C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A-Pillar Weatherstrip install ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM
91quasarblue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A-Pillar Weatherstrip install ?

Hello I was wondering where you put the glue for the A- Pillar W/S. I noticed when I took the old W/S off it was on the 2 top corners and 2 bottom corners, Also it seemed like the 2 sides, the glue was in the bottom channels, and up top maybe about every 8-10". Does this sound right or am I missing something? I would like to say I bought the W/S from Wilcox ($80) cleaned up the channels etc. and tried to fit it without the glue seems like a very good product. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive black, much better than the regular 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by rspreng86
I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive black, much better than the regular 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

Do a 1/8 inch bead in the channel, and then in the corners give it a nice coat and down on the bottom, apply it to the actual weatherstrip and then press it on. Put a folded up towel in the door jam when you close it to ensure it forms and sticks. Let dry.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

When I did mine, I didn't use any glue. I used 3M Bedding and Glazing compound on the corners, but no glue in the channels.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:31 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by skybolt31
When I did mine, I didn't use any glue. I used 3M Bedding and Glazing compound on the corners, but no glue in the channels.
same here
Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

With all new weatherstrips for any car!

Make sure to clean each and every section of the weatherstrip that is to be bonded, with either a reducer or rubber cleaner. The mold release will be present on the weatherstrip which will prevent the glue from holding.

Once this is done, you want to treat the weatherstrip the same way you would use contact cement only with the 3M glue.

Spread a tiny thin coat on the back of the weatherstrip, and then do the same on the area to be bonded. Once both are dry, apply a thin coat and install the weatherstrip! The thin coat will glue the weatherstrip down so good you won’t have to worry about it coming off the car. “BEWARE” Make sure you have it where you need it, once glued you will destroy it if it’s in the wrong place.

Willcox Inc.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
91quasarblue
Instructor

Thanks everyone the W/S is in came out very good.Also thanks to Willcox great W/S and will be ordering the rear roof W/S.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Crit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got my weatherstrip kit and everything looks great, but I'm having trouble with the old weatherstrip. On the passenger's side, the A-pillar, B-pillar, and windshield header are extremely dry-rotted. I've been able to pull most of the driver's side stripping up pretty cleanly, but the passenger's side has just disintegrated.

Do you guys go back with a thin chisel or something and dig out all the glue and weatherstrip out, is it okay to leave a few little remnants in there, or what?

Regarding the installation, I laid my b-pillar weatherstrip across the car, and it's perhaps an inch short across the top, which easily comes out when you give it just a little stretch and pull it tight. When you're putting it on, though, and can't reposition it as you go, is there a good way to get the tension right as you move across the car? I'd hate to find out that I've got some slack in one corner because I've pulled too tightly.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:53 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Crit
I've got my weatherstrip kit and everything looks great, but I'm having trouble with the old weatherstrip. On the passenger's side, the A-pillar, B-pillar, and windshield header are extremely dry-rotted. I've been able to pull most of the driver's side stripping up pretty cleanly, but the passenger's side has just disintegrated.

Do you guys go back with a thin chisel or something and dig out all the glue and weatherstrip out, is it okay to leave a few little remnants in there, or what?

Regarding the installation, I laid my b-pillar weatherstrip across the car, and it's perhaps an inch short across the top, which easily comes out when you give it just a little stretch and pull it tight. When you're putting it on, though, and can't reposition it as you go, is there a good way to get the tension right as you move across the car? I'd hate to find out that I've got some slack in one corner because I've pulled too tightly.
I would really try to get all the glue out of the channels. Chisel (used as a srcaper) is fine, but try not to gouge the metal and be sure to re-prime and paint the channel to keep it from rusting in the future. I removed my channels, bead blasted them then completely repainted them.

As far as installation of the A pillar weatherstrip goes I dry fit the metal channel (loosely screwed onto the A pillar frames) then loosely fit the weatherstrip to the frame. I figure out what the ideal positioning is for the metal frames, mark them, then install them permanently with the recommended adhesive. Then I loosely fit the A pillar weatherstrip to the metal frames/across the top of the windshield, figure out the center point (above the rear view mirror) and mark the frame and the weatherstrip. When I install the weatherstrip I start at the center than work out towards the corners then down the A pillars. This helps maintain uniformity and insure you don't end up with slack at one end or the other.

Also, let the weatherstrip sit in the sun for a while to warm up. This will make it more pliable and easier to install

EDIT: I always remove the metal weatherstrip retainers to replace the sealer behind it, to completely clean them and to achieve ideal fitment as mentioned above. It's not completely necessary but leaks do develop between the weathertstip channels and the car body that will not be fixed with weatherstrip replacement alone. You have to decide for yourself if you want to go that far or not. If you choose not to remove the weatherstrip channels start at the point where you locate the center of the weatherstrip above the rear view mirror and go from there.

hope this helps,

Last edited by VtVette; 07-07-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with VTvette, get all the old WS out, I made my own scrapers out of some old pieces of sheet metal. With some tin snipes and pliers, you can fashion them to just what you need.

I also agree that replacing the WS won't fix the leak if it is leaking between the WS retainer and the windshield frame. Like him, I removed mine and repainted. I used 3M bedding and glazing compound between the WS retainers and the frame and at the corners. I didn't use any glue to hold the WS in, so it was no big deal to position it and remove it if it wasn't positioned right. So far, no leaks..............
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
91quasarblue
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crit

I used a hairdryer and 3m 8984 adhesive remover to help remove the old W/S it worked fine,then when the W/S was out I put the remover on any old stuff in the channel and used a small steel ice pick and very gently cleaned the channels out.When I put the new W/S in I used a 2" plastic scraper to tuck the rubber in the channel went in alot easier then I thought.Try to clean it all out the new W/S will go in easier.

Last edited by 91quasarblue; 07-09-2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: add some more

Get notified of new replies

To A-Pillar Weatherstrip install ?

Quick Reply: A-Pillar Weatherstrip install ?