C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

General (newb) Questions about a 1990 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:49 AM
chaosbunny
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General (newb) Questions about a 1990 Corvette

So I'll say first off that I come from a BMW forum, and im extremely un-knowlegeable with Corvettes, but a friend of my fathers is selling a 1990 Corvette.. and we may purchase it... here is my question...
it is a 6-Speed manual, convertable, V8.. and is in very good condition.. when i initally saw it.. i had never heard of the ZR1 model.. and don't remember if he said it is a ZR1.. with the traits i just mentioned.. is it a ZR1 , or can you not tell?... he is willing to sell for below $14,000 to us .. and we would own it for about a year and hopefuly sell it for more.. does this seem logical (does the value of these cars generally increase with a year's time?)

the guy selling it mentioned that the corvette is a "roadster" and is some kind of special edition.. (according to my dad who knows nothing about cars, the guy could have said it is a zr-1 and my dad may remember him saying roadster) but i could find no such thing as a 1990 corvette roadster special editoin... so im guessing it very well may be a zr1... anyway... thanks for any help

Last edited by chaosbunny; 07-15-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I doubt it's a ZR1.

Look at the vin located driver side lower corner of the windshield.

ZR1's were only coupes no verts. unless it has been converted.

ZR1 vehicle ID number should start with 1G1YZ
Regular vette starts with 1G1YY

It will also be obvious if it's a ZR1 when you open the hood and see the engine.

For ZR1 info. http://www.zr1.net

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 07-15-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:09 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosbunny
it is a 6-Speed manual, convertable, V8.. and is in very good condition.. when i initally saw it.. i had never heard of the ZR1 model.. and don't remember if he said it is a ZR1.. with the traits i just mentioned.. is it a ZR1 , or can you not tell?... he is willing to sell for below $14,000 to us .. and we would own it for about a year and hopefuly sell it for more.. does this seem logical (does the value of these cars generally increase with a year's time?)
thanks for helping me ..
If it is a convertable, then it is not a ZR1. All ZR1's did come with the 6 speed manual tranny though. The ZR1 sports a badge on the right rear bumper and the only real way to tell is to look at the LT5 engine. How many miles does this 90 have on it? The convertables and 6 speed vettes do bring a higher price than an auto. Generally the price of a vette will drop in time, to a certain point. Then collector value starts to play a role (depending on originallity and shape).
Old 07-15-2006, 12:12 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

If it's a convertible it's not a ZR-1.

The easiest way to tell a ZR-1 is to open the hood. If there is a 32V V8 in there it's a ZR-1. If it's a TPI V8 it's not. From the outside it's not real easy to tell the difference between a ZR-1 and a non ZR-1. The rear of the car from the doors back is wider. It will, of course, have a ZR-1 emblem on the rear bumper (but, like M3 badges on standard BMW's, posers will add these to their cars). Look at the rear license plate. If it's a regular Vette the reverse lights will be right next to the licnse plate. If it's a ZR-1 it will have a black filler strip about 1" to 1.5" between the license plate and the reverse light. This is to accomidate the wider rear end on the ZR-1.

Don't dismiss the car just because it's not a ZR-1. Drive it, even a stock Vette is a potent weapon and the L98 can be easily modded for more power.

6 speed convertible '90 is a real nice year/combo. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by VtVette; 07-15-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:22 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome, how many miles on it and are there things that are not original ? Those two factors will play into the value and whether you can make money on it!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:24 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the guy selling it mentioned that the corvette is a "roadster"

I beleive the term 'roadster' simply refers to any two seat convertable, any year, any make, any model. Call it a convertable, call it a vert, call it a roadster. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Same thing.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:51 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Technically a roadster does not have roll-up windows (the 53-55 Corvettes were roadsters, 56 on were convertibles) but some people use the term for any drop top car.

All ZR1's were coupes. and had a VIN 1G1YZ23Jxxxxxxxxx as opposed the the regular production cars which were 1G1YY238xxxxxxxxx. He may have droped an LT5 engine into the car ( a very expensive swap) but a true ZR1 would also have a separate "power key" in the center dash to disable the full power of the engine (very useful when valet parking the car)

The only other special edition I can think of is that the car is a Z51 (Performance handling package). This option also was only available on the coupes in 1990 but it's always possible that the car was originally built for some big shot at GM who was able to get that package installed in a convertible. Check the option list under the center console cover. Look specifically for "CC2". This is the auxiliary hardtop for the converible. If its listed it should come with the car. I've seen several instances where the seller tried not to include it with the car then tried to pick up an extra $1500 - 2000 selling it separately.

Don't expect to sell the car for a profit in a year. The C4's are still on the downward side of the price curve and probably won't start to appreciate for several more years (if ever).

Take a pencil and paper with you and copy all of the option codes listed under the center console cover. Then let us know what it has. This will give us a better idea of the car's worth.

If you don't know much about these cars perhaps a friend who is knowledgable or a member of this forum who lives near you can look at it with you and your father.

