C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

HELP! Problems w/ Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:53 PM
finnor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default HELP! Problems w/ Climate Control

It seems my automatic climate control is going bad. I usually keep it off, but today tried hitting the auto button. That didn't work, but I can direct flow to the floor, dash, or bi-level. I can increase temp, but not decrease. I cannot change fan speed. After persistent button pressing, I can turn it off. I think the control unit is going bad, and I found it online at many retailers. I assume it is simply plug and play.

Anybody replace the control unit? How hard is it to install?

Thanks,

--Tor
Old 07-01-2006, 12:09 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Remove the control head from the dash, unplug the connector on the rear and use a Q tip with electrical contact cleaner sprayed on it and wipe the pins on the head unit. Plug it back in and give it a try without reinstalling in case more work is necessary.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Arkybill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 94, the climate control did funny things also. I found the vacuum supply(on the intake) was broken. then the temp control didn't want to work (computer control) I ordered a new control head on line (don'tremember from who) it was less than $200. I put it in (took about 15 minutes) everything works fine now. By the way, I took the old control head apart (not hard to do) and found the main circuit board was not plugged up good on the side that has the off and auto switches.

these cars are not expensive to drive if you can do a little mechanical work yourself.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:30 AM
finnor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't looked yet, but does the dash panel come off easily> How many screws?

Thanks,

--Tor
Old 07-01-2006, 09:03 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by finnor
I haven't looked yet, but does the dash panel come off easily> How many screws?

Thanks,

--Tor
Funny you should ask. I was showing my new-to-me 96 to Gordon Killebrew at Cruise In VII and asked him if the newer C4s had the same problems as I did on my 87. He said that the controller is made better and does not come apart easily. If I recall correctly he said to remove the shift **** by prying off the 6-speed pattern and then removing the wedge that holds the **** in place. Then remove the center console or the forward portion thereof (can't remember). Then you can remove the trim piece that surrounds the controller and unbolt it. He said you can pry the plastic controller apart and clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner and superglue it back together. He did say that it might be easier to just buy a new one or get one from a salvage yard though. Try www.vette2vette.com
Now, I have not done this nor do I need to so don't rely on my old-fart brain's memory before tearing things apart. Hopefully someone will jump in here and correct any faulty info I may have given.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

My 87 did that same thing. Worst of all it was set on 32*c when i found out the cool button wasnt working!! I ended up discontecting the battery to bring it back to default. Was simply the contacts inside the button being dirty on mine. My 94 has the standard controller. Its not hard to get it out, if you can get it apart and clean the contacts it should work again, but try the connections at the plug first!!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Problems w/ Climate Control

Quick Reply: HELP! Problems w/ Climate Control