C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dim Digital Dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 PM
jetmech09
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dim Digital Dash

I have noticed recently that the black numbers on my 93 vette, center digital cluster are going dim. whats the fix?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

There are four light blubs that reside behind your cluster that allow for a backlight of your digital cluster.

Each of these four lamps lamp slide into a socket that goes through two sandwiched cluster circuit boards.

These sockets are the turn and stop type and relys on contact of the lamp socket ears to make a connection to copper pathways that make up the cluster circuit boards.

Apparently those four lamps get real hot overr time and then they tend to foul the connection of those socket ears causing poor contact in the circuitry. End result can be intermittent or poor electrical connections which can cause the LCD backlight to either go dim or out completely.

A solution I have heard is to use electrical contact cleaner to clean the oxidation off of those socket ears or you need to replace those sockets. End result contact is restored and the circle of LCD life is complete.

Give this a try. Goldcylon
Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 AM
DisasterDave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have to elaborate on this one a little more. Not quite sure what you mean by the "black" numbers. Giev us some more details, is everything going more dim or just these numbers?

DD
Old 08-10-2007, 06:43 PM
jetmech09
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the problem is the actual black digits, not the backlight, sorry for the bad info.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech09
the problem is the actual black digits, not the backlight, sorry for the bad info.
Google a search on Sunburn of LCD digits this usually occurs when the lcd area goes all black but missing of digits is an early symptom as well. Dont remember the fix but I do remember the symptom. On Evilbay under auction number 330153249043 is a service that fixes the atari style pre 90 dashes. I would shoot them off an email as they appear to have a market niche. Just an idea

Last edited by Goldcylon; 08-10-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
phat87
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Default maybe this will help

I found a site called www.corvettedashcluster.com they may have some ideas for you. I know they rebuild them.

Phatty

Get notified of new replies

To Dim Digital Dash

Quick Reply: Dim Digital Dash