C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:07 PM
nevadared95vette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Have an oil leak '95 LT1. Dripping off front of oil pan. Pan isn't leaking. Intake manifold isn't leaking. Much more than a drop or 2. Impossible to see anything below top of water pump. Any thoughts on source of leak? About to start removing parts. Don't like having a dirty bottom.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Yes, if it's not the intake or the pan, it's either the water pump drive seal, the opti seal or the crank seal. Or any combination of the three. It's irrelavent anyway because if you tear it down to do any of them, it'd be wise to do all three while you're there. This will be a good bit of work and it'd also be the time to replace your timing set, as the chain will be stretched, and the water pump, before it starts leaking. Also, although your car has the improved, later opti you may want to consider replacing it, depending on your mileage.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced the leaking front crank seal on my 93. Be prepared for some work. It would help to be an experienced DIY Vette mechanic. Its not a job for a first time novice.

Larry
Old 08-12-2006, 11:00 PM
goldeneye_vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack your thread nevadared but have to ask how about a leak on an L98 as nevadared has described on an L98 without ANY smog equipment? I have a feeling I'm not going to like the answer?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak

Quick Reply: Oil Leak