Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ever done a Bubba repair to your C4?? I did today [lotsa pics]

Old 12-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Ever done a Bubba repair to your C4?? I did today [lotsa pics]

I went to shut off my headlights the other night, and they wouldn’t shut off…..that is….the switch wouldn’t go in far enough to shut them off. I had to pop the **** off and push the switch rod all the way in to get them to go off. Today I found out why….

Yep….GM’s lovely plastic dash disintegrated. Seems 23 year old plastic is a lousy structural material. Also seems that I had only a couple of options to repair it. One, dismantle the entire dash setup on the car and find a used dash setup….which would cost a fortune to ship and most likely wouldn’t be much better than what I have….or Two….come up with a bubba repair. Option 2 would be cheap or free…but would require some ghetto rigging. Option 2 it is. Hmmmm….what would work as a suitable patch that I have laying around the house? How about an angle iron??

Yep…just cut that puppy in half with a hacksaw and do a little drilling. This might just work!

Next I removed the nut that used to support the plastic dash and coated the stud with a dab of grease to mark the spot to drill. I then drilled the hole and slid the angle iron over the dash stud and put the nut on.

I then put the gauge bezel back on and put a dab of correction fluid on the switch rod and slid it through the bezel to mark the spot to drill my new “switch support”. Removed everything, drilled the hole, and……

mounted it up. Then I mounted the switch up and put the nut back on it. Everything lined up nicely….musta been accurate with my correction fluid. I love it when a plan comes together.

Solid as a rock now. While I had it apart I replaced a burned out bulb in the cluster. Total cost $10 for the bulb and about 2 hours of my time. I can’t imagine what this would have cost at a repair shop.

Anybody else done any serious bubba repairs on their C4 that they'd care to share? Or am I the last redneck in the Western Hemisphere?

Last edited by Frizlefrak; 12-09-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Ttime
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it turned out good considering the other choices you had. I was expecting Duct tape and liquid nails from the topic title.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ttime
I was expecting Duct tape and liquid nails from the topic title.

The thought occured to me....
Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Shawn_65
Pro

great work, glad to hear about those happy endings once in a while
Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Shawn_65
Pro

Wow.. Sorry about that guys.. stupid computer <(><)>

theres my posts for the next 5 days.. lol, goin for that 1 post a day
Old 12-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Hey....I'll take it as 3 compliments.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:57 AM
baddmann
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttime
I think it turned out good considering the other choices you had. I was expecting Duct tape and liquid nails from the topic title.

A true Bubba repair would have involved Duct tape, epoxy, or wood glue. After everything was done, the repair would have looked like an afterthought... What you did was actually use your brain to save a little $$$.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Hey....I'll take it as 3 compliments.
...make it four!

the same sort of thing happened to my 85. the plastic around the larger nut above the headlight switch cracked and broke into several pieces. as i was driving to work one day, i noticed that the LH corner of the dash moved up and down about an inch or so. at first i thought the nut was loose, and it would be an easy repair. when i took the IP bezel off, i noticed the damage and realized the effort to replace the dash frame structure. my repair was similar to yours. first i glued all the broken plastic pieces with superglue. not that the superglue would solve the problem, but i wanted the correct form and thickness of the original frame. i designed a sheetmetal bracket out of .063, aluminum with all the correct cuts, bends and mounting holes for the screws, nuts, headlight switch, etc, and used 3M body mount double sided tape to secure the bracket to the dash frame. finally i reassembled the mounting hardware. its been about 7 years now, and my dash is as solid as new.

while working on my 85's interior restoration, i had the same sort of problem where the dash frame center section attaches to the console frame - broken plastic at four (4) attachment points. i went thru the same type of repair - sheetmetal and double sided tape as a repair patch. my whole dash assembly is as solid as ever.

BTW, dont think of your fix as a "bubba repair" - think of it as good old "american ingenuity"!

again, and

BTW, i'll edit this post with an attachment of a detailed, dimensional drawing of my repair bracket. i'm sure, we're not the only two with that sort of a problem.

Last edited by Joe C; 12-09-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:08 AM
merplastic91
Pro

good repair. By no means bubba as there is no duct tape, wood screws or string. Probably better than new and the only cost effective way to keep our 20+ year cars on the road
Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 AM
FrankN
Racer

Great job!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:24 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

That can't be "Bubba Engineered" there are no zip ties used!

I think that solution is a fine example of American "Backyard Engineering" applied to correct something the PhD's didn't think about in the first place!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Doug 87L98
Drifting

Grat repair job. Thanks for posting the work.

I'll have to keep that in mind as my car turns 20 next year.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
flyinlow90
Drifting

Great Job

Ever consider changing your screen name to McGyver?

Gary
Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe C
i'm sure, we're not the only two with that sort of a problem.
This is what I was thinking too.....when I saw what was causing the problem, it occured to me that there must be other C4 owner's that have encountered the same situation. Might not be a bad idea to snap some pics and I re-engineered my dash with construction products.

Thanks for all the compliments folks. Since I didn't use any duct tape, JB weld, Liquid nails, wood screws, zip ties, hose clamps, Elmer's glue, or permanent C-Clamps, I guess it's not as bubba as I thought.

Anyone else have any "unusual" repairs on their C4's? Sooner or later we'll probably all run into the same or similar problems. Might be good to have an idea on how to attack the problem.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:58 PM
5pinball
Burning Brakes

did aprox same repair on wifes 88 3yrs ago.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:12 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinlow90
Great Job
Ever consider changing your screen name to McGyver?
Gary
I think for McGyver status he'd have to use a blade of grass, a chewing gum wrapper and a shoe lace to break out of jail.

Although, a good fix just the same!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:06 PM
AZC4Guy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry but this simply doesn't apply as a bubba repair. Your problem solving and excellent execution along with, as someone else mentioned, no sign of duct tape makes this not qualified as a Bubba.

Sorry, your fit and finish are simply too well done ... no bubba for you.

Great work!

Get notified of new replies

To Ever done a Bubba repair to your C4?? I did today [lotsa pics]

Old 12-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by AZC4Guy
Sorry, your fit and finish are simply too well done ... no bubba for you.
I guess a true Bubba fix would have been to remove the headlight switch completely, and then drill the hole in the bezel bigger and run the wires through it and attach them to a dangling toggle switch.

Then attach the dangling toggle switch to the steering column with a strip of duct tape (Duck brand).

Trust me...in my high school days in the 70's, I did a lot of this type of repair. I had a Chevy Luv pickup that had a broken hood release cable. There weren't any parts trucks in the junkyards, and I couldn't afford the part new....so I rigged a cable from a ten speed bike shifter and ran it out the front fenderwell. One good tug, and up came the hood.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:53 PM
FF1wms
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Good job! Adapt and improvise, that's what it's all about.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Nice repair job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ever done a Bubba repair to your C4?? I did today [lotsa pics]