C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

bose speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:15 PM
ART RAHN
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bose speakers

i have searched prev notes on bose speakers but did not get the answer i was looking for. lots of noise etc from speakers. thought blowen speaker. seems not the problem. can i replace all speakers with diff brand?? not useing amps in bose system. would i have to do anything with head? or just rewire new speakers and go? have looked at many sugestions from other members without any luck. anyone else has sugestion on fix of existing system would like to know. dont want big expence. retired old guy with little money. thanks art
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a LOUD squealing noise through my rears as well but i ask this question too. I was told yopu cannot just replace the speakers with what ever speakers you want unless you replace the entire system. Anyone know if I am right here?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Your amp is most likely causing the noise from the speakers. Is it a hissing noise? You can send in the amps and HU to get repaired. To my understanding you simply cannot replace the speakers and use the Bose HU though. The speakers are a certain ohm setting or somthing along those lines. If you replace the speakers your best to replace the HU aswell.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Gang, read this: C4 Audio FAQ!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:23 PM
prcollin
Racer

I used to work on systems all the time and while I have not replaced a vette system before I have never had any problem replacing old speakers and just splicing the old lead wires to the new speakers and running off the same system. Their also may be a grouding that is off somewhere or rusty or just may have some gunk on it, that has also happened to me before but if the system is all stock most likely you will not have a grouding problem.

I am not saying you should splice the wires to gether as I have said, but it has worked many times before for me. I will see what I can find from my buddies for ya tomorrow when I see em if you still need help.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 PM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

no you can not just change to other speakers. There is a lot of info over in the audio section on this. The main thing is that the Bose head unit in your car has no amp and will not drive other speakers. Also the signal it puts out has a very low ohm reading. Go over to the audio section.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by prcollin
I used to work on systems all the time and while I have not replaced a vette system before I have never had any problem replacing old speakers and just splicing the old lead wires to the new speakers and running off the same system. Their also may be a grouding that is off somewhere or rusty or just may have some gunk on it, that has also happened to me before but if the system is all stock most likely you will not have a grouding problem.

I am not saying you should splice the wires to gether as I have said, but it has worked many times before for me. I will see what I can find from my buddies for ya tomorrow when I see em if you still need help.
You cannot do this with the Bose speakers. The speaker box contains the amplifier for each individual speaker. The head unit isn't compatable with normal audio speakers. Replace/repair the Bose speakers with like-kind, or replace the whole system.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:57 PM
mrmoore
Instructor

Should you decide to pull the speakers/amps yourself, don't get worried. It's very easy if you have instructions to do so. I just pulled my CDM box and all 4 speakers/amps and sent them out for repair. Everything is running fine now. The CDM was a little tough to get to but I pulled it off. Take your time, don't get frustrated and work on the dash when it's warm (plastic gets brittle when it's cold). While I'm not too crazy about the sound quality, it does keep the car stock, which is what I was after. However, a subwoofer and super tweeters may be in the cards next. Too much midrange! It's a crappy system. I can't believe Bose put their name on something so mediocre (at best).
Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
prcollin
Racer

Originally Posted by touringmike
You cannot do this with the Bose speakers. The speaker box contains the amplifier for each individual speaker. The head unit isn't compatable with normal audio speakers. Replace/repair the Bose speakers with like-kind, or replace the whole system.

Ahh see I told you I have never done it with old bose systems before. good to know
Old 04-26-2006, 01:24 PM
thebeerman
Burning Brakes

My understanding and experiences have been that if you want to replace you have to everything from the ground up. Each speaker on the Bose system had its own builtin amplifier, and the ratings (ohms) could be different than most off the shelf speakers, and the head unit was designed to work within their own system. Anything else other than a total swap out could result in feedback and static situations.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

For those who want to want to work on their own Bose amplifires and save some bucks, check my post for the information. There is a few links and some detailed background to.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=bose

Hope this helps
Old 04-27-2006, 09:09 PM
robertt43
Racer

Originally Posted by ART RAHN
i have searched prev notes on bose speakers but did not get the answer i was looking for. lots of noise etc from speakers. thought blowen speaker. seems not the problem. can i replace all speakers with diff brand?? not useing amps in bose system. would i have to do anything with head? or just rewire new speakers and go? have looked at many sugestions from other members without any luck. anyone else has sugestion on fix of existing system would like to know. dont want big expence. retired old guy with little money. thanks art
The amps are in the speakers because they would not fit under the slanted dash. So a friend of mine,to prove a point,took the high powered amp out of his kids Chevy,disconnected the vette's[84] speakers,and wired the big amp to the Boise radio,and it played great,even better than factory.He then located the amp in the buckets behind the seats,where its easy to get to,and has lived happy ever after.

Get notified of new replies

To bose speakers

Quick Reply: bose speakers