Good luck

Last edited by jrzvette; 07-15-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by newbecorvetteguy
the guy selling it mentioned that the corvette is a "roadster"

I beleive the term 'roadster' simply refers to any two seat convertable, any year, any make, any model. Call it a convertable, call it a vert, call it a roadster. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Same thing.
I agree, to me all open, 2 seat cars are roadsters. I found it rather surprising when I first joined the forum and saw them referred to as convertibles. They are that too but roadster is the more correct term IMO. The price is in the range for a nice drop-top of that era but you won't likely make any money on it.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone pretty much answered all the questions.

The ZR-1 and Z-51 packages were not available with convertibles in 1990. It still could have the adjustible shocks (look for a switch that says "tour", "sport" & "perf").

The L-98 engine with the 6-speed is an awsome combo. In todays market it is one of the best "bang-for-the-buck" sport cars out there.

"Roadster" is not correct term for a C4 convertible. But enough people say it anyway that it's accepted.

Things to look for.
If it has the factory CD player check to see if it's still working.
Condition of the soft top, seats, carpet.

There is the possibility the seller doesn't know the correct terms for Corvettes. Yes, there are some Corvette owners that don't know the difference between a coupe and convertible.

A convertible will have a folding soft top.
A coupe will have a rear glass hatch, and a removable roof panel either body color or tinted glass. Some people refer to this incorrectly as a convertible.

As said earlier, open the center storag compartment between the seats and copy all the codes from the "service identification label". Make sure the VIN on that sticker matches the vehicles actual VIN. Then post here with your findings.

Last edited by Z-07 freak; 07-15-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:19 PM
AILERON
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z-07 freak
Everyone pretty much answered all the questions.

The ZR-1 and Z-51 packages were not available with convertibles in 1990. It still could have the adjustible shocks (look for a switch that says "tour", "sport" & "perf").

The L-98 engine with the 6-speed is an awsome combo. In todays market it is one of the best "bang-for-the-buck" sport cars out there.

"Roadster" is not correct term for a C4 convertible. But enough people say it anyway that it's accepted.

Things to look for.
If it has the factory CD player check to see if it's still working.
Condition of the soft top, seats, carpet.

There is the possibility the seller doesn't know the correct terms for Corvettes. Yes, there are some Corvette owners that don't know the difference between a coupe and convertible.

A convertible will have a folding soft top.
A coupe will have a rear glass hatch, and a removable roof panel either body color or tinted glass. Some people refer to this incorrectly as a convertible.

As said earlier, open the center storag compartment between the seats and copy all the codes from the "service identification label". Make sure the VIN on that sticker matches the vehicles actual VIN. Then post here with your findings.
ZO7 Freak is complete correct here. I've seen many a coupe advertised as a convertible because the seller assumed (or tried to get over) on the idea that the removable targa top made it a convertible. Not so.

The guys are also right about values. The C4s are generally on the decline, presently. They will come back eventually, but not soon. I saw this with the C2 and C3 generations, also. (I'm pushing 60, so I was around when these earlier generations were going through their maturation, decline, and ultimate resurgence.) Matter of fact, (and I've been researching prices since Oct, 2002) the fifth generation (1997-2004) cars have already begun to decline.

What color is the car you're looking at? Tell you what, I've got a fully optioned '90 convertible in all black and I absolutely love it.

Good luck on your decision. Please let us know the outcome.

Last edited by AILERON; 07-15-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:58 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Also, look at the rear facia/bumper of the car. Are the tail lights perfectly round or rectangular? The ZR1 had the rectangular headlights and the rest had the round. This is also the last year of the round tail lights and the first year of the new dash (analog & digital gauges rather than all digital). I have a 1990 Vert (with aux hardtop) with 75,000 miles and it and paid $8,000. Although that price was cheaper than average (he was a motivated seller), I think there is some haggle built into the price that you were quoted.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?

Let me adjust this a little.
Originally Posted by AILERON
ZO7 Freak is complete correct here. I've seen many...
Old 07-16-2006, 08:47 AM
AILERON
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z-07 freak
Let me adjust this a little.

Yeah, I know. Didn't proof read. Oops.:o

Ohhhhhhhh - the font. I'm still chuckling about the emphasis.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:55 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Roadster to me means, convertible. There were no ZR1s made to my knowledge that were roadsters. You don't state the mileage, condition or other useful info like what's on it, how it's been maintained, damage if any, etc. so it's a little hard to tell. Lots of pics, up close, interior, engine, etc. would also help. As it stands, to buy it at that price, who knows if that's a deal? I don't.

To sell it after buying it at that price, for a profit--I doubt it.

If it is a ZR1, and it is not a roadster, and it is not in horrible condition, then maybe it is a very good deal at $14K. But 1) there are others on this C4 who can comment on the value of ZRs and 2) there are so many "ifs" that need to be looked at/answered first.

Tell us more, show us more, get more solid info. And a big welcome to the Cor. Forum!!!

Get notified of new replies

To General (newb) Questions about a 1990 Corvette

Quick Reply: General (newb) Questions about a 1990 Corvette