Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I'm getting impatient - please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 AM
LT1Vet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting impatient - please help me!

Well, I am a relatively new vette owner but have to say i've been through the ringer. I haven't shared any of my problems thus far as they all seem to be found by using the search function. This time, instead of throwing more money at this problem i'd like your advice. Here is my story!

About 8 weeks ago I bought my first vette. Black '95 LT1, looked great and was the exact model/color I was looking for. The day I bought it on my commute home (I work in Austin, TX and live right outside of San Antonio, TX) the car died in the middle of Friday traffic about 10 miles into my 70 mile commute. At that point, my wife was behind me as she rode w/ me to pick it up so at least I wasn't alone! It took the tow truck 2 + hours to show and they towed it to a local shop in Austin. I'm not from Austin so my new prize was in the hands of somone that I didn't know.... it turned out to be the fuel pump, so I had them replace it $$$$$$.

2 weeks later, the ermengency brake goes out right before i was going to get it inspected. A bit annoying but I had if fixed $$$$$$. I returned to get it inspected and the hood latch got stuck - again, couldn't get it inspected. Remember, i'm only 3 weeks in so i'm still a trooper. I bought the hood gadget to open it and spent 2 weekends and plenty of beer trying to make it work - no luck. Gave up, and again had it fixed $$$$$.

A couple of weeks later (and after I fiinally got it inspected ) it started blowing smoke from the engine once I got it on the highway. Also smelled like oil so I took it in again and had a seal replaced $$$$$$.

A good three weeks went by and I really enjoyed the car - no problems!

Today I ran out of gas. The gas gauge is apparently off, it was reading 80 + miles in range and there i was stranded. I added 5 gallons and it turns on runs for 10 seconds and dies.

I'm a bit frustrated and would really appreciate any advice you may have on what may be causing this. I told myself that I wouldn't mind sinking some money into the car when i got it but its turning into a real money pit very quickly. Any clue what is causing this? I'm glad to share any further details you need in order to help.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:18 AM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did by chance they replace the fuel filter when they did the fuel pump?
The fuel filter is located under the car up by the frame of the car-passenger side. That is where mine is located on my '88.
Maybe when you ran out of gas it sucked up some crud and clogged the fuel filter?
It is cheap to buy and you can do that one yourself.
I'd replace that and then go from there.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here from others too.

Hope you get her running right soon so you can cruise and enjoy!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im thinking fuel filter too but its better to figure out the problem first than to just through parts at it. check fuel pressure at the rail & check for codes:
http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/codes.htm
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I will break this to you gently.

There are two main rules to Corvette ownership:

1. They are expensive.

2. The gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

With that said, the best investment you can make is in a copy of the Helm Factory Service Manual. Check www.helm.com or ebay for a used copy.

From what I have read, you are still ok. the problems have been annoying, but minor. And hard to predict, really. It's impossible to know when a seal is going to blow or a fuel pump decides to die...

In short, suck it up, fix it and keep driving. You will find more problems... just accept these are not Monte Carlo's. They are much more complex and as such, more expensive. And then there is Corvette Tax. As soon as a shop sees you coming, they see $$$ signs. Lots of them.

Get the manual, buy tools and get working on this car.

The other rule:

To afford a corvette you either have to have deep pockets, or a good tool kit.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 AM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd get the factory service manual, Haynes manual, Chiltons and everything else you can find!

Once you start working on it and fixing things yourself you'll get great satisfaction from knowing the job was done right and you diagnosed the problem and fixed it yourself.

I don't fix everything myself and have got boned good by the dealership on more than one occasion but that is the nature of the beast!

Good luck and hang in there!

Last edited by davidnclearlaketx; 07-30-2007 at 01:43 AM. Reason: x
Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

If you ran it out of gas, you may have clogged the fuel filter. I would have it changed. As for the gas gauge being off, that is no suprise. Just about every C4 I know of has this problem, to a greater or lessor degree. Good rule of thumb is to fill up at a 1/4 tank, then no problems.

Good luck !
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one said this, but your gas gauge may be acccurate. You may still have had 80 miles of gas left. It is possible that the new fuel pump went out on you. If it did, then the gas gauge is probably accurate. The easiest thing to do first, like mentioned is change your fuel filter.

Also, you should try not to run down your car to the point when you're near empty. This causes all the crud in the tank to plug the fuel filter a lot faster than it normally would have. If you fill your tank when it has at least 3-4 gallons or more, you won't foul the filter quickly. Filling your tank when it reads "80 miles left" (or something like that), is perfectly fine. I wouldn't want to go much lower though.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have to say this, so don't take it wrong.
The gas gauge will never read "80 miles left". That would be the fuel mpg computer doing that calculation. Keep in mind, it gets this number from the "instant" miles per gallon. In other words, you might have had 80 miles left going down a hill. But as you start up a hill, or even accelerate in traffic, watch that number go down really fast.

