Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Window tint procedure? What % tint is best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM
96_vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window tint procedure? What % tint is best?

I plan on getting all of my windows tinted. Ive called around and it seems all of the local tint shops remove the entire window from the door and remove the rear hatch to tint. Has anyone else had there windows tinted this way? Estimates range from $200- $300. It seems the rear hatch is the hardest to tint beacuse of the large curve in the glass, or so im told. Im not sure which % tint to go with, i guess borderline illegal. If you have some pics of your tint, post em! I would love to see how it looks, and what % it is. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 PM
all show and more go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatever's legal, you prob wont get pulled over for it but when ur cought (for example) speeding the cop will add it on!
Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by all show and more go
whatever's legal, you prob wont get pulled over for it but when ur cought (for example) speeding the cop will add it on!
I don't have a front plate and my windows are tinted. I have yet to get a ticket just driving my car here and there. BUT if I go to the local cruse hang outs I'll get 1 or 2 tickets a year.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 PM
RED UFO
Pro

I was a tinter in another life. It has been awhile but I don't thing much has changed.

First check your State laws on tinting the door glasses. Most States it is illegal. Southern States it is usually legal. If you do it even if it is illegal be prepared to be pulled over and told to remove it. Some States give Fix-it tickets some do not.

I am in Michigan and I warned my customers about the law but if they insisted I usually recommended 35% on the front doors and 20% or 5% on the back. The darker your hatch is the darker your door glasses will appear from the outside.

5% is Limo tint. You can consider this for your hatch but it will be near impossible to see out when backing up in a dimly lit area.

20% is about what you see in the back of most SUVs.

35% is a little lighter. 35% will look pretty dark the 5% on the back.

I never pulled glass. If the tinter is good he or she can do it in the car fine. They have to be good to do the back glass. Find a tinter that does it in one piece. They should be able to pull your door panels and get below the belt line just fine.

Good luck,

Al

Originally Posted by 96_vette
I plan on getting all of my windows tinted. Ive called around and it seems all of the local tint shops remove the entire window from the door and remove the rear hatch to tint. Has anyone else had there windows tinted this way? Estimates range from $200- $300. It seems the rear hatch is the hardest to tint beacuse of the large curve in the glass, or so im told. Im not sure which % tint to go with, i guess borderline illegal. If you have some pics of your tint, post em! I would love to see how it looks, and what % it is. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM
tcr75
Racer

remember that if you have a dark interior such as black then the tint will appear darker then it is. I had my cadillac done 35% all around and it was just fine,fyi it had tan interior. I am having my vette redone next week. the tint that is on it is old and of cheap quality. It will be done with all glass on the car for $150. Most likely I will go 35% because I have black interior but I may go 20%. Just have them cut a 6" by 6" piece of each and put them on one window side by side so help you determine. If I recall right you can go 20% in Washington, atleast it was that way when I lived there ten years ago
Old 12-26-2007, 08:13 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 96_vette
If you have some pics of your tint, post em! I would love to see how it looks, and what % it is. Thanks.
This is 5 % on back and 35% on side

This one is 20% side and back
Old 12-26-2007, 11:17 PM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

St Jude Donor '14

5% rear 18% sides.....side are a little dark at night but oh well.....

Old 12-27-2007, 08:43 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

I have 5% on sides and rear. I have no problems backing my car up at night. My avatar pic is the only one I have (you cannot hardly see it though).
Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

I've got 5% on the rear and 20% on the sides. If I had to do it over again, I'd go 20% on the rear and 32% on the sides. For the states where tint is not illegal, you can almost always tint the rear whatever shade you want. It's the sides that must be a certain tint and that's usually around 32%. This just means that 32% of the light is able to penetrate. At night, it's difficlut to see much through the back window.

I never heard of removing the window to tint it. My guy was able to tint the entire rear hatch with one piece and no removal was necessary. I suggest you keep looking until you find someone that can.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:25 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

I have 5% on the rear & 20% on the sides...imo, perfect on a black car.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:41 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

5% All teh way around....

My tinter didn't have to take any glass out at all....
Old 12-27-2007, 05:42 PM
all show and more go
Pro

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA
I have 5% on the rear & 20% on the sides...imo, perfect on a black car.

amen to that!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Jackson72
7th Gear

35% reflective on the sides. 5% on the rear hatch. 35 is the legal limit on the side but the reflective version is illegal regardless of the percent. I am thinking about changing it to 10% reflective on the sides and leave it 5% on the back.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

If someone has to take the windows our or remove the door panels STAY CLEAR!!! they suck. Its no problem to tint the windows with everything in and on. the back is the hardest cars we ever did of course im talking about the vettes. 1 piece is really good for the back hatch but 3 is also just as good. Either way it should only take about 1 hour to 3 hours and should be 175-300. DO not try to do this yourself, Unles you have done it yourself.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:30 PM
usaviator
Intermediate

This site offers rules and regs related to tinting state-by-state:

http://www.tintcenter.com/

Can also google-- tinted window law in xxx --and it will pop up that state within the above website.

Get notified of new replies

To Window tint procedure? What % tint is best?

Quick Reply: Window tint procedure? What % tint is best?