C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Opti-spark preventative maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Rich's94vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opti-spark preventative maintenance

I got the front end of my LT1 apart to clean it. I'd like to complete preventative maintenance on the opti while I've got it off. Can I lube the bearing with a small needle and a syringe with High temp grease? Can I take the cover off and use silicane to seal from water incursion? Is there anything else I could do to increase its longevity?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:38 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Shriver
I got the front end of my LT1 apart to clean it. I'd like to complete preventative maintenance on the opti while I've got it off. Can I lube the bearing with a small needle and a syringe with High temp grease? Can I take the cover off and use silicane to seal from water incursion? Is there anything else I could do to increase its longevity?
If this is a Gen-1 Opti, I'd strongly recommend you just replace the thing now while you've got such great access to it. It'll never be easier. If it's a Gen-2, well, maybe try to seal it up with some RTV and hope for the best (but I think I'd just replace it anyway).

If it's a Gen-1, consider the DynaSpark or MSD as a replacement. The OEM units were always junk, and they still are.

If it's a Gen-2, the OEM unit is worth considering as a replacement. It's less expensive than the Gen-1 unit, and much improved.

Gen-1 = '92 - '94

Gen-2 = '95 - '96

Be well,

SJW
Old 03-13-2007, 06:03 PM
dman69here
Navigator

Gen 2's have the vaccum hose to keep it dry, the gen 1's didn't, that is the biggest reason that they are junk. Once the water seeps in it can't get out.

Depending on your mileage,

Since you have it all off anyway I would say replace the water pump and the Opti, if you have the $$$ and the time. Both OEM parts should run flawlessly past 150K miles but there are always suprises, and it sucks getting it all put back together only to have to tear it down again.

The MSD Opti worked well for my '94 Camaro, and It's not unheard of for the Gen 2 GM Opti to run well over 200K, Either one would be a good choice.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
moore299
Racer

I'm about in the same boat except I have a miss in the # 3 cylinder. I haven't tore it down yet. I was wondering, can you clean the Opti up and stop the miss or should I bite the bullet and put on a new one?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with a gen 1 Opti that can't be fixed with the gen 2 vacuum harness and about 10 minutes worth of work on the cap to add the fittings. They are otherwise identical except for the type of plug used on the wiring harness and the way they meet the cam.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Opti-Spark Options

How to make opti-sparks last longer and perform better

http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/optisprk/optisprk.htm
Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by scranage
There is nothing wrong with a gen 1 Opti that can't be fixed with the gen 2 vacuum harness and about 10 minutes worth of work on the cap to add the fittings. They are otherwise identical except for the type of plug used on the wiring harness and the way they meet the cam.
I did the vac hose mod on mine when I put the new one in. It has been great ever since. Not very hard to do either!

I do agree that you might want to spend the $ now while it is apart and have a nice new one in there! New coil too! Plugs...wires....

-R
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
If this is a Gen-1 Opti, I'd strongly recommend you just replace the thing now while you've got such great access to it. It'll never be easier. If it's a Gen-2, well, maybe try to seal it up with some RTV and hope for the best (but I think I'd just replace it anyway).

If it's a Gen-1, consider the DynaSpark or MSD as a replacement. The OEM units were always junk, and they still are.

If it's a Gen-2, the OEM unit is worth considering as a replacement. It's less expensive than the Gen-1 unit, and much improved.

Gen-1 = '92 - '94

Gen-2 = '95 - '96

Be well,

SJW
It sounds like your not real found of the opti-crap?

DyanSpark says they're both problematic............

"The opti-spark is an engineering marvel", yeah, right.

Thank God and poor realiablity it was short lived.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM
corvette1271
Racer

Default ...opti-spark...

....while you have that front end open on the engine....invest in a dynaspark......i really like mine....runs without any problems.....
Old 03-16-2007, 04:47 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by corvette1271
....while you have that front end open on the engine....invest in a dynaspark......i really like mine....runs without any problems.....
While you have it apart replace Opti, Water pump. Serpentine belt, plugs, and wires.

When I had my 92 apart it was a breeze to replace the plugs and wires.

Also consider replacing the tensioner for the serpentine. I didn't, so now its on my list of things to replace when I do my AC.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
While you have it apart replace Opti, Water pump. Serpentine belt, plugs, and wires.

When I had my 92 apart it was a breeze to replace the plugs and wires.

Also consider replacing the tensioner for the serpentine. I didn't, so now its on my list of things to replace when I do my AC.
And do the hoses, too...

Be well,

SJW
Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think GM got a wake-up call on this one when they underestimated the persistance of Corvette owners to wash the engine down. It turns out your otherwise inconspicuous common everyday garden hose is the natural enemy of the Optispark distributor. 95 and 96 received a pretty good defensive upgrade; they hooked it to the air duct and manifold vacuum which did a pretty good job of keeping it dry but some owners found a way around that by driving around with leaky water pumps while waiting for the opportunistic "round tuit." I installed a new Opti from GM while I had my car apart recently chasing oil leaks and disassembled the old one afterwards to see what all the commotion was about. It worked fine and looked good inside so it was just preventive maintenance I guess. Car is a 96 with 110K.

Get notified of new replies

To Opti-spark preventative maintenance

Quick Reply: Opti-spark preventative maintenance