C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Window question on new vette.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window question on new vette.

Okay so I took the new vette for the second time last night . and the only thing that seems wrong with it is the drivers window is out of adjustment or loose or something. When I shut the door with the window all the way up it hits the back pillar with the top back corner of the window to a point it has rubbed all the paint away and then sits on top of the weather seal on the front pillar instead of in the groove of the seal . If I roll the window down then back up then it will seal properly. Haven't tore door apart yet but thought maybe I'd see if it is a common problem from you guys before I go nuts in tearing the door apart. Oh yeah it is a 96 if that matters.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Most likely a broken plastic window guide; a common failure. Available at your local Chevy store.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
RonVette2
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was my first thought too, easy fix
Old 08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

... what the other's have said. Although it's takes some time and quite of bit of disasembly to get to it (you must remove the door panel and the inside accessory mounting panel), and unless your lucky with needle nose vice grips it requires a special tool to assist in removing it.

P/N 10243037 LH (be sure to mention which side it is for) Guide, F D LH. (aka Window Guide Stop in the Factory Service Manual FSM)
Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Thanks for mentioning that nut. The plastic guide is attached to the glass with a 2" diameter flat nut on the backside of the glass. You will most likely have to have a way to hold the nut. When turning the 10mm through bolt with a socket the flat disc type nut will usually spin and not allow the bolt to be removed. The nut has two small holes about 1" apart for holding with a spanner type tool mentioned above. Go to snapon.com and look at tool number AFS482B which is what I have here that worked for me. You could probably fabricate a spanner with a piece of steel stock with two bolts through one end the right distance apart. Many have said they also successfully used 90 degree needle nose pliers but I have not tried that. The vice grips might work too but I don't think I would recommend that.

Last edited by Greg Gore; 08-29-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Thanks guys, I'm going to call local chevy dealer. Not going hold my breath on them having it. I see ecklers has it though so thats probably were I'll order. Is this piece on the front or back of the glass?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Front, easy to get to. It's the nut on the backside of the glass that will make the job difficult if you are not prepared to get a grip on it somehow.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:19 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I did a write up on it some time back. It should be in the archives......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1173896

Pics will be available for a few days, I'll have to repost the write-up with corrected pic links since the original post is 1 yr old and locked, and i can't edit the links.

Last edited by vetteusa; 08-29-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

WOW! Ask and you shall recieve! Doesn't get anymore explained than that. The picture you show before the fix is precisely what is happening to me. Thanks a million! I know what I'll be doing before the weekend.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Teddydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think a pair of 90 deg snap-ring pliers would work? Just a thought as I have not seen the part in question.

Rob
Old 08-29-2006, 04:06 PM
ol school
Pro

Originally Posted by Teddydog
Do you think a pair of 90 deg snap-ring pliers would work? Just a thought as I have not seen the part in question.

Rob
I tried the snap ring trick .It didnt work vice grips on the other hand worked,had to replace mine when i bought car,and 4 months later Getting ready to replace it again ,Pass side glass both times .Whats up with these guides?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

I just ordered mine from ecklers, says it is a brand new item from them. kinda looks from the picture different from stock. I'll let you know if the ecklers ones are a improvement or just the exact copy of oem.

Get notified of new replies

To Window question on new vette.

Quick Reply: Window question on new vette.