C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Location of Horn & Antenna Relays in a 1985 Vett

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Tom Warren
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of Horn & Antenna Relays in a 1985 Vett

I am a newbie to this forum and to Corvettes. I have been involved with Little British Cars for a number of years, mainly MGB's but this my first Corvette. I acquired a 1985 Corvette Coupe in a trade a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to sort out all the little problems. I would like to ask if anyone can tell me the location of the Horn Relay and the Antenna Relay. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks , Tom W.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Default antenna relay location

I believe that the antenna relay is in the rear where you open the hatch. You will need to remove the plastic trim panel going across the back. It should be near the middle once you remove the panel. If your probem is that the antenna will not raise or lower, you need to replace the power antenna motor.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

The horn relay is behind the DIC (driver information center).The center of your dash above the radio.Welcome to the forum.I have had British cars too,I liked em.Get a service manual,perferably a Helms factory one,but for starters,get anyone you can afford,you will need it.No kidding.Also learn how to search this forum,there's alot of info.Good luck with your new ride.If you can work on MGB's you can work on a Vette.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Tom Warren
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info. I will try to check the horn relay tomorrow. I checked and found the wires were cut to the antenna. I hooked them back together and the motor ran but the mast would not go up and down. I assume that the gears are striped.

Gimmesome, I still have a couple of MGB's and am in the process of restoring one. You can see some pictures of the B's at the following site. <http://community.webshots.com/user/tombw>

Thanks again for the help,

Tom
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

My best guess is that the antenna keeped running,and would not retract when the the radio was off,and the previous owner stopped it by cutting the wires.Yes there is a ribbon that can be replaced,but I would lean to replacing the entire unit.It's a PITA,but very doable.Do a search on this forum, and you will find the method to do it,good luck!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by GIMMESOME
My best guess is that the antenna keeped running,and would not retract when the the radio was off,and the previous owner stopped it by cutting the wires.Yes there is a ribbon that can be replaced,but I would lean to replacing the entire unit.It's a PITA,but very doable.Do a search on this forum, and you will find the method to do it,good luck!
Same problem, I cut the wires too, until I buy a new antenna assembly.

The horn relay, as stated, is behind the DIC screen. The fuse for the horn/alarm is also back there.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

The best way to remove the antenna motor is to remove wheel and then remove the well liner. It is very easy to remove the well liner as it is bolted in. Once it is all removed, reach up inside the back fender and you will feel the large plastic retainer nut for the antenna. Remove it and the two bolts that mount the motor to the frame. Cut the wire to the relay as it is a PITA to remove. Install the new motor(NOT a universal type ) and splice the wires together. This is a very easy job. Believe me as I just did it. Good Luck! Note: Get the replacement motor that is a direct bolt on replacement as the universal types are a little tougher to install.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 12-20-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Bill Huffman
1st Gear

Originally Posted by GIMMESOME
The horn relay is behind the DIC (driver information center).The center of your dash above the radio.Welcome to the forum.I have had British cars too,I liked em.Get a service manual,perferably a Helms factory one,but for starters,get anyone you can afford,you will need it.No kidding.Also learn how to search this forum,there's alot of info.Good luck with your new ride.If you can work on MGB's you can work on a Vette.
I looked under the panel under the passenger side, the drivers side, and then behind the radio. The DIC should be easy to access. Is there
also an inline fuse there.? I have an '85 Coupe.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Location of Horn & Antenna Relays in a 1985 Vett

Quick Reply: Location of Horn & Antenna Relays in a 1985 Vett