C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Messy Oil Change conclusions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 PM
toroguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messy Oil Change conclusions...

I learned some tips reading previous posts on oil changes, and will add some of mine.

I ended up spilling and dripping oil way to much! Here are the reasons and remedies...

My apartment doesnt allow maintenance in the lot, so a friend offered their driveway for my adventure.

1985 model

I managed to reach the drain plug and the filter without ramps or jacks. It was a reach, but do-able from the drivers side. My first mistake was when I had the drain plug completely loose - I dropped it into the drain pan - which made everything a real pain afterwards. (Normally I drain the oil pan, wipe the hole and the drain bolt plug and reinstall it - then move the contaminated oil drain pan to under the filter for removal.)

Beware - the filter is next to a exhaust pipe, the pipe cools in about 10-15 minutes.

However, since the plug was at the bottom of "Lake 10W30" I thought I could manage the little drips and remove the oil filter all without any oil hitting the ground. The oil filter must have been pressurized because as soon as I broke it loose it began a steady leak (missing the drain pan of course) As I unscrewed the filter more - more oil came out - I thought this was going to be a simple no oil spill removal because the filter is screwed straight up and should act as a cup?

My second mistake was not having heavier rags to catch the drips from the open oil pan while I panned for the plug in the hot oil! I had paper towels and the wind was 25 to 30 mph.

I managed to find the drain plug in the contaminated oil, get it wiped off and installed to stop the tiny drips. A magnet tool would have made grabbing a bolt from 5 qts of hot oil much easier - another lesson - bring all the tools!

A cool tip I read here that I would have overlooked was to add new oil into the filter before installing it - a common sense thing that wouldn't have crossed my mind...I don't recall the poster of that tip, but I liked it!

I used Castrol Synthetic blend in the 5 quart container from Wal Mart, it is a cheaper per quart than buying the individual bottles, but you will need a good funnel because it is cumbersome.

Wix 51069 oil filter - also fits 1984 as far as I can tell.

My summary:

Use rags not paper towels for drips, keep a magnet tool handy in case you drop the plug into the oil - or use a grate over the drain pan - the 5 quart oil jug is perfect for holding / transporting the contaminated oil - I used to use milk cartons, but the 5 qt jug is stronger and has a tighter cap.

Also the $3 wal mart drain pan was shallow enough to make it under the car...a quick shift is needed to get it in place once you get the drain plug loose.

I spent more time cleaning my mess up than changing the oil - if done the right way, with all the supplies and tools it is a 15 minute job.

I bought the car 700 miles ago, the oil was crappy looking, brought it to a Speedy lube for a quick change, knowing I would "flush" it again after appx 700 miles (today)...I plan to do another flush in the next 30 days and then begin a regular 3000 mile change regiment. I know a guy who worked for a dealership - he changed his oil every week!

Happy motoring!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:43 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I can’t imagine trying to change the oil without getting the car up on ramps or jack stands. It’s just too “tight” under there.

What you found with the oil filter though is completely normal. Not just Corvettes, but every small block chevy I've ever seen. You could let it sit for hours and it would have still done that. What you do is get it loose (with the pan under it). Then start spinning it off until the oil running down the sides gets to your hand. Let it drain like that for a few minutes and it will almost stop running out. Not completely, but enough to where you can finish taking it off without making a mess.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:07 PM
lspalding
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I changed oil on a Corvette ONCE without lifting it. Never again. In fact, now I don't change the oil on any of my cars without lifting them, it's so much easier that way it's ridiculous. I use those molded plastic pans that drain the oil into the container. Solves the drain plug problem.

And forget the 15 minutes. Let the thing drain. I go 2-4 hours depending on what else I have to do around the house. I realize you are at someone else's house. Bring a 12 pack so they don't mind having you around for a while.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My technique is to let the oil drain then move the pan over so it is underneath the filter. Loosen the filter a little until the oil stops running out. Then remove it and dump the contents into the catch pan. Also, blue nitrate gloves are great. I tried those single use oil pan bolt washers from GM, not impressed. I went back to the good ole nylon washer. Seals great. No drips.

Used Mobil 1 filters for a while then switch to K&N filters. About the same price, $outrageous. Oh an Mobil 1 oil to match my fill cap
Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I wish i could remember where I bought it, but years ago I picked up a clear plastic container that was especially made to take the filter off my Corvette. It was about 2 inches longer than the filter and about half inch wider all around. Inside the cup-like container are fins all around the inside that helped hold onto the filter. Once the filter is broken loose, the container is then put onto the filter while it's still up and attached to the car. The fins inside the container grip the filter and allow the container and filter to start the counter-clockwise motion to take the filter off. When the filter starts leaking all around the top edge, the oil runs down the sides of the filter but caught by the container. The whole thing (container and filter) is taken off in one piece and can be tilted to let the oil drain into the oil pan. You don't loose a drop if your careful. I'd post a picture but I'm away from my home computer up in Virginia visiting my Son.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:46 PM
toroguy
Instructor

Before my fiasco I made a trip to Wal Mart for the 10W30 oil and the pan that would fit under the car without ramps.

