C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Carfax isn't much good in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 12:08 PM
MacVette86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Carfax isn't much good in Canada

I bought my 86 Vette last year from a local dealer who had run a Carfax that showed it to have no issues and offered the buy back guarantee. Not being the trusting type, I ran my own Carfax as well. Same result, so good they offered the buyback guarantee.
Long story short, I tried to trade the Vette in on a 2002 Z06 yesterday and the dealer pulled the vehicle history from ICBC the provincial insurance company. The car has had THREE major accidents over it's lifetime.
I couldn't believe it. Carfax missed all three accidents and one was for $10,000 in 1991 which would be approx 25% of the car's value!Anyway, I did register the buy back guarantee, but if you read the fine print, Carfax will only give you a max of 10% over the blue book value. It's not even worth pursuing.
Anyway, this is just a heads up for anyone using Carfax. The data is probably more reliable in the US, but it's definitely not in Canada.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, Carfax sucks up here. Another good source of information is your local GM dealer. I went in and they listed off all maintenance GM did to my car. They would not give me a printed copy but I could write down all I wanted. Some sort of legal reason.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Bilyk
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats odd... I ran a carfax on mine and it came up with the exact same info as the used vehicle package

Get notified of new replies

To Carfax isn't much good in Canada

Quick Reply: Carfax isn't much good in Canada