Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Double Tinting a Targa?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:05 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Double Tinting a Targa?

I am considering having my '88 targa top tinted professionally to make it darker than just the factory tinting.

I've tried the "static cling" and "block-out headliner shades" from the usual suspects, but they look like what they look like.

Anyone had this done? All you SoCal/Texas/Florida folks? Pics?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Fast-Eddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have asked several tint shops and no one I found would even touch it. I finally gave up and put on the solid top instead. I got sick of my melon getting burned....
Old 08-24-2006, 03:08 PM
flyinlow90
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddy
I have asked several tint shops and no one I found would even touch it. I finally gave up and put on the solid top instead. I got sick of my melon getting burned....
I was wondering if you could tint the targa top. I didn't think so as the tint would not stick to the plastic top.

Best solution...just get a solid top.

Gary
Old 08-24-2006, 04:22 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

tried having this done the other day. Doesnt work , the tint wont properly stick, kept getting lines and wrinkling.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Hotred94
Pro

My tint guys told me it can'b be done because the plastic off-gases creating little bubbles over time. I made a headliner that looks first-rate and works absolutely great. Cockpit is 10 degrees cooler and no fried brain. It ranks as one of the best mods I've ever done.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinkin about the same thing. Its illegal in AZ to have limo tint (20-5 percent light transmission) on anything but the rear hatch glass, so I figured if anything, I'd want it a temporary/removable thing in case the bacon patrol decides to f*** with me again. All the tinting shops around here do is bubble-wrap your sh**. I'm wondering if there's a place that can permanently tint the glass in a targa like they would auto glass. There is however; a solution to all of you wanting something solid without getting a solid top. Its a zip in cover underneath your targa glass that makes it just like a solid or better for substantially less. You also get the option of unzipping it if you do wanna keep your current setup. I saw them in Mid America mags.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:10 AM
MDOGwindowtinter
Burning Brakes

DO NOT TINT PLASTIC!

I have been tinting professionally for the last 17 years and i can definitely tell you from my experiences that it`s NOT a good idea to tint plexi type windows.

The plastic windows OUTGAS when they get hot and it causes bubbles to form in the tint, also the plastic expands and contracts WAY more than glass does and it will stretch the crap out of the tint. Tint applied over plastic windows can literally look like hell in a 6 month period, then if you want to take it off you have to scrape it off and if you have ever tried to scrape something off a plastic surface you know you will destroy it.

Its common knowledge in the tinting prefession that you do NOT tint plastic windows.

hope this helps you save ALOT of grief.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Thanx MDOG. That's why I asked.

Get notified of new replies

To Double Tinting a Targa?

Quick Reply: Double Tinting a Targa?