This weekend's project was to try to get the 6-way seats on my 89 vert working. I was partially successful. In spite of my initial diagnosis, a known good seat track had the same problems, so I know it's in the switches (the wires were checked and they are all OK). I took the switch assembly out of the console and it seemed like there were three switch modules plugged into a rubber holder that had the wiring attached. The end paddle switches are both stuck into this rubber holder by one post each, and no matter what I tried, I could not get them out. It looked like once I got the end ones out, the middle joystick switch would come out as well. Does anyone know the trick? With the high cost of replacement switches, I would really like to try re-building mine first.
Since I couldn't get the switches out to clean and re-condition the contacts, I sprayed TV contact cleaner inside, worked the switches, then sprayed in compressed air. Repeated a couple of more times. This got the front-back control working, which was the most important goal (according to my 5'10" wife; her 6'3" husband doesn't see the need to move the seat forward ).
You might be better off searching the used Vette parts vendors for a used switch. I picked up left and right switches from eBay for $50 to install into my 85 so I can have driver and passenger power seats. I've seen used switches all the time for under $40.
1985 Bright Red Corvette Auto w/Z51
1985 Trans Am Auto w/LB9 & WS6
2004 Saturn VUE FWD w/5spd
2013 Honda Civic LX
You, sir, are a genius!!! I had exactly the same problem with the forward and reverse seat switch and was not looking forward to spending the time to remove half the interior just to get at the seat switch. I tried your solution of spraying the TV Tuner Cleaner into the switch without removing it and, whalla, the seat switch worked.
I'm having a similar problem, sort of... I can only move the driver set around and the lumbar supports only work on the passenger seat. Will try the TV tuner and see if that fixes both switches, or it's tear down time to try and repair...