Kelly Blue Book values

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:03 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Kelly Blue Book values

How close is the KBB values for C4's?

Currently I own a '69 convertible which sits in the garage most of the time. I'm looking to buy a C4 for a summer daily driver.

I looked at a '90 Coupe, 78,500 miles, manual trans, very nice shape. The dealer wants $12,999. KBB says it's worth $9695. Who should I believe?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From my experience looking around, book values are somewhat low for C4's. But a 90 shouldnt be $13k, especially with 80k miles. I'd say a little under $11 is a fair price. Check out the C4-for-sale section to gauge some relative deals also.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:19 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

It's at a dealer.
They'll ask some rediculous price, and there's usually a lot of wiggle room.

Is the price you listed for KBB the "expect to pay a dealer" price, or the "retail" price from a private owner.

KBB usually offers 3 prices, in 3 ranges ; excellent,fair,poor.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by touringmike
It's at a dealer.
They'll ask some rediculous price, and there's usually a lot of wiggle room.

Is the price you listed for KBB the "expect to pay a dealer" price, or the "retail" price from a private owner.

KBB usually offers 3 prices, in 3 ranges ; excellent,fair,poor.
I realize there's wiggle room, but $3300 is a lot of wiggle.

It's the retail price in excellent condition, which is what you would expect to pay at a dealer. The other two is "trade in" and "private party value".
Old 09-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I use autotrader as a decent gauge to see what cars are going for.

As far as that 90, I think 13 is high. The 6 speed is a bit more desireable by most, but still, not that much. Around me I'd say anywhere from high 8's to low 10's from a private party depending on condition, you will usually pay more at the dealer. Not sure where you are at exactly, so region affects prices slightly. If you keep looking, you can find a deal. Also depends on years and what options you want, ie if you like the digidash and older body style, newer body style, etc.

Good luck with your search.

Matthew

PS - I just checked and found a 90 with a 6 speed, zr1 chrome rims, flowmasters, stored winters, 79,000 miles on autotrader for $9,995 just to give you an idea.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 PM
thebeerman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal experience with Kelly is that it has always been high. If you are working with dealers, they will always reference the NADA blue, which is a compilation of all the selling prices quoted, so the numbers for averages are much higher and more reliable. I have found Kelly to be high by several thousand dollars in several different regions of the country. By the way, check the NADA at your local library which subscribes to the book, they have the column "trade-in" which shows the maximum a dealer will pay. The local bookstores don't have that important piece of info if shopping the dealer networks.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

My 90 is probably worth 20 or 30 thousand dollars.(kidding). I think a real clean one should go for about 9k to 10k like what you mentioned unless it was a pristine garage queen. Then it would be whatever the market would bear. Go look at the prices in Edmunds. Take that to the dealer and negotiate.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a ripoff for an L98. They're capitalizing on the Corvette name and inflating the price to whatever they want. Unless it's already in showroom condition it is not worth 10k, much less 13k. Shop around and you will find an LT4 for the same price, same mileage, same condition. I got my LT4 for quite a bit less than that at a dealer, and it wasn't in terrible shape.

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 09-21-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
That is a ripoff for an L98. They're capitalizing on the Corvette name and inflating the price to whatever they want. .
Of course they are. It's a business.

When I bought my wife's van 3 years ago, I received a price over the internet before I went in to buy it.

When I went to sign, I told them I also had a 10 y/o van I'd like to trade.
They ran a KBB search on the van, printed it out, gave it to me to view it, and gave me the exact price KBB listed as a trade-in value.
I was OK with it.

What I have noticed about pricing a car on KBB that's sold by a dealer, is that KBBs price is just a ball-park figure, even though they state it as average. Looking for a commuter car for my daughter to go to school with, we looked at the same brand vehicle at 3 different dealers; 2 were below the KBB price, and 1 was above it, by 30%.
We bought the more expensive one, but only paid 10% above the KBB price.

Last edited by mikeb; 09-21-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Greg0u812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thebeerman
............By the way, check the NADA at your local library which subscribes to the book.............
You can also do NADA's dot com site on the net.

I agree with previous posters that 13 may be a little high for a '90.

Something else to look at is doing an advanced search for completed listings on Ebay and seeing what these cars actually sell to the general public for.

BTW.......just did a lookup at NADA and HIGH reatail (ie......exceptional shape) is $11,500.