Then another trip to the store that carries the WIX line of filters - I've heard good things about WIX and have never had trouble with anything Ive used them on. Superstitious I guess.

OK - then the store gave me the wrong filter!...I get home and read it is for a 85 GMC truck...log into WIX filter website and confirm the error.

Drive back to the store the next day (today) and exchange it.

Drive to another store to buy paper towels.

I realize on the way to the friends house that I cannot use my usual - cut the quart of oil container to use as a funnel for the rest - because it is a 5 quart jug!...so another stop at Kmart and a purchase of a $1 funnel is required.

My friend is a rehab counselor - so a normal good tiding of frosty beverages isnt good...I exchange oil change for an oil change. And yes, a frosty beverage is my "date" for tonights post.

Good to hear Im not alone on the pressure flow on the filter...that suprised me. Im used to filters that screw on vertically with a predictable drain...down! Crewzins filter tool sounds like a winner!

I think it would have been fine if I had only held onto the oil pan plug bolt. I changed the oil in a 92 Spirit 2.5L one day earlier - not a drop of spillage, nothing - a perfect DIY'er.

I did see a gadget tool at the store - it screws into your oil drain plug, but a hose can attach to it allowing a simple hand unscrew and hose placement into a pan...you leave it in, and attach the hose and draincock the fluid when needed...I think clearance might be an issue fr a Vette.

Cruise on people...great info - great people!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:56 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

At my point in life I just exercise my debit card. I take the Mobil 1 and drive to the local Pontiac dealer. They give me hot coffee, car magazines and fresh popcorn. The mechanics love to see my Corvette as it is still way cooler than the one or two Soltices they might sell this year.
I let them use their GM filter and they do not bitch about me bringing in my own oil.
No mess, no fuss, no hot oil running down my arm. No messed up garage floor. If the dealer happens to screw things up then their insurance buys me a new motor.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:04 AM
jserio
O.C.
Support Corvetteforum!

Just FYI. Punch a whole in the bottom of the filter. Let it drain then remove. It's garbage anyway. I hope I did not go off track here. My short attention span has not read all the replies.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:10 AM
toroguy
Instructor

After the whole deal - I did think Rons idea would have been the way to go!

The puncture hole is a smart idea. I almost created a hole from the torque needed to remove it after Stretch Armstrong used a wrench to tighten the filter at Super Lube.

I would imagine the dealership personnel are more qualified for these routine changes - I am considering a PT job at a GM dealer to support my Vette "habit".
Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 AM
rightofway
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've changed the oil on my car and many ambulances (fords ) and have determined that the oil always runs down the filter but i have never dropped the drain plug i guess it's from my fear of reaching into the 4 gallons of super hot oil that comes out of the ford powerstroke and i too buy my oil (by the gallon with an extra quart for topping off down the road) and filter from walmart but the "locking funnel" that i got there did not fit well in the 710 hole
Old 04-30-2006, 09:58 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

One of the reasons i keep a supply of cut up card board arounds. Just put a large piece under the car before changing the oil to catch any of those unexpect drips.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I never have a problem changing the oil in my '92. I just roll 'er up the Rhino Ramps and have at it.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by jserio
Just FYI. Punch a whole in the bottom of the filter. Let it drain then remove. It's garbage anyway. I hope I did not go off track here. My short attention span has not read all the replies.
Thats the trick,the filter is full to the brim with oil.Poke the hole,let it drain and put some towels in the bottom of the new filter box and put it in there.Not to hijack your thread here but a few years ago I wanted to change the oil in my new truck after the break in period.I get under the truck,remove the plug and go in the house to use the phone.Well the stream of oil cought a bur in the plastic oil seal at the oil pan and diverted the stream away from the pan onto the ground.5 + quarts of hot oil running down my driveway,in an apartment complex,in the morning with all my neighbors going to work...........White trash at its finest.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
jctoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bac22
One of the reasons i keep a supply of cut up card board arounds. Just put a large piece under the car before changing the oil to catch any of those unexpect drips.

Get notified of new replies

To Messy Oil Change conclusions...

Quick Reply: Messy Oil Change conclusions...