C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

84 Z51, What's the Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
FolkEngineer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Z51, What's the Deal?

Ok, I've heard a whole lot of specs quoted about the 84 Z51 Corvette. 1.05g on the skidpad (with non-stock camber and a few other tricks), crazy onroad handling (I think it came stock with .95g on the skidpad), apparently PUNISHING ride, it sounds like quite a beast. I know the HP isn't necessarily there, but it seemed to be a real sports car from all that I've read of it, handling much better than its early C4 siblings.

What do those of you who have driven one have to say to this? Was the ride as hard as they say? Could they really do all that was claimed of them, as far as handling? I'm interested to know just how harsh these things are to ride in, my first vehicle was a late 70s Chevy truck so I think I have a handle on harsh. Was it rough riding for a truck even, or just by the cushy Motor Trend car-guys standards of rough?

Thanks all.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO a '84 Z51 rocks. I had one and really miss the ride. To me it felt like a real sportscar. In real world conditions (on public roads) it's probably a bit over sprung but who cares it felt great to me. I have a base non Z51 '85 right now and after owning a '84 Z51 it feels very soft. I'm going to get a set of '84 Z51 springs to install this spring after the car comes out of storage.

I'd definitely drive one before buying one. Some people like me love them and others hate the ride. To each their own.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 PM
FolkEngineer
Heel & Toe

I'm glad to see someone not call it "too tough" for a change. Seems like no one in the press liked this thing, but they're too used to A4s and such. and I trust em as far as I can throw em.

Thanks VtVette, the thought of one had crossed my mind. When you've driven a large 4WD with shot springs, you understand what harsh truly means. This Z51 might be just brawny enough for my tastes, hehehehe.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still looking for an '84 Z51 to turn into a race car. With more power it would be unstoppable.

BTW: '85-'87 arent too bad either.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:42 PM
FolkEngineer
Heel & Toe

Ah, so this thing is seeming more like a real Corvette guy's Corvette now, I get it. Ever heard of any engine swaps in these things, or do most just tune the L98s? (I'm just brainstorming here, 84 Z51 plus LT1 with the LT4 treatment plus six speed equals giantkiller).
Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 AM
5speedC4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are fun cars to drive.

I test drove one and then a 1992.

The older one was more fun.

That why I ended up getting an early C4.

Most people just hot rod the L98.

But I don't think the 84 had an L98. It was some other engine that you could hot rod about as well I guess.

Many will tell you to buy the Lt1 car, its cheaper than adding an extra 50 horses to the L98.

I like the style of the early car better.

Last edited by 5speedC4; 11-13-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is completely different from my '93 and also my Dad's base '84. I'm turning my '84 Z51 into a track car.

The steering is quick (13:1), it won't sway if you try and on the wrong roads my head hits the targa.

This car requires your full attention. I wouldn't have it any other way. It does compromise comfort for performance but I believe a sports car should. Some cars can do what the '84 can without the drama. This drama adds to the fun.

Here's my car:

Ignore the tape. I'll install the body soon. She's rough right now but I love this project.

Last edited by Raysur; 11-13-2007 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 AM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

I love my 84. Drove it from Houston to Richmond for the Vette Nats last year. On to D.C. ,then home. It's drag raced and auto-x'd. i've put over 20k on it myself. It's a Z-51 car and the ride/handling combo is what I wanted. The press loved it initially then panned it later. They forgot to mention you could order the base suspension if ya didn't want the ride-it was built to be the ultimate and it was. A few bolt ons and the CFi can run low 14's with ease, without any major changes. Mild cam and heads and a CFI car can get well into the 13's. Lotsa midrange and torque right off idle, and better handling than the later models if ya don't mind the firmer ride-i don't.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:46 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

'85 had slightly softer spring rates but a bigger sway bar. Still a pretty harsh ride though. I don't think it's unmanageable, just don't expect it to be a Cadillac. The biggest problem with the '84 is that it's a Crossfire, not a TPI. Nothing wrong with it, just different.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

z-51 cars are awesome....the 84 was really hard (although i never rode in one) my 85 is a z51...apparently 25% softer...but it still hugs the rode and you feel every pebble....just the way i like it!

you can rip these cars through corners all day long...and its controllable...it lets go very predictably...although understeer is scary at the limits!

it might be easier to upgrade the 85-87 suspension to match the 84, while doing small mods to the L98 motor...as opposed to going with an 84 and making the crossfire a big horsepower car. nothing wrong with the 84's just....different.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
nferr
Racer

I have an 84 Z51. The ride is hard and harsh no question about it. On smooth roads it's great. Get on a bumpy frost heaved road and it's gonna crash and dance around. The rear tires will lose traction if you're cornering on a bumpy turn.