Last edited by Greg0u812; 09-21-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:29 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thebeerman
My personal experience with Kelly is that it has always been high. If you are working with dealers, they will always reference the NADA blue, which is a compilation of all the selling prices quoted, so the numbers for averages are much higher and more reliable. I have found Kelly to be high by several thousand dollars in several different regions of the country. By the way, check the NADA at your local library which subscribes to the book, they have the column "trade-in" which shows the maximum a dealer will pay. The local bookstores don't have that important piece of info if shopping the dealer networks.
I've been using NADA, KBB & Edmunds for over 4 years as a guide to C4 market prices, both retail and private. The prices, highest to lowest, have always been NADA-KBB-Ed. NADA is the National Automobile Dealers Association and it makes perfect sense why they are always the highest listings-it's in the interest of their members to publish the highest prices they think they can without everyone splitting a gut . IMNSHO, they are an unqualified joke. It's been my experience that KBB has the closest prices to "what they actually sell for" over the other two. Ed is always the lowest and almost a joke in the other direction. If you buy a C4 from a dealer, you will pay $2-4000 over what the same car would sell for from a private owner and it's been my experience that dealers don't "deal"-they'll wait for an idiot or wholesale it to another dealer. If you actually find a car that's higher on KBB than NADA, please send me the details or send me some of that beer you're drinking!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

Ok folks,here's the deal,I use to work for a GM dealership,and my motherinlaw works for a bank making car loans.There isn't one,and only one, Kelly blue book,or any other.There are many Kelly books issued to ,one dealerships,two,used car dealers,three,banks,four,insurance companies,five,salvage yards,and six every different part of the country.Everyone of them has different rates of what a car is worth.If you don't believe me,so be it.When you go on line to Kelly,and type in all your info,that dosn't mean squat.

Last edited by GIMMESOME; 09-22-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Valeriea
2nd Gear

Default There are deals out there!

I just bought my first Vette in July. Picked it up for $2000.00 Brought it to a Chevy Dealer who dropped a rebuilt Jasper in it and a few other goodies. I now have $6200.00 invested in it and LOVE IT! This winter she will get a new paint job. Keep looking there are some Good buys out there for those who truly appreciate a Vette! Good Luck
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, I decided to walk away from that one. I'll keep looking.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
malc
Instructor

Default Price is too high.

I paid 13k for a 90 convertible, semi-garage queen, 40k miles, hardtop, and the guy had just put in $2k on new injectors, and other work. The engine compartment looks like new. (New York region)

Other than a few buff marks, the original paint is in very nice condition.

I would expect to get a targa in same condition for about 3k less.

I looked at a 25k mile targa that was a garage queen for about 12k, but I could not fit in it cause I am 6'5".

Keep looking, and check CraigsList every hour or so.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by bashcraft

Currently I own a '69 convertible which sits in the garage most of the time. I'm looking to buy a C4 for a summer daily driver.

What a Great idea! That's what I was thinking when I paid $6100 for my '88 Z52 auto Coupe 3 years ago (February) with 86k miles.

Best $6k I ever spent. 22mpg average, and tons of fun. Nothing sticks to the road like a C4.

I'd wait another 2 months so winter-time prices are in full swing. Could easily save you $1500 or more.

Keep us posted.
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Thanks guys, I decided to walk away from that one. I'll keep looking.
Dealerships always start high and settle for less. Don't let the $3k price difference scare you off.

Offer what you're willing to pay and see what happens. You might find that increasing oil prices (gasoline) and lowering demand for (perceived) low mpg cars might "encourage" the dealership to come your way. They also know winter is coming and the demand drops with it. You might not "win" the car this week, but maybe it will end up being yours before you find a better option. You can't win if you don't play....

People are starting to think about traction, FWD, and SUVs this time of year. You're buying competition isn't that big.

gp

Get notified of new replies

To Kelly Blue Book values

Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have been watching KBB prices for C4's for a few years and comparing them to the Price Guides in the Corvette magazines. KBB always seems to be a lot lower regardless of the catagory (retail, private party, etc.)
Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Shello
Advanced

I had a 92 recently deceased by flood water in April this year it had 92K and was in really awesome shape- Ins Co paid me $14,800.00 for it- I looked everywhere for a repalcement for the 92 couldn't find one decided in July to look for a 95 or 96- found this Collector Edition with 57K miles from an individual got a smokin deal at $17,500.00...so there are bargains you just gotta keep looking! I love my new baby!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:12 PM
patsfan
Drifting

Location: Swanton VT 2000 Navy Blue Mettalic M6 / 1991 Auto - Steel Blue 68,500 R.I.P

Here's one in your state for a bit less then he wanted and its a LT4 to boot

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1810000

Quick Reply: Kelly Blue Book values