C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hardwire Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:25 PM
btdpi01
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwire Power

Let me first start off by stating I'm a pure neophyte when it comes to something like this, so I could use as a detailed explaination, as possible, so... I have a 95 C4, and currently have a plug 'n' play satellite radio installed in it. The problem is, I HATE the cord being visible from the radio to the cig lighter (currently I have the radio situated in the center console , which I like). I was hoping, one of you kind folks, would be able to give me a "tutorial" on how to accomplish hardwiring the power, so no wire/ plug is visible (again, I'm not very knowledgable on this). If possible, I would like the sat radio to turn off when I turn the car off.

Thanks,
BTD
Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That would be soo easy. There is a factory installed auxillary wire right under the console. Both hot and ground wires are there. Remove console door/lid--there are 4 9/32" screws. Loosen the console center section--two 9/32" screws at rear of console (lift the little piece of carpet and they are right there) and one torque head screw dwon in middle of front cup holder. Right under the rear of the center console you will find the auxillary circuit wires, labelled and not connected to anything. I believe they are on a 15a circuit, so should be just right for your needs, but not sure if they are ignition controlled or constant hot.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
btdpi01
Cruising

I appreciate the prompt reply, but like I said before I am not very knowledgable in this area. Once I gain access to these aux circuit wires, what is the proceedure to connect to the radio (i.e.: currently I have it plugged into the lighter). Again, I apoligze for the ignorance, but I am trying to learn here.

Thanks,
BTD
Old 04-12-2006, 08:15 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by btdpi01
I appreciate the prompt reply, but like I said before I am not very knowledgable in this area. Once I gain access to these aux circuit wires, what is the proceedure to connect to the radio (i.e.: currently I have it plugged into the lighter). Again, I apoligze for the ignorance, but I am trying to learn here.

Thanks,
BTD
No problem. The wires should be marked positive + and negative -.
The positive wire being the hot wire is the same as the radio hot wire that goes to the center of the cig wire plug. As I am not sure if this is a constant hot wire pull the fuse before working with it. Fuse panel is
easy as open pass door and the panel cover is right there, look for the fuse for aux. Now the other wire (-) is a ground wire and would be hooking to the radio wire that goes to the outer little spring clip on the radio cig lighter plug. Be sure your splices are good and tight, simple crimp style 14 gauge butt connectors are best bet, then tape them as an extra precaution. No need to shrink wrap them as they are interior and not exposed to weather.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:51 PM
btdpi01
Cruising

Great! Thanks again. Now, do I just splice the + to the + and the - to the -, and everything should be good. Or, do I need to have an inline fuse between the + connections.
I know this may be elementary to others, but I don't know a lot about the electrical systems of cars, and definitely don't want to damage my beloved vette!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:09 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by btdpi01
Great! Thanks again. Now, do I just splice the + to the + and the - to the -, and everything should be good. Or, do I need to have an inline fuse between the + connections.
I know this may be elementary to others, but I don't know a lot about the electrical systems of cars, and definitely don't want to damage my beloved vette!
Just splice as you said, The circuit is already protected by the previously mentioned fuse. You should be fine now.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardwire Power

Quick Reply: Hardwire Power