MR WRONG just got wronged...Bigtime

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:12 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default MR WRONG just got wronged...Bigtime

I just got back from watching the wrecker drive off with the Vette on the back. I was taking a left on a left turn arrow and the next thing I know there's a white blur to my right, big impact and the sun is shining in. The guy who hit me was apparently looking down at his map long enough to miss the fact that his light had turned red. T-boned me right on the passenger side wheel, gill panel and door. Targa top went flying and I must have hit the side of my head on the rear view mirror because it hurts like hell. Speed limit was 45mph but I don't think he had slowed much prior to the impact. I'm going over to the wrecking yard to get a few things out of it and take some pics which I'll post once I'm back but I'm pretty sure it's totaled. Completely his fault, plenty of witnesses hung around to tell the cops that and he just wouldn't shut up with the apologies. I'm more sad than pissed, damn I really loved that car. Now I'm sitting here punishing myself with the "if I'd just left five minutes earlier", "if I'd just left five minutes later", "if I'd just taken that way home instead of this way", blah, blah, blah. The cop told me the guy's insurance was not the best (Oh joy) and the wrangling on that I guess begins tomorrow. Funny, I was debating whether to mod mine or leave it stock and pick up a project LT1 to play with. I guess I've got one now....
Old 04-09-2006, 01:16 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

But your ok right?
Old 04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are OK and thats the main thing.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're ok. Hope you get decent money for your car.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:56 PM
BigTexas
Burning Brakes

Man, this sucks. What year was your vette? Is it a complete total? I am guessing it is...sounds bad. I hope your head gets better. Good luck.

B.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Get an attorney. The insurance company will probably give you the runaround and it will be a waste ot time trying to negotiate a settlement with them. Their idea of fair market value will be different from reality. The only power you have over them is if you were injured in some way; they will want a signed release covering that. Forget the insurance company and sue the other driver for full replacement value.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

.. A gearheads worst nightmare, sorry to hear about that! At least you sound like youre Ok, and as Greag said dont let the ins jerk you around. Best of luck, keep us posted.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:29 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Glad to here you are OK. If you had left 5 minutes later you could have been hit by a cement truck and be flatter than my wallett.
I am currently shopping for a new Corvette and finding it quite interesting.
Our own GS Diva is now a saleslady for Corvette Mike somewhere in New England (Mass ?). Maybe she can fix you up with a good one.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

im sorry to hear that , glad your ok. i cried when mine got wrecked.. but its fixed now.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:09 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Well, for some legal/post 9-11 (how the f does that work?!) security reason, I'm not allowed to bring a camera into the yard to take pictures of my own car (although the insurance adjuster can). However, if I come back tomorrow they'll be happy to tow it out in front of the yard and I can snap away (just no drivers available today to pull it out there). So I snuck a couple through the fence. Can't really see much but while looking for the garage door opener (nowhere to be found, probably back at the intersection in a million pieces by now) and thinking well, maybe this thing CAN be fixed, I noticed that the passenger side floor was buckled. That can't be good. The windshield is cracked, the hood, passenger side door skin and fender are busted up pretty good, the targa is scratched to hell from sliding across the pavement after it got knocked off (although it's still in one piece), everything behind the gill panel is in little pieces, the front rim is wrecked as well as pushed in (I'll trade you the floppy visor fix instructions for the floppy wheel fix instructions) and what I guess would be considered the firewall underneath the coolant fill tank is crushed. The passenger side seat looks out of whack with the center console although it it isn't loose (structural damage?). There's glass from the passenger side door everywhere inside, Those mounting plates for the targa top were ripped off the windshield frame. The center defrost vent in the dash has half popped up (more structural damage?). I'll get some more pics tomorrow but in the meantime, anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether this thing will ever be roadworthy again? TIA...

Old 04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad you're alright.

