Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Urgent, picked up my C4, need help, problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:26 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Urgent, picked up my C4, need help, problems!

Hi all,

I just picked up my '90 L98 auto, completely stock.

I was driving it around for about 30 mins, then when I was sitting at a set of lights it just stopped and would not restart. I then waited a few minutes and tried again and it started and idled ok then stalled after driving off a few hundred meters.

Called a friend and they came and jump started me (in a '87 C4 not that that matters ), the car did the same thing.

I thought it may be battery related but we started it up and left it electrically connected to the other car, it would sit there and idle but when you hit the throttle it would just cough quickly and die. So I thought it was battery related but after that I started thinking otherwise.

I thought the gas may be bad because the car has been sitting for a while (about 6 months with the same 1/2 of a tank) we filled it up with premium (about took about 30 litres (thats about 7-8 gallons) to be full).

We then had the car towed back to the friends house (so it was sitting for about 45mins-1hr cooling down).

We then tried again and the car would crank every time (so I assume that means the battery wasn't the problem) and start and idle fine but still sound like it was missing when the throttle was applied.

The fuel pressure was tested (we were thinking the pump may be bad, but the fuel pressure held rock solid even at WOT).

Our friend thinks now that it may be ignition related (the ignition coil?), what do you guys think?

I am stuck a long way from home and need to sort this out asap, really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

cosmic

btw: I love the car (even with this problem)!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
red_johnny
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it could be the coil. Check connections also. See if when you wiggle the wires around the distributer (not the plug wires) if anything happens differantly. Then try wiggling the plug wires. First check the connectons at the plugs and cap. Good luck
Old 06-27-2006, 09:33 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Post this in the Tech/Performance section and many more will respond quickly! I'll write back on this soon!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sitting for 6 months with 1/2 tank would be cause to suspect condensation, ie water, in the fuel tank. Check for codes, but water in the gas wouldn't throw a code. Adding premium gas would do nothing to dissipate any water in the tank. Dry gas or isopropyl alcohol would do it if this assumption is correct.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by red_johnny
Sounds like it could be the coil. Check connections also. See if when you wiggle the wires around the distributer (not the plug wires) if anything happens differantly. Then try wiggling the plug wires. First check the connectons at the plugs and cap. Good luck
somewhat. I would suspect your ICM before the coil. The ICM is more heat sensitive than the coil. Coils are pretty rugged units. Check your cap/rotor for carbon tracking, replace if necessary. Best way to determine if your ignition is at fault is to drive it around close to home to try to get it to conk out again, then pop out a plug and check for spark. Also, look for any arching around the distributor area. Do this at night in well ventalated garage or in driveway. Back to the ICM, who knows how old it is? On your '90, is the ICM still located inside the distributor? No matter where it is, it will be mounted to a piece of metal or aluminum(heat sink), and there needs to be a good smear of heat sink compound BEWTWEEN the ICM and heat sink. Inadequate heat sink compound leads to hot spots from the ICM and they can malfunction, as this is an electronic circuit....and heat is the enemy here...

Also, see if you have any stored error codes, this is another "first thing to check for"....

Last thought...your fuel pump...another heat sensitive component. It amy have worked fine after cool down period, but spazes out after long operation. Duct tape your FP gauge to your windshield and see what happens when engine quits again...

Last edited by MikeC4; 06-27-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by MikeC4
somewhat. I would suspect your ICM before the coil. The ICM is more heat sensitive than the coil. Coils are pretty rugged units. Check your cap/rotor for carbon tracking, replace if necessary. Best way to determine if your ignition is at fault is to drive it around close to home to try to get it to conk out again, then pop out a plug and check for spark. Also, look for any arching around the distributor area. Do this at night in well ventalated garage or in driveway. Back to the ICM, who knows how old it is? On your '90, is the ICM still located inside the distributor? No matter where it is, it will be mounted to a piece of metal or aluminum(heat sink), and there needs to be a good smear of heat sink compound BEWTWEEN the ICM and heat sink. Inadequate heat sink compound leads to hot spots from the ICM and they can malfunction, as this is an electronic circuit....and heat is the enemy here...
Both with coils and electronic components, when they are failing the problem will often grow worse as engine temps (and thus the suspect component's temps) rise.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 PM
CJB
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmicvette
Hi all,

I just picked up my '90 L98 auto, completely stock.

