C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Save the leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 PM
oaklands
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save the leather seats

I have been thinking about getting some seat covers to protect the existing seats in my 88. The seats are red and it pretty good shape. The driver's side has some leather cracks (no tears) and the passenger side is in excellent condition.

The car only has 40,000 on it. The Iggies are pretty expensive but do look great from pictures I have seen on the forum. Has anyone found some cheaper covers that have a snug fit and look pretty good? I am not looking for perfection but want something presentable that will protect my existing seats.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Keith
Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

If all you want is protection,go with the Iggies,I don't think you will find anything out there much cheaper for 200 bucks. I put them on mine,and was not very happy with them.I've had them less then one year,and the bolster is already worn through,but that could be just my fat ***.Remember they are slip on seat COVERS!Not real replacement covers.Mine fit poorly.I had to stuff alot of batting under them to fill out the voids in the seats.I have seen pictures of others,and they look better then mine.Maybe I just got a bad batch.My wife helped me put these on,and she has reupolstered alot of furniture,and worked as a seamstess,and she said these things are junk.I'm going to have her redo the seats properly next summer.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Iggies or for a bit more, Wet Okolie.

What ever you do don't go with the shearling wool.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:13 AM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

Why not just ride out the leather....until they need replaced, then..worry about it......
Old 12-25-2007, 02:57 AM
oaklands
Instructor

Originally Posted by CINNEMAN
Why not just ride out the leather....until they need replaced, then..worry about it......
I've thought about that. I was hoping to save the leather for now. I think the Iggees will be the way I will go if I choose to add the covers. They are cheaper than what I thought they were. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:59 AM
oaklands
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIMMESOME
I've had them less then one year,and the bolster is already worn through,but that could be just my fat ***.
I've got one of those too.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Billy Stargazer
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oaklands
I've got one of those too.

I had that problem when I first bought my 87 coup. I read a suggestion somewhere to switch the seats. I did this in about an hour. (I have the sport seats.) This will even out the wear. I then took some neatsfoot oil and "fed" the seats making the leather much more pliable and softer. It cost about $2.99 per qt. at your local hardware store. I know you can buy stuff much more expensive but the main ingredient is neetsfoot oil, they just sell it under other names. This may sound crazy but after the oil dried I took some red auto touch up paint and brushed the dark spot that was worn on the bolster. It covered beautifully and after several years still looks great. I was conviced that I needed bottom foam for the driver side when I first got the car. I have now decided I was mistaken and it looks pretty good. If anyone needs bottom sport seat foam I will sell it for a reasonable price.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:14 PM
5speedC4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CINNEMAN
Old 12-25-2007, 12:38 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

My iggee's are a perfect fit. They look like they were professionally done. Hate to say it but, iggee's make the seats look better than my leather seats do.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Proper cleaning and using good auto leather seat care products is the way to go. Leather seats will appear "cracked" over time and that's the nature of the material.

Covering the seats will cause the leather to dry out and hasten cracking. There will be increased wear because the covers are rubbing against the leather. Dirt will pass thru the cover and eventually will act like sandpaper against the leather.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:29 PM
seajayiii
Advanced

Default Do The Swap

Originally Posted by Billy Stargazer
I had that problem when I first bought my 87 coup. I read a suggestion somewhere to switch the seats. I did this in about an hour ...
I agree. I swapped the seats (bottoms and backs) on my '90 Coupe at about 90,000 miles. Actually, the driver's side wasn't in that bad a shape to begin with, but now (post-swap) it looks practically brand new. I also use a quality leather conditioner to keep the seat pliable and clean. I figure by the time it gets to 180K miles, I might actually need to resurface the seats ... if I am not dead by then
Old 12-25-2007, 03:03 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

These original seats on my '88 Vert are cleaned and treated with Lexol in the spring, mid-season and before winter hibernation...
Old 12-25-2007, 07:04 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Proper cleaning and using good auto leather seat care products is the way to go. Leather seats will appear "cracked" over time and that's the nature of the material.

Covering the seats will cause the leather to dry out and hasten cracking. There will be increased wear because the covers are rubbing against the leather. Dirt will pass thru the cover and eventually will act like sandpaper against the leather.
Any conditioner, like neatsfoot oil that keeps the leather from drying out is the way to go. Also, with temp and age, the foam will degrade allowing more stress on the leather in spots, causing it to crack.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:53 PM
drippingwithgold
Racer

Originally Posted by rws.1
These original seats on my '88 Vert are cleaned and treated with Lexol in the spring, mid-season and before winter hibernation...
Very nice interior?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 PM
oaklands
Instructor

RWS.1. That is the color of my seats. Yours look great!! I bought some Lexol and it arrived right before Christmas. I will give it a good cleaning and treatment and see how it looks.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 12-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Harryscarlot
Racer

Lexol .. I use that stuff on anything leather!. rws, that interior looks great

Get notified of new replies

To Save the leather seats

Quick Reply: Save the leather seats