Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ZF6 won't shift into 1st or rev when cold. What's broke?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
JCD
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ZF6 won't shift into 1st or rev when cold. What's broke?

The car is a 1990 6-speed (near 100k miles) and the issue is that, when the car is cold, it won’t shift into first or reverse; no grinding, it just won’t left the shifter go into the gate. Once it warms up it shifts fine. Starting off in second works, but this is obviously indicative of worse things to come. Could this just be the clutch slave cylinder? Or is it a ZF-6 fluid or clutch problem?

The aamco mechanic who, says he owns an LT-1 vette, says it's both the slave cylinder and the clutch, and wants $1200 for the fix. He got that from a quick test drive, and that tells me he's either very good or very bad.

What do you think?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:10 PM
93cruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100K means the clutch is ready for replacement but it does not mean it is causing your problem. Have you checked the clutch fluid reservoir? It sonds like the fluid level is low.
93cruiser
Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 PM
timmy 93
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93cruiser
100K means the clutch is ready for replacement but it does not mean it is causing your problem. Have you checked the clutch fluid reservoir? It sonds like the fluid level is low.
93cruiser
Check your clutch fluid reservoir,you have to move the ECM out of the way to get at it.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JCD
The aamco mechanic who, says he owns an LT-1 vette, says it's both the slave cylinder and the clutch, and wants $1200 for the fix. He got that from a quick test drive, and that tells me he's either very good or very bad.

What do you think?
I think you should avoid AAMCO. Their cost for the fix is way out of line. I had a dealership tell me it would cost about a grand to replace a slave cylinder. Said the tranny needed to be removed.

Gross incompetence/robbery.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Stay away from AAMCO at any cost! Oh, the horror stories. I took my previous '89 coupe there and received 7 transmission rebuilds in 18 months. They had the valve body all wrong. Ever wonder why AAMCO and MAACO have the same letters? Same owners.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is caused from your clutch not releasing fully. Check the fluid level as advised above. If that does not work you probably need a new slave/master. $1200 for the job is robbery. Parts run about $250-300 for the both of them. They are not "that" hard to install either.

Avoid driving the car if you can as you will put extra wear and tear on your tranny syncros if you do.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

The price he quoted is actually cheaper than going to a dealer(not by much, but cheaper).
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Dittos on master/slave cylinders...

If you haven't serviced your clutch master/slave system, i.e. changed fluid, etc, it might be as simple as that, or at least it may buy you some time, as the cylinders may need to be replaced or overhauled. (For more info on the clutch and maintenance, see http://www.zfdoc.com/ ).

If your clutch isn't slipping, you have some time, but depending on how it has been used, you may be "getting down there". So, you might be shopping for a clutch kit. NOTE: I would recommend doing it before it starts to slip tho. That way, chances are you can get by just fine with a pressure plate/disc/bearings swap. If the clutch starts slipping, i.e. metal to metal, then you might need to replace the flywheel too, and THAT is $$$, and you want to avoid, if possible.

The OEM setup can be had for a good price at-

http://www.mamotorworks.com/

- good people to deal with, and if you want new master/slave cylinders, they have good prices on those too.

As for AAmco...don't get me started!!!! Oh, the personal experiences I could tell you about...

If you decide to do it yourself, I can highly recommend you get those beam plates from Bill B at ZFdoc.com. If nothing else, they make putting that beam back on a breeze, compared to what it is like to put those washers and nuts back on without the plates.

Lastly, Don't hesitate to get that clutch issue fixed. Continuing to crash it into gear is going to result in having to replace the $yncros...and that you don't need if you can avoid it.

Good luck!

P.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
The price he quoted is actually cheaper than going to a dealer(not by much, but cheaper).
Not if the dealership charges correctly for the repair. As I mentioned, the Chevy dealer -- I used to go to -- quoted a high-priced based on transmission removal. That's unnecessary.

I actually contacted a second dealership (slightly further away). They correctly quoted the job at about $300 labor.

I have not done the r/r yet because I'm checking on correct installation of slave cylinder seal. And, the intake is off now anyway.

Gregg
Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer replaced the slave on my ZF6 and charged 2 hours labor. $200 and I supplied the slave. (He couldn't find one). They don't have to pull the transmission....that's crazy!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ok now I'm confused...

Originally Posted by JCD
The aamco mechanic...says it's both the slave cylinder and the clutch, and wants $1200
He is saying $1,200 for the clutch and slave cylinder right? Not just the slave cylinder?

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Their cost for the fix is way out of line...Said the tranny needed to be removed.

Gross incompetence/robbery.
Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
...quoted a high-priced based on transmission removal. That's unnecessary.
You're talking slave cylinder only right?

I agree that the hydraulics should be checked out first and the slave replaced if needed before anyone is paid to replace the clutch. But if it needs it, $1,200 for both isn't that much. Is it?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:01 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
He is saying $1,200 for the clutch and slave cylinder right? Not just the slave cylinder? You're talking slave cylinder only right?

I agree that the hydraulics should be checked out first and the slave replaced if needed before anyone is paid to replace the clutch. But if it needs it, $1,200 for both isn't that much. Is it?
Right!

I didn't say anything about a clutch. Two Chevy dealerships in Kansas City (one is the Superior dealership bragged about on this forum -- for GM parts prices) said the tranny needs to be removed to service the slave cylinder.

Give me a break....

gp

Get notified of new replies

To ZF6 won't shift into 1st or rev when cold. What's broke?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZF6 won't shift into 1st or rev when cold. What's broke?