I was driving it around for about 30 mins, then when I was sitting at a set of lights it just stopped and would not restart. I then waited a few minutes and tried again and it started and idled ok then stalled after driving off a few hundred meters.

Called a friend and they came and jump started me (in a '87 C4 not that that matters ), the car did the same thing.

I thought it may be battery related but we started it up and left it electrically connected to the other car, it would sit there and idle but when you hit the throttle it would just cough quickly and die. So I thought it was battery related but after that I started thinking otherwise.

I thought the gas may be bad because the car has been sitting for a while (about 6 months with the same 1/2 of a tank) we filled it up with premium (about took about 30 litres (thats about 7-8 gallons) to be full).

We then had the car towed back to the friends house (so it was sitting for about 45mins-1hr cooling down).

We then tried again and the car would crank every time (so I assume that means the battery wasn't the problem) and start and idle fine but still sound like it was missing when the throttle was applied.

The fuel pressure was tested (we were thinking the pump may be bad, but the fuel pressure held rock solid even at WOT).

Our friend thinks now that it may be ignition related (the ignition coil?), what do you guys think?

I am stuck a long way from home and need to sort this out asap, really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

cosmic

btw: I love the car (even with this problem)!

C4....Problems.......... How could that be in the same sentence.

Good Luck!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:18 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

No codes, Alex?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have access to the car right now it is at the guys house I towed it to last night and will be going over there in a few hours.

I didn't get a chance to check for codes last night, but will today.

The car had been driven previously on a couple of short trips without any sign of this problem.

I will keep you guys updated when I look at the car.

Cheers,

cosmic
Old 06-28-2006, 01:12 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

is it cold down there this time of year? We may be thinking heat related problems becuase it is summer time here.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 AM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bet ya a donut it's your control module (under your distributor rotor).
Old 06-28-2006, 01:26 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by C4boy
Bet ya a donut it's your control module (under your distributor rotor).

See your donut and raise a box of cheesits
Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Default problem solved, thankyou all

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying sooner I have been away from a computer.

First let me say thanks to everyone that replied with help. If any of you come down under let me know and you can come round my place for a beer.

The car is running fine now........what was it?...........................

It was the ignition module, the heatsink grease was almost all gone and the unit looked bad. The coil was also replaced as it looked pretty bad also but the cause of the problems was the module.

Other than that problem all I can say is WOW I love my '90. The ride compared to my '70 (don't get me wrong I still love my '70) is amazing.

Cheers

cosmic
Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmicvette
The car is running fine now........
It was the ignition module,.....cosmic

I love a story with a happy ending....

Larry
code5coupe
Old 06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 PM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

congrats on the fix...now go out and enjopy it!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Let me send you a copy of the Chris Petris C4 book from his Bloomington Gold '05 class. It has a lot of good info that you could use in the future.
Just PM me with your mailing address there in the land of Oz and I will mail it to you. Freebie for a brotha down unda!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Let me send you a copy of the Chris Petris C4 book from his Bloomington Gold '05 class. It has a lot of good info that you could use in the future.
Just PM me with your mailing address there in the land of Oz and I will mail it to you. Freebie for a brotha down unda!
No way! Thats awesome (Pm on its way).

Thanks everyone for your help. Car is great, pics are on the way. Haven't had a chance as I've been having too much fun driving this beast!

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent, picked up my C4, need help, problems!

Quick Reply: Urgent, picked up my C4, need help, problems!