that the engine went so that's first priority right now.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I fixed mine using bushings from Home Depot two years ago and they've worked fine ever since. I love cheap Vette fixes, too.

Get notified of new replies

To '88-96 headlight repair - bushings - how about the nylon gear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '88-96 headlight repair - bushings - how about the nylon gear?