You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!
On mine, it was the pink/white wire that ran over to the driver's side door. Finally found the culprit by tearing out the dash, and tracing the wire....turned out to be a spot where the wire insulation was rubbed off, causing a short.....it turned out to be right behind the info center, just above the radio, but you couldn't see the wires until you took the entire dash out....Good Luck!!!!
Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
This is the circuit that most people tap into for aftermarket stereos and alarms. That'd be my first place to check.
Replacing the fuse will not fix it. And don't under any circumstances put a bigger fuse in.
Does it blow instantly? If it doesn't it'll be easier to diagnose.. unhook the battery ground and put a ampmeter between the cable and the battery post. Then start unplugging **** in the car until the amps drop down.
Last edited by CentralCoaster; 04-20-2006 at 02:40 AM.
When I attempt to replace the 15 amp fuse, it sparks out and blows.
If I disconnect the negative battery cable, insert the new fuse and re-connect the negative battery cable it is ok for a little while.
One time I closed the hood and the fuse blew.
Another time i drove down the street and the fuse blew.
Hood lights are also behind this fuse. So, maybe one of the hood light cables are broken, and closing hood makes short circuit. Check two wires coming from both of the lights to front of car, there are connectors near headlights.
I bet you will find that someone tied in a hot wire to that fuse panel (look for a strand of wire stripped on the end that is shoved into the fuse box front or back), or that some one tapped the cigarette lighter hot lead for power to the stereo and it is shorting out (is it an aftermarket stereo? If so, pull it out and check the power inputs for bad connections, and wiring for fraying).