C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Starts and dies, but why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:18 PM
stallion8797
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts and dies, but why?

Well it started yesterday as I was puliing in the driveway, and the car just died. I turned it on and it fired right up but wouldn't hold an idle. I let it sit for about 30 mins while I cursed it out, and started it back up. Held an idle just long enough for me to put it in drive and pull it all the way up as soon as I let off the gas it died again. The car has 138k on the clock, and has been sitting for the past two years. The power feels less then optimal, it was overheating a little bit, and before I put new gas in it when I stepped on the throttle it would hesitate and then completely stop after 3000 rpms.

I just replaced the cap and rotor and discovevered the old one was completely shot. I replaced the fuel filter, but the old one asn't that dirty. For some reason this car also has a second inline fuel filter in the engine compartment.

I am completely baffled as to what could be the problem. Three days ago the car drove and ran fine and then all of a sudden this happens. Please help. Its an 89 auto.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a steper motor that controls the idle. It is caled the idle air control motor. I would consult the manual and start you troubleshooting here.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:01 PM
stallion8797
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sometimes its the simplest things that work. That IAC was the problem. thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Starts and dies, but why?

Quick Reply: Starts and dies, but why?