Windshield Trim water leak...

Old 12-18-2005, 04:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Default Windshield Trim water leak...

Greetings,
Here is another rather complex issue,
I want to know details about the windshield trim and weather strip that runs from top to bottom of the windshield pillar,
The water goes between the trim and windshield and I am thinking around or down that weather-strip that runs down the pillar
The water drips off the dog ear corner of the dash and hits the still and runs into the floor,
What I do know is this is NOT a leak from the windshield gasket but rather someway the water is getting around the pillar gasket, the windshield is sealed in good.
I plan to pull off the pillar trim piece and see if that gives a better look at things, I assume that pillar weatherstrip is glued to the pillar, maybe the crappy glass shop didnt seal the weatherstrip in good,
I don't believe there is suppose to be sealer between the glass and that trim piece as I have never seen it on a c4 that was done correctly.
So you guys who have been there done that please tell me how to go about fixing this annoying leak,
Many thanks,
Old 12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the factory manual set, you should get one. Section 10 in the first manual has a very nice set of proceedures for finding leaks and wind noises. It is hard for me to follow you description, but sort of sounds like you have a maladjusted door window. The windows have several axis of adjustment.

Do you have wind noise on that side of the car? One easy proceedure is to tape over pressure relief valves in door lock pillars, close windows and doors with the fan turned on. This will build up interior pressure, then you should be able to find a leak using soapy water.

Last edited by scranage; 12-18-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is probably a bad seal on the weatherstrip retainer. The retainer is affixed to the windshield frame with screws, thumb grade sealant and sealant tape (double-back sticky tape very thin stuff).

You mentioned a glass shop replacing the windshield. More than likely they did not seal the weatherstrip retainer well.

You can approach it in one of two ways. Seal the reveal moulding with a clear silicone, or remove the weatherstrip, weatherstrip retainer, clean and re-seal the retainer then re-install the weatherstrip. Note, I've never been able to remove installed weatherstrip without damaging it, so in the latter I'd probably plan on installing new weatherstrip.

Thumb grade sealant and the tape can be had at most automotive paint suppliers (FinishMasters is a well known chain). Thumb grade sealant is also known as 3M Automotive Bedding and Glazing Compound.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

JetJocky
You hit the nail on the head what I am talking 'bout,
That water sneaks around that retainer I just didnt know what to call it,

I assume one has to carefully remove that trim from the windshield then carefully pull back the weatherstrip to expose the retainer,

I think I have the manual you spoke of I will try to find it,
In the mean time any secret tricks you recall to make this go easier?

I assume you meant carefully run some clear sealer along the tirm and glass to keep water out but would this be a good fix or jerry rigging?

Cheers,
P.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep I think we are on the same page. During the replacement of the windshield they would have to remove the reveal moulding, then the weatherstrip, followed by the retainer. A couple of cans of 3M Adhesive Remover and a bunch of wrags will be needed to remove all the adhesive and thumb sealant. You will want it perfectly clean before re-installing the components.

I'm not sure who installed the weatherstrip but it is normally glued to the retainer and on each open end of the retainer and the corners is where the thumb grade sealant is applied. That glue sets fairly quickly so it is supposedly possible to use 3M Adhesive Releaser to remove the weatherstrip. How successful you'll be removing it without damaging it is doubtful.

So if you want to do a temp fix, you could seal the reveal moulding to the windshield with clear silicone. If you wanted to go one step deeper you could remove the reveal moulding and attempt to apply silicone along the edge of the retainer in hopes that would seal it back up. My guess is you don't want to damage that new weatherstrip, so I'd try running a bead of silicone to the reveal moulding and see what the results are. (On my 93, both sides of the reveal moulding have silicone sealant in that fashion, I didn't apply it must have been someone before me, but in any event it doesn't leak.)

If you still have leaks after that then I'd buy the necessary materials including new weatherstrip and go through the entire process.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I'm thinking I would like to try to get the trim off and try it that way first,
Is there a special tool to pull that molding as it looks pretty fragile,
Many thanks,
Cheers,
P.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Whether your remove the upper or side reveal moulding it says to remove the weatherstrip first then the screws holding the reveal moulding. So don't just pry up, if you don't want to remove the weatherstrip see if you can pull back on it to expose the screws. On the side the first one begins about half inch from the top corner.

Did you say you have the service manuals, if so look at section 10-2.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:18 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

I looked at the manual and it appears the outer trim and the weatherstrip retainer fit together,
Can the outer trim even be pulled while the weatherstrip and its retainer stay in place?
Now I know the crappy glass shop didnt seal that weatherstrip retainer back down when they did the job,
Well my insurence people said take it to a good shop and the first shop has to rebait the costs of fixing it right,
happy holidays,
Cheers,
P.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Look at the section for stationary window, Windshled Side Reveal Moulding and the illustration for it.

The reveal moulding goes down first, then the weathstrip retainer, then the weatherstrip into the retainer.

I may have explained it a little confusing earlier.

I'd say they or someone should do the procedure correctly or do it youself and get reimbursed for the costs.

Besides 3M cleaner and adhesive; you'll or they'll want sealant tape, and bedding/glazing compound and a new GM weatherstrip. I can get you the 3M part numbers for those items if you wish. I would insist a new GM weatherstrip is installed and that the service manual procedure defined by Chevrolet is followed.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Trim water leak...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Trim water leak...