C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

One Cold Vette Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM
kcdave51
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default One Cold Vette Again

I'm sorry guys. I've been fighting this problem over a year now and have forgotten some of the things I've done to try to solve my problem.
First off, I drive a 1995 LT1.
I have flushed the core both forward and backward. So I know it's clear of obstructions. Also the antifreeze is fresh and at the correct level.
I know of the hot/cold door you're talking about Siveck. But I thought the only way to get to it was to pull the dash(and that's not going to happen). I'll give it a good look under the hood again and see if I can locate what you're talking about.
Other than that, please keep the suggestions coming. I live in Kansas City and baby it's cold outside. About 15 degrees right now.
Thanks for your replies though.

kcdave51
Old 01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Here are pictures to check the heater door.

Remove the clip holding down the wireharness and the three bolts holding down this part.

Door-closed

You'll have to get a long screw driver to open the door up. Have some one set your heater to 90 to check it first. Most likely the the door will just bairly move and not open at all. Now, you can pry open the door. If you leave the heater at 90, the door will stay open till you turn the heat down, then it will probably close on you. That's what mine does.

Picture of the Door-open

I'll be dropping my car off at the shop to have this fixed tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it back by the weekend with about $400 out of my pocket ($80+ in parts, almost three hundred in expected labor). You do have to pull the dash to replace the actuator and/or the door. You also can't find out to the extend of the damage till you get in there. I'm preparing to change out my heater core too if he has to go deep enough into the dash....I'm kinda hoping he does at this point. with my luck the heater core will start leaking next week if I don't.

Last edited by shakedown067; 01-31-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice job with the pictures.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default You have no heat; I have no AC!

Hey- KCdave!
"I live in Kansas City and baby it's cold outside. About 15 degrees right now."

I have the solution- My vette is stuck on heat. Maybe we could switch cars for six months of the year!! Where I live, I rarely need the heater.

Seriously- did you ever get a fix for your heat-blend door? I just got this car (93 convertible) and when I try to switch from heat to cool, nothing moves (looking through the hole that Shakedown6 referred to).

I'm not anxious to remove the dash. I've seen people write about a manual cable solution, to actuate the door, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I bought a used door motor on eBay, but I don't think there's any way to reach the part to remove and replace it.

Anyone else have ideas on a solution?
Thanks
Paul
Old 09-30-2010, 04:41 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously? 2007?

Last Activity: 11-25-2008 OP users profile. Doubt your gonna get any response.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've really been pulling out dead threads today.
In before the ban hammer starts pounding.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default 2007 is a long time ago, to you?

The universe is billions of years old. 2007 is only an eye-blink ago!!

Any how, this is a problem that affects lots of corvette owners, but there are very few definitive solutions.

I took out my glovebox, thinking it might give me access to the place I needed to get to. I was a long way off!!
I have the shop manual, but even with that, I'm not even thinking about taking the Dash pad off.
I'm waitinng for the day when they can miniaturize people and I can climb in there and get the part changed without removing all the extraneous parts.
Next practical step is disconnect the water from the heater and bypass the heater core.
TTFN
Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

On my 88 the clip from the motor to the door broke. Going in through the resistor module I opened the door and installed a shut off valve in the feed line to the heater core. If you want heat open the valve, if not close it and use the A/C.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 PM
gene2661
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked inside the resistor module opening and the door is free moving but with a mirror I could tell that the clip WASNT broke off the door. How is the rod attached to the actuator motor?? It must be broke at the motor. Should there be some resistance in moving the door?? Just cant get to it YET !!! Any help ..And
plazsr how did you connect the cable to the door. Could you be more specific. I think that is the way to go..GM wants 8.6 hrs to replace if the can find a motor. Any idea on that to.

Last edited by gene2661; 05-11-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by gene2661
I looked inside the resistor module opening and the door is free moving but with a mirror I could tell that the clip WASNT broke off the door. How is the rod attached to the actuator motor?? It must be broke at the motor. Should there be some resistance in moving the door?? Just cant get to it YET !!! Any help ..And
plazsr how did you connect the cable to the door. Could you be more specific. I think that is the way to go..GM wants 8.6 hrs to replace if the can find a motor. Any idea on that to.
My door was flopping in the breeze. Nothing connected to it. Through the resister opening I opened the door and installed a garden hose shut off in the heater core supply hose. 3 years now and the only inconvenience is opening the clamshell to change from heat to cool. I will try to fix it eventually, now that I know how to disassemble the dash.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM
gene2661
Intermediate

And how is the dash lower right to be removed?? Do you have any idea where to purchase a ne actuator for a 87??
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Clark Bente
Instructor

Default 90 conv all heat all the time

Hi Pkazsr, I like your idea of shutting off the hot water into the heater core for summer. I didn't understand the method you described. Thru the register? I get the garden hose shutoff, but which hose and where did you install it?

Get notified of new replies

To One Cold Vette Again

Quick Reply: One Cold Vette Again