I would go by the actual gas gauge, and when it gets down close to the quarter tank mark, buy gas! Ideally, you should always keep your take between half and full. It does not cost any more money to keep it full than it does to run it on empty all the time

As others have said, the car is 13 years old now so there are going to be things happen that need to be replaced or fixed. It's a used car. The thing is, most people don't keep a regular car that long so they are not used to dealing with these issues. But what you have experienced so far would not be any different with any other 13 year old car.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 AM
JamesRS
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnclearlaketx
Did by chance they replace the fuel filter when they did the fuel pump?
The fuel filter is located under the car up by the frame of the car-passenger side. That is where mine is located on my '88.
Maybe when you ran out of gas it sucked up some crud and clogged the fuel filter?
It is cheap to buy and you can do that one yourself.
I'd replace that and then go from there.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here from others too.

Hope you get her running right soon so you can cruise and enjoy!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not much to add except stress the importance of the tech manuals. I'll wager you could have saved the price of a Helms doing the fuel pump alone.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 AM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

One more thing about keeping your fuel level up is, the pump motor is actually cooled by the fuel in the tank. If you run it down low the fuel pump can get hot and fail....maybe your case? I haven't heard of one failing so quick from this but I guess anything is possible.

Don't get down about the issues you have had, most are common annoyances and once you get them figured out you'll have a car that is a real kick to drive.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:00 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

welcome to corvette ownership.

The best next investment is to get some service manuals; Helms, chilton, etc. One repair job will be work the manuals cost and there is also a sense of self satisfaction.

I would suggest you drain the fuel tank and put in a new fuel filter. You may have to change it more than once, depending on how much crud is in the tank. A fuel filter is similiar to a lint catcher in a dryer, initially alot of lint gets caught, clogging the catcher, then the next time a little less, etc., etc.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
LT1Vet
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to change the fuel filter this weekend and order a manual today.

I bought the car to work but really have to say I've been intimidated thus far. I'm no mechanic, but hey I can learn.

Thanks again, as always you guys are great.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

Originally Posted by LT1Vet
I bought the car to work but really have to say I've been intimidated thus far.
I have done my fair share of working on cars but I have to agree here.
First time I popped the hood and really looked at the motor I was intimidated- think it was the Corvette thing! ALways wanted one!
Then I settled down and decided that I haven't found a car yet that I can't break as good as a mechanic so I went out and got some more tools
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're willing to learn and are employed, then you'll be fine.

It's more likely still a fuel issue than something completely new popping up.

The fuel pump will prime the system when you turn the key on, this probably gives it enough fuel to run for 10 seconds. After this, the fuel pump needs to get a signal from the ECM to stay running, or power from the oil pressure switch.

Think of the time spent working on it, and money spent on tools as an investment. Every bit you put towards that makes you less dependent on an expensive, possibly incompetent mechanic.

Buy a fuel pressure guage for ~$50 that will thread onto the AN fitting on the fuel rail. Preferrably with a long hose so you can tape it to the windshield if needed for driving tests. See if the fuel pressure drops right before it stalls.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
finally_got_it
Racer

Default keep your chin up

i bought my first vette on july 4th..same car as yours black/black 95 lt1..while it runs great and is in good shape this weekend (right after i dumped 1100 for wheels and tires) the water pump went to hell...but i have torn it out and have another on order..while i have that torn out im replacing the plugs and wires and replacing serp belt(oh the joy of changing plugs! ) so far so good and no expensive shop bill!!! now if i can get everything back together Part of owning a vette is a passion for the cars! Keep your chin up it will work out!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually start off the year with a budget of about $2000 or so for parts only for both corvettes.

I have NEVER come in under budget. NEVER.

See if you can get the wife to pick up a part time job.....

Get notified of new replies

To I'm getting impatient - please help me!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Eyeguy77
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT1Vet
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to change the fuel filter this weekend and order a manual today.

I bought the car to work but really have to say I've been intimidated thus far. I'm no mechanic, but hey I can learn.

Thanks again, as always you guys are great.
I was in the same boat. When I bought the Vette I had never even changed the oil in a car before. Since buying the Helms manual I have done the fuel filter(although for $40 it is a job I'd rather bring the car to the shop) and the fuel injectors. Fuel injectors looked intimidating but were fairly easy. Just find a free weekend and a 6 pack and go to work on it.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Everyone one has given you sound advise. Keep in mind your baby is 12 years old going on 13 rapidly. If she sat around a while these things happen. Its real frustrating when you know nothing about the car and what work has been previously done. im betting your talking about the original fuel pump here so if the filter is not changed once in a while the fuel pump strains and this is the end result. Im sure once you get on board of the normal maintenance items you will be ok. Dont forget the belt and the radiator. Make sure those are in order as well. Enjoy your ride.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:19 PM
vettowner1994
Instructor

Its a shame that owning a Vett also means owning 3 repair manuals. Especially low mileage ones. But, its just that way. I am on my second Vett so I am not new to this. If your going to build an expensive sports car then it should be built that way, to last and be reliable. I love vetts, but being an honest type of guy I would tell anybody that they are fast, beautiful to look at and a pleasure to drive but built pretty cheap and a lot of the componenets were not built to last. From other owners I have talked to I don't think I am alone in these thoughts. Its a great hobby and you learn how to be a mechanic at the same time. It don't get no better then that! Ha.

Quick Reply: I'm getting impatient - please help me!