Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

88 Corvette w/ B4P Boost Fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default 88 Corvette w/ B4P Boost Fan Problem

Can anyone tell me when the (B4P) boost fan in front of the radiator is supposed to come on? The main fan comes on at 228 and goes off about 213, but the boost fan never comes on. No overheating problem, but if it's on there I want it to work. Does the temperature sender on the left side of the block control the operation of the boost fan? Does it come on just when the a/c is turned on? Help if you can. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:25 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 253 Likes on 212 Posts

It needs to be pretty hot for the boost fan to come on something like 235-240 F.

It is triggered by the coolant temp switch on the drivers side head. You can get a lower temp switch that will turn the boost fan on at 200 and off at 180.

I used to have both my fans controlled by the 200 on/180 off switch. This works well with a lower temp thermostat, too.

Now I have both fans wired in parallel for common control by the ecm. I just unplugged the switch once I got into ecm tuning, since I had already wired them in parallel.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xccter
Can anyone tell me when the (B4P) boost fan in front of the radiator is supposed to come on? The main fan comes on at 228 and goes off about 213, but the boost fan never comes on. No overheating problem, but if it's on there I want it to work. Does the temperature sender on the left side of the block control the operation of the boost fan? Does it come on just when the a/c is turned on? Help if you can. Thanks!
What tequilaboy said is accurate. I do know that the front pusher fan turns on like 5 degrees hotter, and off about 5 or so degrees hotter than the main fan. What I can't figure out, is why they didn't just hook them together. So they both just come on as stated above. My guess is to save on your alternator. However if both fans were on at the same time, they wouldn't be on as long as just the main fan. Love to be able to talk to the engineer/s that designed that. I would like to here there logic. They usually don't do these thing, unless there is a good reason. Thanks...

Last edited by Steel Breeze; 05-31-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.

Thanks. I just want to make sure it works since it's on there. Relay is fine, switch is next.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

Get notified of new replies

To 88 Corvette w/ B4P Boost Fan Problem

Quick Reply: 88 Corvette w/ B4P Boost Fan Problem