Let your insurance company work for you. When my "89" Vette was hit from behind, I called my insurance company (21st Century) and made a claim with them. 21st said they would look at the police report and get back to me. A few weeks later, 21st called me and offered me a settlement of $10,300 (I paid $7500 a year before but, spent at least $2000 in maintenance). They said the insurance estimator noted that my Vette was in very clean condition inside and out.

21st Century sent me a check for $9,300 minus the $1000 deductable and the other guy's insurance (Allied) sent me a check for the $1000.

I bought a very nice "91" Vette!

I'm sorry to say but, your Vette is totaled, my "89" Vettes damage looked minor but, was still totaled. The insurance company said they will repair up to 75% of the vehicles value. Example: If your Vette is worth say, $14,000 x 75% = $10,500 in repair cost. From what I read of your damage, I estimate about $11,000 +. Also, the insurance companys use dealer prices to determine replacement cost for parts which significantly increases the repair estimate.

Last edited by GKK; 04-09-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

oh, man... that sucks...

I am glad you are ok, tho.... if you have a headache, get it checked. If only for the peace of mind to know all is ok.

Bad insurance is better than no insurance... But agree, get an attorney. Depending on mileage and condition, your 96 is worth about $13k~$14k.

On other thing, this isn't for you, but for others... a forum member got into a wreck out here in LA recently. The guy presented insurance info, but the card was a fake, or the coverage had lapsed. If it is at all possible, call their insurance company and confirm coverage before they leave the scene. It is something I intend to do if someone ever hits me.

I assume he got a ticket?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

tobijohn - it's a $15k repair... even there is no frame damage.

Call it a day and start looking for a new one. At least you are safe and sound to do such a search.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:44 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bogus
...Depending on mileage and condition, your 96 is worth about $13k~$14k.

On other thing, this isn't for you, but for others... a forum member got into a wreck out here in LA recently. The guy presented insurance info, but the card was a fake, or the coverage had lapsed. If it is at all possible, call their insurance company and confirm coverage before they leave the scene. It is something I intend to do if someone ever hits me.

I assume he got a ticket?
Thanks for all the replies and well wishes. Car just turned 79K and I would say was probably an 8/10. Cops were there in what seemed like about thirty seconds and confirmed all drivers license, registration and insurance info. As for a ticket, the guy didn't get one. The cop said in these situations, he usually doesn't write them unless someone is hurt. However, in Florida, the accident form notes culpability and the insurance companies are well aware of it and use that to assess blame. The report notes that I was obeying my traffic signal and the other driver failed to observe his.

Whether it's this one or another, I'll be back in a 96 as soon as I can. I've tried but I'm just not a Plymouth Neon kind of guy...

Last edited by tobijohn; 04-09-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

What yard has it? Maybe I know the guy and can pull some strings.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:18 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Justardnck
What yard has it? Maybe I know the guy and can pull some strings.
It's Lake Park Towing in Lake Park. Thanks for the offer but I'll just head over tomorrow. It's actually only about five minutes away...
Old 04-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tobijohn
It's Lake Park Towing in Lake Park. Thanks for the offer but I'll just head over tomorrow. It's actually only about five minutes away...
He's one of the companies I don't know anyway. I was hoping for Kings wrecker cause he's a customer and friend of mine.

I'm sorry to hear about it. Is it something that you and I can fix even if it's totaled?

Get notified of new replies

To MR WRONG just got wronged...Bigtime

Old 04-09-2006, 04:26 PM
drvn2fast
Melting Slicks

Old 04-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Hogan
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

A car can be replaced!!! Glad your ok!!!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a very similar, though not quite as bad accident happen a couple of years ago...and like you the other person had crap insurance, I had State Farm at the time. All I did was pay my deductable, and let State Farm go after the other persons insurance...it didn't take long at all for them to get my settlement, plus my deductable back. You pay for your insurance for a reason, let them do the work!

Glad to hear you're okay, think of it this way, you'll probably get the chance to get a better Vette now...start putting your wish-list together!

Quick Reply: MR WRONG just got wronged...Bigtime