C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Reverse lockout very stiff on 92 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 05:18 PM
paz
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reverse lockout very stiff on 92 6-speed

It is very difficult to pull up on the reverse lockout ring when shifting into reverse in my 92 6-speed. Is there some way to loosen the reverse lock out ring?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
swifty
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard it is stiff on ALL stock units after a while. I haven't taken it apart for a look yet, but far and away the most common "fix" I've heard for this is to replace the stock shifter with a B&M or Hurst. Works perfectly every time.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
paz
Racer

Originally Posted by swifty
I've heard it is stiff on ALL stock units after a while. I haven't taken it apart for a look yet, but far and away the most common "fix" I've heard for this is to replace the stock shifter with a B&M or Hurst. Works perfectly every time.
Wouldn't the mechanism still be stiff with the new shifter?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:21 AM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paz
It is very difficult to pull up on the reverse lockout ring when shifting into reverse in my 92 6-speed. Is there some way to loosen the reverse lock out ring?
Is the problem with the ring being stiff, or not 'unlocking' the shifter so that it can move into the reverse channel?

If it is the ring being stiff, the recommended lube for the shifter is grease and oil (engine).

The ring grips a metal bar via an allen-key-set-screw through the plastic ring. The metal bar slides within a machined channel in the shifter arm.

You should be able to drip a few drops of oil (engine) or 3-in-1 into the channel which should loosen-up the metal bar.

However, if by contrast the problem is just 'unlocking' the shifter, then it might just be the allen-key-set-screw that has loosened-up. So, find a really small allen wrench and loosen, push plastic-lifter-ring down, and then re-tighten the allen-key-set-screw.

One last thought. If the tranny has been ever been out of the car, it's possible that the shifter lower boot was removed and not replaced by one of those 'good' mechanics (not a good thing as it will get road dirt into the shifter!). If so, you might be able to see the shifter mechanism from below and possibly also squirt some oil on/into the shifter to loosen up things.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:11 AM
paz
Racer

Originally Posted by theadmiral94
Is the problem with the ring being stiff, or not 'unlocking' the shifter so that it can move into the reverse channel?
One last thought. If the tranny has been ever been out of the car...
Once I squeeze the ring up, it shifts smoothly into reverse.
I don't know if the transmission has ever been removed. I bought the car with 60K already on it. Any tell-tale signs to look for?
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

The aftermarket shifter, B&M and Hurst, do away with the reverse lock out. For that alone the aftermarket shifters are great.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 PM
paz
Racer

Originally Posted by EvanD
The aftermarket shifter, B&M and Hurst, do away with the reverse lock out. For that alone the aftermarket shifters are great.
Other than common sense, which we all lack from time to time, what keeps me from shifting into reverse at cruising speeds?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:42 PM
ZAWA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The force is much greater to get into reverse.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse lockout very stiff on 92 6-speed

Quick Reply: Reverse lockout very stiff on 92 6-speed