C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

92 courtesy lights flickering!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
vette'n
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 courtesy lights flickering!

Ok this is my problem, my courtesy lights have a mind of here own. While im driving or sometimes while shut off my interior lights will come on then off and then on for a while. Seems like a bad connection somewhere. I dont think it is the door switches because the door ajar light doesnt come on at all while this happens. I tried to fiddle with the interior light switch but that does no good. I have to pull the fuse some times to save the battery. Please help me out.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:56 PM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

I had the same problem...dang lights would come on going around corners, etc. I had a door switch that was out of adjustment (the little round piece on the end of the switch was broke off). Got a new switch and I was golden! Good luck! I do not recall the "door ajar" light coming on while this was happening.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Another place to look is the hatch. The little plunger switch gets broke really easily. Mine was cracked in half and did what you are saying here.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Raydarlove
Racer

Mine "did" the same thing. Flickering and ever once in a while the door ajar would briefly light up. Usually occurred over bumps and turning corners. It was getting pretty annoying.

After reading a thread on it on CF everyone seem to indicate it probably was the switch on the door. They also indicated it was a bit of a hassle to replace it. Mine seemed to work okay when I manually messed with it. But on the switch at the very end of the plunger is supposed to be a small button that's supposed to stick out. Mine was pushed down (or probably worn down). Most people suggested trying to pull the button back out. I tried but it would just push back into the plunger when you closed the door. Anyway, where this plunger strikes the door frame there is a small round plastic strike plate. Having nothing else I stuck one piece of round stick-um velcro on the plastic strike plate. I figured I could raise the height of the strike plate making the plunger push back into the switch more. Kinda making up for the missing button on the end of the plunger.

For a couple of months (daily/nightly driver) the interior lights have only flickered maybe once. I know it's not going to last and eventually I'll have to replace that door switch but it works for now. Might give it try.

Last edited by Raydarlove; 02-12-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 PM
TRace8893
Instructor

My '93 did that and worse. When my grandpa had it, he'd just drive to the post office, come back and find a dead battery. It was nothing but a pain to him for over 10 years.

So when my dad drove the short little drive to our house as the car was to be mine, he knew exactly what the problem was: the door switch. I get home and my dad shows me how he fixed the problem: a penny epoxied onto the passenger side door frame! I haven't had any lights flicker since or any dead batteries though.

Investigate the problem, I suggest just taping a penny where the switch hits to make sure you've found the one that's problematic and then replace or adjust the switches. Or do what my dad did...

The center console was also squished and bent and that also has a light switch in it and mine wasn't quite hitting right. We were able to fix that. Also, I believe the glove compartment has a switch in it too so it doesn't hurt to check that too.

Last edited by TRace8893; 02-12-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

where is the most affordable door jam switch and how much?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
vette'n
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THanks for the input. I have previously replaced the door switches at lease the front two. I do how ever have a bit of info for anybody else that has replaced there door switches and still has the problem. When i replaced mine and this was still occuring it was the darn plug that inserts into the back of the door switch that were not getting good contact. ANyway I have metered out my switches and my connections. I will however now check my hatch. I hope that will be the problem. Great Forum here keep up the good help!

Get notified of new replies

To 92 courtesy lights flickering!

Quick Reply: 92 courtesy lights flickering!