C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

radio wont turn off

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 AM
ol school
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio wont turn off

Okay so when I turn off my car(96) And open the door My radio is suppose to turn off .Sometimes it does and sometimes I have to manualy turn it off ,but when I do that ,the light on the radio remains on.Anyone run across this problem?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:46 AM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the driver's side door, there is a pressure button that is supposed to release when the door is opened to shut off the radio. Check to see if it is stuck.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:43 AM
atotalnincompoop
Race Director

my radio hasn't worked in 5 years
Old 06-20-2006, 07:45 AM
hollan62
Heel & Toe

Default re

I had the same prob. The door switch cost me $12. And you dont have to tear your door apart. Its a tight fit but it does go in & out.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the door switch is bad the interior lights will stay on as well, even as you drive. You didn't mention that, so there might be a problem elsewhere.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the door switch is stuck closed the interior lights will NEVER come on with that door.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:22 AM
prcollin
Racer

Originally Posted by kalister1
If the door switch is stuck closed the interior lights will NEVER come on with that door.
My car did the same thing when the terminals were loose ont he battery. Also the striker button (pressure button) was loose so I tightened it and the lights problem fixed too
Old 06-20-2006, 11:34 AM
ol school
Pro

okay then Ill ck some recomendations and get back.Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:35 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Default hmm.

I've noticed the same thing, from time to time... I wonder if it has something to do with leaving the lights on after turning off the key, and then turning the lights off? Either that, or after walking away from the car with the PKE in your pocket, the alarm activates, beeps the horn, and then the radio shuts off?

Be interesting to find out... althought I know my door switch is in less than average shape, could be related to this problem...
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 PM
84vette96
Racer

My 96 dose the same thing. Only after shuting the car off. I just push the pressure switch and it goes off. The lights will not come on while this happens untill I press and releise the button. I just live with this little problume.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 PM
ol school
Pro

okay well las nite my car was possesed.
First of all I think some of you were right,I think my problem may be
in the door switch.I noticed when i open the pass.side door the radio
went off as well as the lights.
I went to the bay (Galveston) rode without my top off ,the first time since owning the car(2 months).Does the alarm still work without the top?Seems that it never activated itself.Then the a/c prior to taken the top off wouldnt come out of the vents,air was coming thru the dash(windshield)vents creating moisture (condinsation) on the windshhield. My Service LTPWS came on several times.This car is not making my new experiance with my 96 very pleasurable........ O YEA AND now it appears that my pass side window is out of line when I shut the door it looks like its to high and I have lower before shutting the door so that it doesnt bind??What the H--- is going on ????The car was perfect when I bought it .Im so sad !!!!!!

Last edited by ol school; 06-21-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:33 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

No books here now but from memory there is a relay called the delayed bus relay. It is controlled by the CCM and keeps power on like to operate the radio. The CCM is probably signaled by the door switch so when the door is opened, the interior lights go on (at night) and the delayed bus relay is turned off. The relay could be bad, but stuck on is un-likly but possible. The CCM could be bad holding the relay on. Or the sence line (door switch) to the CCM is not properly being activated. Thats where I would start with the simple stuff.

I will try to get more information to refine my idea and fix any errors.

As far as your vents go, this could be a vacuum problem to the vents. Open the hood pop off the right hand (passenger) cover on the engine (above valve cover) and look for a black "T" fitting assembly (3 hoses) that is a check valve that might be falling appart. Inspect and if bad replace it.

Last edited by pcolt94; 06-22-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

kick that stock radio to the curb and get a new one That will solve all of your problems.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:05 PM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Ever21
kick that stock radio to the curb and get a new one That will solve all of your problems.
Got rid of the Delco-Bose system...went with the Alpine head unit and B&W speakers..rocks way more than the original!!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:13 AM
ol school
Pro

Default radio

Okay guys Put a lil squirt of some cleaner and presto the plunger in the dr door is working as well as my alarm which affected my radio.thanks for info.as far as replacing my radio it really jams pretty good for being factory.when the time comes and the radio actually goes out then ill entertain replacing it with a good one as well as upgrade on speakers.Im a little **** when it comes to putting differant color of lights(on the radio) white and blue , green or what ever color the radio may come with. Thanks for all the help guys .....

Last edited by ol school; 06-22-2006 at 04:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To radio wont turn off

Quick Reply: radio wont turn off