Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 03:58 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!!

Was going to get the car painted Yellow but due to costs and amount of labor involved, im getting a repaint for a good deal close or the same red I have now..my car has the bright red and that shade of red seems to fade to a strange hue over time.

Im thinking of getting Torch red but not sure yet.
I used to think torch red wasnt a good color for the 86 style with the black moldings until I seen it at a car show.
That looked pretty good!

Is there any other shades of red that could give the car a real exotic look aside from torch red?
(its got to stay no the bright side, no darks,metallics or candy colors)
Ive seen NSX red, Viper red, ferrari lipstick red, and most bright reds look almost the same...yet theres a difference depending on the shape of the car,model etc.
They seem to have a different tone in different lights.

If someone was able to photchop a C4 in different shades of red that would be great.

Basically I want the brightest,nicest red that will help the car stand out..but not sure if Torch red is what I need for that.
(im 99% decided on torch now though)
Any thoughts?
TIA.

Old 10-11-2001, 06:05 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (Bill's86Coupe)

Bill, I can't contribute much, but a funny story.

I have had a plastic flag on the back of my motorcycle(call me easyrider. :D) for the past two years. The red wasn't holding its hue very well and right around the beginning of September, I noticed that it no longer had ANY red in it at all. After the unfortunate events on the 11th, I decided I needed to get it done ASAP. So I made the resolution to repaint the red, but how? The girl I was courting at the time suggested finger nail polish, but she had no red. So a quick trip to Safeway followed, in which I was completely overwhelmed with the number of different red shades for sale.

At $2 an ounce, I didn't want to buy several to decide whick I like the best. After careful deliberation, and several weird looks from passers-by, I decided on two colors, one was Wet and Wild Red Red and the other was Wet and Wild Red Lava. Oh the humanity, I couldn't decide, I couldn't see a difference in the color, they were both the right color for the flag. I ended up getting the "red red" so as to save some face at the counter, where the check-out girl looked at me suspiciously and asked, "Would you like a bag?". My sheepish reply, "Yes please."

The problem with paint colors is that you really need to see it on a surface before you can decide if you really like it. The white on my car is "Performance White" What the heck color is performance? If they hadn't had a swatch of it, I probably would have gone with "Frost" White, which is what is on my motorcycle. The orange paint I recently purchased(never put it on the car) is entitled "Tangier Orange" which is the color on the Camaro SS stripes. Without a trip to central Africa, I don't think I would have been able to figure out what color Tangier was. ;)

More examples, the colors from bottom to top:

Beige
Carnival Yellow
GM Truck Yellow
Burnt Orange for Cessna
Red-Orange
Purple
Red-Blue

Good luck picking a color, sorry I wasn't more help.

[Modified by NoWorries, 3:50 AM 10/11/2001]
Old 10-11-2001, 06:47 AM
Danger Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (NoWorries)

Good illustration NoWorries,
The torch red is a fine color shouldn't be hard to get and looks great when polished up. They had a red from the late 80's that they put on the Lumina which I believe was called torch red but always seemed a bit brighter than what is on the Vette's today. I know you said no metallics but the magnetic red on the C5's is an awesome color and would really stand out with the black body moulding. Good luck on your decision.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:45 AM
Dave's_88
Instructor

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (Danger Dave)

Get the metallic red color...it's a darker red seen on the newer C5's. My roommate has this on his 2001. Looks nice with chrome wheels.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:33 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (Dave's_88)

On my IROC, I used the stock 86 GM Bright Red color, but I had them dump a bunch of orange mica into it. It hardly changed the color at all, but if you get real close, you can see a bunch of tiny orange speckles. It's pretty neet. :yesnod:
Old 10-11-2001, 01:31 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (Jim85IROC)

How about the red they use on the z3? It's very orange.

[Modified by Smash, 11:32 AM 10/11/2001]
Old 10-11-2001, 01:52 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (Smash)

It is code WA L 8774 on my friends IROC which would be the same code as my old color..the two seemed different. The IROC was Cherrier and Deeper where mine was a little sharper or brighter. Mine used to be Flame Red which I liked,but not as much as that IROC color. Lemme see if this'll work. THIS is a nice Red.

Old 10-11-2001, 02:10 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (JD 90 383)

Woa dude, what sort of induction is on that IROC? Do you have any more pics or info?
Old 10-11-2001, 02:19 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (Jim85IROC)

Both Dave's beat me to it....Magnetic Red is a knock-out color! :yesnod: I can picture it on an '86 and think that it would look great as well. :cool:
Old 10-11-2001, 02:41 PM
TrplBlk01
Safety Car

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (Bill's86Coupe)

There must be 50 differant reds. ;)
Old 10-11-2001, 02:43 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (blk91)

Viper red.

Ever see a red Viper next to a Torch Red Corvette? It makes the Corvette look orange.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:02 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (scorp508)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Noworries, you had me LOL about that story, and that riding lawn motor was the sheehit!
It gave me some ideas but its true one needs to see it on an actual car before going with it.

Magnetic red is a really nice red..however is not the shade im looking for.Im trying to stay as close to bright red or so without doing a major color change.
I admit it would prob look good on the older C4 style as well.

My red is the #8774 right now but on the brighter side then some other cars in that color.Or it just seems to be...however is too mild for my taste on a corvette.

I do like the Viper red...I did mention it earlier but didnt realize how much more orange it makes the torch red Vette looks.
Now that scorp mentioned it, I have seen a torch red ZR1 and a red viper parked next to each other at a show and the Viper red was more red then the orangy appearance of the red vette.Hmmm...

Ill go check the swatches out later and pick something along those lines.

Hey, would it be blasphemy to paint my car a Mopar red color?
Or any red GM didnt use?
:)

Car goes into the paint shop Novemeber 5th.
:D

Old 10-11-2001, 05:36 PM
cecil-1
Pro

How about Cherry Smash?
It's a three stage paint, With pearl white basecoat, Red die in the first clearcoat, And finally clear over that. Looks real deep.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:58 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Default Re: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!! (cecil-1)

Thanks to Scorp... I was going to say it.. Torch Red to me is too Orangey. If they made a CHERRIER Red, I'd get a Red C5. No thanks though.. I don't like the Pumpkiney tone it has(In certain light). I too have seen a Viper and Vette side by side and will give the nod to the Dodge tone.

Bill, I wish there was a way for you to see the IROC in person. It is GORGEOUS. For a stock color it is different than our Vette 8774 though it has the same WA number. Weird. Maybe GM had the mixer on some 8774's a tone darker/lighter/cherrier. Donno.

Good luck choosing! LOL factor the blue in,and this is what I went through last year. You'll make the right choice though.

Get notified of new replies

To What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!!

Quick Reply: What Shade of RED To get the car re-painted?Gimme ideas!!