But it's great fun - reminds me a bit of the old MGB's - but with a lot more power. This car just feels like a Corvette - no fancy ABS, traction control or stability control. It rips and roars, corners on a dime. It just feels like a real sports car to me.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I presently own a 84 Z51 with new suspension components including the Besintine shocks. The car does ride hard , but so do all Corvettes from 53 up until the late 80s.The car is an excellent handler, but make sure your rubber is good as the Z51 will bite you in the A_ _ if your not careful. Im learning not to push it to its limits unless Im on a track. I have learned exit ramps are not a good place to experment.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 772 Likes on 554 Posts

I've owned my '84 Z-51 for almost 20 years. I love the suspension. My only complaint about the car was the poor brakes, and the poochy engine (Remedied! Check avatar ).
Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default Z-51

I have an 86, but I put the sway bars on it from an 84 Z-51.
Wow what a difference. I used polyeurethane bushings, and you only think it, and you have already changed lanes, turned, avoided a dip in the road, etc.
I think I have the best of both worlds, a vette that handles, and a softer than harsh ride.
It still slams the ruts though. With the plastic interior, there is a lot more noise than if it were a softer rider.
I have a 2001 C5 M6, and I drive it way different. The 86, you can do stop lights, hairy corners, and the like, and you know it will be just the same after the maneuver.. The C5 just floats along, and there's much less road feel..........besides, it being a $48,000 car, I just cringe at thrashing it. I still go fast in it, but I call the C5 the little gray car, and with my grand daughter, we call the 86 Grandad's racecar. The 86 is noisy, rough ride, smells a little like an old car, she's 4, and she cinches the seatbelt down tight like I showed her, and she says ok, Grandad, i'm ready, let's go fast.
My biggest fear was being stopped by the highway patrol, and getting arrested for child abuse from going around corners so fast that I got her a helmet. It's great fun. We both wear helmets, and zig-zag through traffic and burn rubber from stop lights. It's stupid fun, but she loves it, and we get lots of shocked looks from other drivers.
I'm thinking of getting some easily removeable stickers, and putting a number on the doors and hood, and go through traffic like that.
Sorry, I'm just having fun with the 86.........still.
We get in the C5, and she says it's not the same grandad...
Old 11-13-2007, 07:13 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

A week after I gots my "84" ( Z-52 ) I took da Wifey for her first ride. Over the Captree Bridge there's a Water tower with a decent size traffic circle around it. One Sat. morning about 05:30 HRS. with "ZERO" traffic - no one was on the road. I went into the circle as quick as I could, tires screaming - Wifey screaming " MY COFFEE - MY COFFEE -- SLOW DOWN -- YOU F***IN JERK -- MY COFFEE" I looked at her -- her head was pined to the door glass -- coffee all over the door panel. I was laughing so hard I had to slow down. If that wasn't a 1-G it was dam close. She doesn't like da vette .
Mission accomplished

Last edited by RICEKILA; 11-15-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:20 PM
FolkEngineer
Heel & Toe

Well, you guys have convinced me to stay in the 84-87 year range in my search, happy?

So if the 85 had a bigger sway bar, has anyone put that onto an 84 Z51? Just curious, seems like a great track car recipe.

I know getting an LT1 would be cheaper than modding the Crossfire, although I might get by cheaper by getting a shot-motor 84 and swapping for an LT1. That's a pipedream though, I'd prefer to buy a working car.

I've read a few posts saying that the later 80s cars had harder front springrates (89, I think). What've you guys found out about hybridizing the suspension stuff. Any mean combinations to suggest?

I've drove two MGs and a few other older sportscars, and they seem to be described similarly to this in handling. You feel like you're running your hand on the road by holding the steering wheel (I mean without the loss of your hand, that is). I love that feeling too. I can deal with potholes, heck, with the dirt roads around here anything is pretty rough. Thanks for the help, all.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dclafleur
'85 had slightly softer spring rates but a bigger sway bar. Still a pretty harsh ride though. I don't think it's unmanageable, just don't expect it to be a Cadillac. The biggest problem with the '84 is that it's a Crossfire, not a TPI. Nothing wrong with it, just different.
In hindsight i'd rather have the '84 and drop a carb on it. Its not as drastic as going from TPI to carb. The TPI is horribly designed as in too many problems, too many parts. When it works, its great though. Guess how many miles i've put on my '85 this year? Less than 1000 cause of the crappy electronics of the TPI.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Z51, What's the Deal?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
nferr
Racer

Originally Posted by Demonic85
In hindsight i'd rather have the '84 and drop a carb on it. Its not as drastic as going from TPI to carb. The TPI is horribly designed as in too many problems, too many parts. When it works, its great though. Guess how many miles i've put on my '85 this year? Less than 1000 cause of the crappy electronics of the TPI.
People like to blast the crossfire but I put over 10,000 miles on my 84 this year with no problem. In general the crossfire seems to be pretty reliable from what I've read.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I first started looking for a C4 I wasn't sure what I wanted so I looked at a large range of years. One of those cars was an 84 Z51. I loved the way it handled but since the car would be a DD I was afraid it would shake itself apart on the crappy NJ roads.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
motorholmes
Advanced

Originally Posted by FolkEngineer
I know getting an LT1 would be cheaper than modding the Crossfire, although I might get by cheaper by getting a shot-motor 84 and swapping for an LT1. That's a pipedream though, I'd prefer to buy a working car.
Well I might as well throw this out there...On another thread we've been talking about '85 and '86 chamber sizes and piston types and I think the guys settled on the fact that the iron-head c4s had 76cc chambers and flat-top pistons. With 64cc heads you'd have close to 10:1 c/r.

I recently bought a set of RHS vortec heads (64cc) fully assembled for $625. I ended up with a 372 hp/422 #tq engine with a pretty mild cam. With edelbrock's L98/vortec intake baseplate, the stock L98 hardware, injectors and a tune you could have a car that keeps up with LT1s, all for...ohhh...well under $2k? Considering your bottom end is still good.

Hey there are many ways to have fun with just about any 350 chevy- just gotta get the car you like.

Quick Reply: 84 Z51, What's the Deal?