C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 Maf Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 PM
roy Arrington
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Maf Problems

OK, the service engine soon light led me to change the Bosch MAF sensor and the power and burn down relays. the new MAF was not Bosch but comes with a lifetime warranty. So after about a month it starts bucking every so often at highway speeds. runs smooth and thump a momentary problem that may or may not illuminate the light. so I changed the "new" MAF and got the same result. I just picked up replacement relays because the documentation recommends doing that if the sensor doesn't fix it.

Has anyone run into this recurring problem. I have the Bosch in the bottom of the tool box and may revert to putting it back in because I got good gas mileage...and just a nagging light. The new ones have taken 10 mpg off the average.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:27 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

What brand was the new one?

Check the pins in the end of the connector, make sure they arent corroded or out of shape. Apparentyl if they are it can cause all type of gremlins.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:29 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Don't remember where I read this, but I believe the test for a bad MAF is rapping (smacking) it with the handle of a screwdriver. If the car idle changes, it has a loose connection and is bad.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 AM
5speedC4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

Don't remember where I read this, but I believe the test for a bad MAF is rapping (smacking) it with the handle of a screwdriver. If the car idle changes, it has a loose connection and is bad.
I have to remember that one. Just remember not to use a hammer!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Roy: How does the engine idle on the 89? Smooth or rough?
SAM
Old 03-21-2006, 10:09 PM
GlennS87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Wells thin film MAF I tried a couple of years ago. The chip in my car is a modified ARAP (6E which is an 89 chip). I would periodically get the same symptons you mentioned. When I ran my scanner, I believe it was setting the code for MAF voltage high (either 33 or 34). I swapped back to my gutted Bosch and the problems went away.

I gave the sensor to a fellow forum member who did me a favor. He said it worked fine in his unmodded 85. I believe they use a different type of MAF but I don't know the sensor.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:39 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've posted this before, but if you read your Helms, there is a section that talks about the voltage to the MAF being controlled through the
Fuel pump relay-might be worth checking.While your at it check the wires going into the relay-the insulation on mine was shrunk and bare wires were touching each other-common problem on earlier C4s.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:08 AM
roy Arrington
Advanced

Default MAF problems

Great stuff. My Bosch was bad BUT did not seem to cause problems except for the service enging soon light. I will check out the fuel relay and the wires.

The car idles good and runs good with the exception of the recurring "bump or chug" and 16 MGP.

I'll run all these suggestions and see what happens. if it is still a problem I will check out the old Bosch with the new relays

thanks for the info
Old 03-23-2006, 09:59 PM
roy Arrington
Advanced

Default latest news

OK, check this out. A new non-bosch MAF,2 new relays and the same problem. Changed the fuel pump relay (thanks for the info gang) still had the problem.

OK WHAT NOW! Well, what did I have to lose? I put the bosch back in and with the new relays the problem went away. I went for 30 mile cruse tonight and no chugging and no service engine soon light....gas mileage went back to the mid 20s.

this is a great place to get info for our cars

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Maf Problems

Quick Reply: 1989 Maf Problems